Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, thanks to Colton, aka shinermiller, for spending about 7 hours with me working on these traction bars for my truck. Colton was the fabricator, welder, and brains behind everything. I was able to get my hands dirty a little bit and help with some of the cutting, grinding, and drilling, but no doubt this project belongs to Colton! Thanks again buddy.

Let me give some details on the traction bars. I bought teflon-lined 3/4" heims (25,000 pound rating) for the front and rear. I also bought misalignment spacers, jam nuts, weld-in threaded bungs and 4 stainless steel 1/2" bolts, washers, and nylon-insert lock nuts. The rear parts use left-hand threads heims, bungs, and jam nuts, and the front uses right-hand threaded heims, bungs, and jam nuts. I also bought replacement u-bolt plates so my truck didn't have any down time during the fabrication. We then bought the plate steel and steel bars for the fabrication. Unlike the PRG bars for sale, I used heim joints on the front and rear so the preload can be adjusted, and to allow for greater adjustment and suspension movement. Everything is custom-built from scratch, except the u-bolt plate, which we modified and welded on the reinforced tabs for the heim joints.

I've painted my rear u-bolt plates, but I haven't yet painted the front brackets or the traction bars themselves..however, that will come this week once I get time to sand them down and paint them.

I'll display picture of the completed front bracket, rear bracket, and traction bars, however please visit the link below to my photo album to view the fabrication pictures.

Click here to view the entire photo album of the project

Front bracket:

Front bracket installed:

Rear bracket:

Rear bracket installed:

Traction bars from rear:

Traction bars from side:

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
notice a differance in handling? looks good, wish I wasn't working away from home so I could have a place and time to mod my truck some more.

·
Registered
5,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jasonmotox said:
notice a differance in handling? looks good, wish I wasn't working away from home so I could have a place and time to mod my truck some more.
It's a night and day difference. It feels like a whole new truck. No more wheel hop. No more axle wrap. Faster acceleration. It's amazing.

·
Premium Member
3,447 Posts
How much did it cost you to fab them up?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Why all the work on a lifted 2wd truck?

·
Registered
969 Posts
^^^ I guess you've never hit the gas on pavement?

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
AgTitan06 said:
Right now, we're just making one additional set for the Titan and one more for the Frontier. Titan one is already sold though. It's a lot of work for not a lot of margin.
Have them brackets cut with a laser or waterjet machine in lots of 20 or so.

then set up some jigs so you can weld em faster. you could crank them out with a lot less effort if you put some effort into setup. Not to say you didn't already, I know how it is to fabricate something with hand powertools. It's my favorite hobby.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I just wanted to know what size tubing you went with and what the length was, good job by the way i think i have something to keep me busy my next paycheck.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts