Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Had Front In Collision At 45 Or 50 Mph. T-bone A Car And After It's All Over I Realized The Air Bags Didn't Deploy, My Granddaughter Was In Front Passenger Sit. Heavy Damage To Front Had To Be Towed Away. I Have A 04 Titan King Cab.
Is This Normal?

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
The insurance company or Nissan would have to anaylize the blackbox recorder to determine how much the vehicle slowed in the 5-10 seconds before impact and G-force recorded (if it is), exact angle of impact, so on... We can't do anymore than conjecture. Real science is better answer. Request it of Insurance company first, then Nissan if needed. Nissan has an 800# for customer helpline that may be best place to call.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TitanBlue said:
The insurance company or Nissan would have to anaylize the blackbox recorder to determine how much the vehicle slowed in the 5-10 seconds before impact and G-force recorded (if it is), exact angle of impact, so on... We can't do anymore than conjecture. Real science is better answer. Request it of Insurance company first, then Nissan if needed. Nissan has an 800# for customer helpline that may be best place to call.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH
DEBBIE MC
MISSISSIPPI

·
Registered
80 Posts
The airbags on modern cars are designed to only deploy when the sensors detect a large enough impact to merit their deployment. It has everything to do with energy absorption, angle of impact etc and is not strictly speed-related. If you are OK and don't have any major injuries (hopefully!) then airbags were not deemed necessary by the forces of the impact. My friend recently was hit head-on at 30mph in his 2007 Mustang by a Ford Explorer. The car was totalled but the airbags didn't deploy. He was uninjured.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I hit a cement light pole at 120 mph and the airbags deployed. The seat belt worked, though, and I didn't touch it.

Yes, I was young and stupid and fortunate enough to have survived that stage in my life.

Andrew

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
You are probably lucky they didnt. If your not injured you might have been injured (burns on arms mainly) and your grand daughter might have been killed depending on size of her. It sounds like she is young. I am glad no one was seriously hurt. Best of luck to ya.

·
Banned
27,783 Posts
Hi and Welcome to Titantalk!

The Titan is one of the safest trucks on the road!!

If they didn't deploy, it was for a reason, maybe like Titanblue explained.

If you hit the brakes, and slowed to below 35(which can happen quickly), they would have not deployed!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you to everyone who responded to my question. I am very greatful that they did not deploy, that's always been my worse fear (air bag going off)
but at the time I didn't think of it. I think maybe some of you are right and it wasn't enough force. I just hope if I ever do need it that it does deploy. That's what I worry about.
We are all good. My granddaughter in the front with me is eleven but, she 5'5"
The only short coming I have found with my truck is she is too long legged for the back seat. And she is steady growing!! Thanks again for all your help.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
What cracks me up is all these people in movies hitting the fronts of cars with baseball bats like that's all it takes. I've tagged people's rear ends a few times in my car and never set them off. It's a good thing... they come out so fast, they'd do more damage than they'd help at 35 mph.

Andrew

·
Registered
969 Posts
bags arent supposed to deploy at under 40mph, or 30mph, depending on the force the sensors sense.. generally for most crashes 40mph is the cut off point

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Everybody, well my truck was finally moved from the Nissan dealer to the Ford body shop.Our local dealer just moved into a new location and as big as the building is I thought they had a detail shop in the back.Lord knows how long it will be before I get my truck back.I am driving my Astor Van for now.The ONLY thing I can say for it, is the fuel bill has dropped a good bit. Just wanting to give you a update, thanks again.
Debbie and Girls

1 - 13 of 13 Posts