Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’ve had this truck less than a week and getting the issues out of the way early, I guess.
day 1 I replaced rear diff. vent
day 3 a/c quits working. Was blowing cold. Thought was a blend door. did all work. Nope.

found small pin hole (rock hit?) in a/c condenser. I decided to upgrade the tranny cooler while that far in and do a complete radiator bypass.

need air condenser and drier (1 unit)
haynes 679 tranny cooler
would recommend having extra hose and clamps
tranny fluid
caps for tranny lines I used bolts I had laying around and clamped them down.
A handful of zip ties.
you can take it to get charged but my good friend runs the refrigeration repair place on island
you must pull a vacuum to get the moisture out and test the system before charging. Failure to do so will make it not work as well or at all.

I was stuck at home while the wife was at work. I also had to pick the kids up at school. Needless to say I was moving And had to improvise.

step remove air intake. I have a fancy cold air intake was on when I bought it. Not pictured but if you can’t do that you probably shouldn’t do this.

next remove radiator Fan shroud two bolts behind the radiator. I’m Told this can come apart but I couldn’t figure it out for the life of me.

remove the skid plate if so equipped.
remove radiator lines on top. I do bottom later as I don’t like to lie in that stuff longer than necessary.

next remove the radiator fan. This was a major pain. There are 4-10mm bolts. When I would pull on it the pulley would spin. im staging this photo to explain what I did.

this way you can break the bolts loose. You really need these ratcheting flex head wrenches. They are worth their weight in gold. use 6 pts when you can. I did 2 from top and 2 From bottom. Break all loose. Just do first 3 then number 4. The 3rd one was fairly loose for me and came right apart when I put a wrench on it.

pull radiator shroud and fan out together. That’s how I did it, anyway.

remove the radiator. 2 bolts on top 8mm and 2 bolts that hold air condenser on. 8mm

I was pushed for time and I cut these to reassemble.

lift the condenser it has pegs that mount to bottom of radiator.
drain radiator, remove hose, remove tranny cooler lines.

i added a Haynes 679 from oreillys for $65. I decided to keep the aux cooler as well and bypass the radiator. the 679 is rated for 10k pounds and was an easy install.

I came out of the feed line out of the transmission into the new cooler and out of new cooler into aux cooler. And from aux cooler back to its oem port for tranny. I didn’t have enough hose in the kit and I had to get creative. Not my cleanest install ever but it works. Learn from my mistake here.

I removed the out line from the radiator into the aux cooler. I repurposed it to feed from new cooler.

I also removed the hot line from the tranny to radiator and used it to make a 180 loop be careful setting this up. More later on the condenser line.

Tie the lines back together

reinstall is reverse of disassembly.
here’s the results, it was normally at 1/2 on temp gauge. I feel much better about towing heavy as I will tow my 25’ boat weighs about 7500-8000lbs. Much lower and that was after 30mins of driving. I was obviously stopped when I took pic.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts