Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i came across a thread on titantalk that described how to increase airinduction on titans by removing a few inches off the plastic intake tube...so i was curious to see if this would apply to my frontier as well....1 hour later, here it is....

i fired up the vq and as expected the sound of the air rushing in through the filter as i hit the throttle only changed slightly....to be honest i didnt expect much from taking 2 inches off a plastic tube anyway. but hey, id say it added 1hp to make me feel better about the wasted hour.

then i took it out for a spin...and again, it didnt feel any different than before....took it out to an on ramp on I10 where the speed limit is 75mph. and ran a quick idle to 3000rpm first through 5th...obviously there was no room for the 3000 in 6th......

here it is...
http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/ii245/mastifftoby/?action=view&current=Picture289.flv

id say 0-60 in 10 seconds is impressive going uphill at 3000rpm. whoever said the little vq has no bottom end :rolleyes:

with the 400+ lb-ft torque most of you have on your titans i wonder if it could outaccelerate my fronty given the same conditions....just an innocent little thought...

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
Flush to the box, and clean up all the little plastic shreds on the end. The smoother it is, the better for airflow and so you don't suck tiny bits into your engine.

When I did this, I also smoothed down the mold ridge on the inside of the pipe on the bend... just in case. There was enough of a ridge to catch a fingernail. Every little bit helps. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Wiscdave said:
Cut it flush to the box for best results.

i agree get it all outa there better results

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
I still say a 2" opening is a 2" opening. Basic physics would tell you that shortening it by a few inches can't do much..if anything. Widening it I can understand. Now if we were talking about a few feet being removed you could then claim removing some resistance...can't be much of that in a few inches. I will agree though that at least the mod can't hurt anything.

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
another hour another horsepower. here it is....

i must admit this time the air intake sound is louder, leading me to believe more air is sucked in...say 5% more ? lol... now i can officially say im making 270hp at the crank, with mobil 1 fully synthetic oil, air box mod, and fram tough guard air and oil filter....

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
mastiff said:
another hour another horsepower. here it is....

i must admit this time the air intake sound is louder, leading me to believe more air is sucked in...say 5% more ? lol... now i can officially say im making 270hp at the crank, with mobil 1 fully synthetic oil, air box mod, and fram tough guard air and oil filter....
No more air is getting in. You've just retuned the sound (sort of how a BOSE wave radio works)..which is why the intake was engineered that way...to make it quiet, not to hinder airflow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts