Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told when I bought my KC LE that there was an "alarm system" that included a motion and glass breakage detector as well as NVIS. Well the "alarm" as it turns out is only activated when a door is opened and the system is in the "armed" mode. NVIS will prevent (for the most part) your truck from being driven away, but the faux alarm will not prevent (nor detect) someone smashing a window or climbing into the bed and grabbing what they want. I could get pissed (again!) at the dealership for mis-leading me (I could also get pissed at myself for not completely reading the owners manual beforehand), but that won't get me anywhere. So, I am once again gonna bite the bullet and do a real security system install myself. I have bought the Commando 870T (http://www.commandocaralarms.com/itemdetails.asp?ProductID=1410) and am going to install it over the next day or two. I will let y'all know how it goes (there sure are a lot of connections to be made)...

Wish me luck!

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
newenglandtitan said:
but the faux alarm will not prevent (nor detect) someone smashing a window or climbing into the bed and grabbing what they want.
You mean it doesn't have one of those "real" alarms that you hear all the time and that everybody ignores anyway?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
exactly!

Now I'll have an alarm that will make a lot of noise and be ignored - but I did it myself!!

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
newenglandtitan said:
Now I'll have an alarm that will make a lot of noise and be ignored - but I did it myself!!
I like the part about "will instantly alert you should your vehicle be violated." I wonder if they have something for wives and girlfriends.

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
bestatchess said:
I like the part about "will instantly alert you should your vehicle be violated." I wonder if they have something for wives and girlfriends.
Now if Nissan could come up with a coin tray instantly.....

·
Registered
740 Posts
bestatchess said:
Then you would need a special alarm to protect your coin tray.
hehehe both of yoouuus :teethmast

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
or you could go to your local armored vehicle manufacturing shop and gets some bullet proof glass... :jester: plus ain't nobody drivin off in ya caaah without using the special nissan key.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I am probably going to install an alarm, but mostly for convience purposes of remote start and remote windows.

If they are going to steal your truck they are going to get no matter what you got into it. :crying:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Remote Windows? down only :crying:

You might already know this but your truck already has the remote window roll down feature. Refer to the manual!!! I have tried it and it does work. pressing the unlock button twice then holding it down... like magic all the windows rolldown letting the heat and new truck smell out.

Good luck with the alarm install. :cheers:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not bad for a rookie...

Alarm is installed and quite functional with...

Shock sensor
Microwave sensor
Glass break sensor
Door and hood sensors
Thermal monitoring feature w/auto start
Paging feature
Remote start w/all safety features intact

Took 1 1/2 days (plus a total of about 8 hours prep time)

I ran out of time before tackling the factory wireless, but that will wait for better weather. This project had a side benefit of forcing me to clean the garage... hunny is happy about that so she tolerated my being in the garage for the weekend.

If this is something you are intending on doing yourself, I have 2 pieces of advise, 1 if you can afford it, pay someone! and 2, if you can't afford it and you have questions, I will be glad to try and help - just ask!! All companies I spoke, with will not install an alarm they didn't sell you and the best price I got installed with the same features I now have is $600.00. I did it for under $200.00 and it works like a champ.

cu

:cheers:

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
paranoid are we? will an alarm keep an idiot from vandalizing your truck? how about prevent someone from keying your truck? shhit is going to happen regardless of what alarm system you get. any obnoxious alarm system with all its fancy sirens and lights and leds and etc. is only going to antagonize a vandal, thief, or common moron into screwing with your truck. my neighbor did the same thing you are doing, but that did not stop vandals from keying the paint on his lexus. i'm sorry to say but you should've saved your money, imho...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
give some more thought to what you wrote...

Paranoid has nothing to do with an alarm. It is no more than notification that your vehicle is being messed with (on purpose or on accident). Same with a house...an alarm won't stop an intruder, but will tell you one is near (or has been near). And now with my 2 way remote, I can browse the mall and have piece of mind that my rig is safe and sound (or not but POSSIBLY identify the "who").

my .02

·
Registered
86 Posts
I Just got my $49 BullDog alarm with Starter Kill from www.efunctional.com for my XE (no alarm/power stuff).

I know it's not theft proof, but if they want my turck, they will have to work at it some, and hurt there ears while working.

Anyway, it's been my experenice that if the Siren goes off petty thiefs run.

Real theifs will get anything they really want, and why would they want an XE when then can have a LE?

LOL

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
newenglandtitan said:
It is no more than notification that your vehicle is being messed with (on purpose or on accident).

my .02

look my fellow superior truck owner all i'm saying is an alarm is not going to stop a vandal that's all. he wants to smash your window to piss you off or scratch your paint job up, an alarm is not going to hinder him from doing so and running off into the abyss, unless the high tech alarm system installed somehow shoots a tracking device onto the vandal and tracks him. let me just reiterate that without the original key he's not going anywhere. straight from the Nissan Titan link: The Nissan Vehicle Immobilizer System makes it more difficult for anyone to steal your truck without your actual key. A microchip inside the key sends a signal telling the engine to start. Without the key, the chip, and the signal, your Titan won't start.

break my window - take my truck, yeah i don't think so. :jester:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
agreed!

I agree completely...still love the new alarm with the bells and whistles...but it stop squat.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts