Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't get much feedback on the towing board so I thought I would try here. I am getting ready to move to Alaska this coming summer and wondered what you guys thought about pulling a pretty heavy load about 3500miles up the Al-Can to Anchorage. Do you think the Titan is up to it? I realize it can handle it but would a diesel be worth the extra expense. I am looking at getting a Pro4x King Cab, what a great rig, but would a diesel be a better option. Also, do you think Airbags are worth the investment. Can't wait to get to the great white north.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
800 Posts
i would stick with the titan-sounds like you want to stay with the titan and probably will regret getting rid of yours.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice. I am actually in the process of selling my Tacoma. I almost picked up a Titan about 2 weeks ago but couldn't get enough for my trade. I am mainly thinking about whether I should buy a Titan or try and get into a diesel...once I get my Tacoma sold. Keep the opinions coming.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,032 Posts
If you are only going to make the haul once, no need to upgrade for a diesel. If you were doing to be doing it on a regular basis, then you may consider it. Stick with the Titan. It hauls great, especially that size load. Good luck with the move!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,690 Posts
I guess my post got lost with the crash. The Titan will be able to handle what your asking without a doubt, but yes a diesel will do the job better. If money was no object I would have a king ranch Diesel in my yard now. My titan does just fine. Remember that diesel is almost 50 cents more here a gallon(3.49) right now. Can you make up the MPG difference that will off set the cost? If you do get one make sure you get everything done to it that you want down there because everything cost an arm and a leg up here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,557 Posts
Geez...by the thread name, I thought they were moving Alaska! The only way I'd go to Alaska is...if they moved it to Miami!

Anyhow...you don't mention the weight you'll be hauling. My truck pulls our 8500+ LB TT with ease. Now I have a new PRO-4X CC LWB so it should do even better with the extra 20" wheelbase. You'll do just fine with the Titan. But if I were hauling that much weight every day or so, I'd go for a heavier duty truck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,099 Posts
Also - dont forget the cold (like anyone could forget that). I've never been to Alaska, but I'm guessing that desiels in Alaska spend a lot of time plugged in so you can get them to start. That and gelled fuel has to really suck...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,690 Posts
Clancy said:
Also - dont forget the cold (like anyone could forget that). I've never been to Alaska, but I'm guessing that desiels in Alaska spend a lot of time plugged in so you can get them to start. That and gelled fuel has to really suck...
Not bad in anchorage. Low today was 7. But folks do plug in here at 20. Will your truck start if not yea, will it be happy, no. The fuel doesn't gell because it is winter blended with kerosene I think. I guess it would freeze up if it got cold enough but thre are alot of diesels in this state.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, alot got lost in the crash. Anyway, here are a few of the answers to your questions. I will be hauling probably....6kish or a more to Anchorage....3500 miles. Plus when I get there I am hoping to get a good size boat. Probably 20-22 footer. I won't be pulling it all the time but pretty regular duing during the good mohts.

Cold in anchorage isn't a big deal. It gets colder in MN. A friend of mines neighbor has a diesel that sits outside in anchorage all winter and most people...whether gas or diesel plug in during the cold days.

Money...don't have any. I am coming fresh outta grad school so I don't have much. My options are a gas nissan, toyota, dodge, or used diesel. I am pretty sure the Titan is the best for the money but a used diesel might be better for hauling. Toyota way too expensive...but what about a dodge. It has hauled alot of weight for alot of years. Do you think the nissan is as good. Given the 50 cents more per gallon....wow it just doesn't even come close when it comes to diesel. Gas is still more economical. So there it is. Any opinions/advice.

Ohhh and I start work in April but we will probably move in August. Road shouldn't be too bad at all.

Thanks for all the help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey AF-medic. If we get a chance I'll buy ya a beer. Thanks for your work. I love anchorage. Spent a fair bit of time there and damn....its a pretty good town.

There was a guy from GA that was also moving up. His post was lost. If you are still moving up we should try and work together or maybe share stories to help out. Let me know and I'll do what I can. Good luck in AK. What an amazing place.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,557 Posts
PatrickL said:
Wow, alot got lost in the crash. Anyway, here are a few of the answers to your questions. I will be hauling probably....6kish or a more to Anchorage....3500 miles. Plus when I get there I am hoping to get a good size boat. Probably 20-22 footer. I won't be pulling it all the time but pretty regular duing during the good mohts.

Cold in anchorage isn't a big deal. It gets colder in MN. A friend of mines neighbor has a diesel that sits outside in anchorage all winter and most people...whether gas or diesel plug in during the cold days.

Money...don't have any. I am coming fresh outta grad school so I don't have much. My options are a gas nissan, toyota, dodge, or used diesel. I am pretty sure the Titan is the best for the money but a used diesel might be better for hauling. Toyota way too expensive...but what about a dodge. It has hauled alot of weight for alot of years. Do you think the nissan is as good. Given the 50 cents more per gallon....wow it just doesn't even come close when it comes to diesel. Gas is still more economical. So there it is. Any opinions/advice.

Ohhh and I start work in April but we will probably move in August. Road shouldn't be too bad at all.

Thanks for all the help.
6 or 7k LBS is nothing for this truck, and the HEMI Ram can't touch the Titans towing ease from all the comparos I've read. And a 20-22 foot boat won't weigh any more so you'll do fine. Good luck on the move.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,690 Posts
PatrickL said:
Hey AF-medic. If we get a chance I'll buy ya a beer. Thanks for your work. I love anchorage. Spent a fair bit of time there and damn....its a pretty good town.

There was a guy from GA that was also moving up. His post was lost. If you are still moving up we should try and work together or maybe share stories to help out. Let me know and I'll do what I can. Good luck in AK. What an amazing place.
No problem. Let me know when you get here and W'll get us a cold one. If you need any information or need ot know something fill free to pm me.Got about a foot of snow yesterday.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just what I wanted to here HVT. It is so much easier to swallow what people say when you like it :hahano: Anyway, I like it but would be interested in more opinions.

Can't wait to get there. Nice to hear you guys got snow. If I get a chance I'll shoot you a message. At the very minimum I would get to check out your truck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,557 Posts
PatrickL said:
Just what I wanted to here HVT. It is so much easier to swallow what people say when you like it :hahano: Anyway, I like it but would be interested in more opinions.

Can't wait to get there. Nice to hear you guys got snow. If I get a chance I'll shoot you a message. At the very minimum I would get to check out your truck.
Remember, I tow the TT in my avitar multiple times a year so...I speak with some 1st hand experience. I've never towed it 3500 miles but a few hundred at a time, and the last mile tows just like the 1st so it shouldn't be any different on a longer trek.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
HVT, how much does your TT weigh and have you towed it in the hills. How did it handle steep grades. I have heard a few people talking about the tranny's heating up pretty good in the hills. What has been your experience? There are several passes that I will have to go through to get up there. I don't think they are as big as Donner Pass right here near Reno but I am sure they are just as steep.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,557 Posts
PatrickL said:
HVT, how much does your TT weigh and have you towed it in the hills. How did it handle steep grades. I have heard a few people talking about the tranny's heating up pretty good in the hills. What has been your experience? There are several passes that I will have to go through to get up there. I don't think they are as big as Donner Pass right here near Reno but I am sure they are just as steep.
I've hauled that puppy 6 hrs up thru the hills/mountains of Vermont one summer. Loved it....oh except the gas mileage which varies while towing between 7 and 11 MPG depending on terrain.
The tranny will NEVER heat up if you do like you're supposed to and tow in 4th gear and don't use OD (that's in the owners manual which some choose not to follow I guess).
It tows our TT up long grades with no sweat. In fact, I can't remember hauling uphill and not being able to pick up speed when needed. The desent feature incorperated in the tranny programming helps keeps speed down on long downhill slopes too.
Just to help put you at ease a little, I had an 04 Titan and just traded it for an 08 Titan mainly because of its' towing abilities. Because if I didn't have the TT to tow, I'd have gone with something a little smaller like a Frontier or something.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
PatrickL said:
Hey AF-medic. If we get a chance I'll buy ya a beer. Thanks for your work. I love anchorage. Spent a fair bit of time there and damn....its a pretty good town.

There was a guy from GA that was also moving up. His post was lost. If you are still moving up we should try and work together or maybe share stories to help out. Let me know and I'll do what I can. Good luck in AK. What an amazing place.
I'll be doing the move too. from Fort Irwin California to Fort Wainwright and plan on towing a trailer but not worried about issue's with the Titan have faith in her but will be down Anchorage many a 4 day weekends either cruising the strip (nothern lights blvd) or ripping it up at Jim Creek. We should start talking about a Titan meet, discuss dates and maybe dyno?:idea:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,690 Posts
pogi69x said:
I'll be doing the move too. from Fort Irwin California to Fort Wainwright and plan on towing a trailer but not worried about issue's with the Titan have faith in her but will be down Anchorage many a 4 day weekends either cruising the strip (nothern lights blvd) or ripping it up at Jim Creek. We should start talking about a Titan meet, discuss dates and maybe dyno?:idea:

Let me know when you get out this way and I Will go down to Jim's creek with you. I actually live off of N. Lights. I think there is only one dyno place here in anchorage. I think we could probably organize a meet this summer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
800 Posts
AF-Medic said:
Let me know when you get out this way and I Will go down to Jim's creek with you. I actually live off of N. Lights. I think there is only one dyno place here in anchorage. I think we could probably organize a meet this summer.
i am all over that!! its about time people want to try and meet, i was thinking test and tune at the drags in palmer. or maybe even a fishing trip... what ever it is i am game.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
titaninak said:
i am all over that!! its about time people want to try and meet, i was thinking test and tune at the drags in palmer. or maybe even a fishing trip... what ever it is i am game.....
I'm down, how much you think it would cost for the dyno?
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top