Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so according to NTB my alignment is within spec but my front tires are still ridin on the outside edges n its wearing them down. When its parked on a flat level surface u can see that wheels r angled slighty. I dont know what else to do. Did sum searching on the forum and cant figure it out. Btw i have an 04 4x4 with the prg extended travel kit. Idk if the the camber kit from prg would make difference but considering i have an 04 it already has the camber bolts... Any help or ideas would be apprecited. Thanks

·
Registered
365 Posts
I think that it's a Titan thing. Titans are known for wearing out the outside of the front tires. It's been awhile since I looked at the specs on the Titan, but just because it is within specs doesn't mean it straight. Also, you can't tell if the alignment is right just by looking. The front tires actually change camber and caster when the truck is moving forward. I can tell you that NTB isn't the best place to get an alignment done right. You need to find a shop that has a Hunter machine and find a tech that knows what they are doing. I actually have a dealer that knows what they are doing and put the specs right where I asked them too, not where they thought they should be.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Hey, another Irish, lol. My 08 did the same thing and it was w/in alignment specs but still ate the outer edges of tires pretty badly.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
anybody know what causes the inside edge to cup?

·
Registered
422 Posts

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Thanks, I was thinking shocks myself. The tires have 45k on them and are actually holding up well, aside from the cupping. I rotate them alot and actually had them flipped on the rims recently.
Sorry about the hi-jack OP.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think that it's a Titan thing. Titans are known for wearing out the outside of the front tires. It's been awhile since I looked at the specs on the Titan, but just because it is within specs doesn't mean it straight. Also, you can't tell if the alignment is right just by looking. The front tires actually change camber and caster when the truck is moving forward. I can tell you that NTB isn't the best place to get an alignment done right. You need to find a shop that has a Hunter machine and find a tech that knows what they are doing. I actually have a dealer that knows what they are doing and put the specs right where I asked them too, not where they thought they should be.
when i tried to tell they guy it still wasnt looking right and riding on the uotside edge he also tried to tell me that i probably had too much air in my tire...i mean really. i couldnt believe he was serious i just laughed n said ok sure. when u went to the dealer had them put the specs where u wanted, how did u figure out what specs to give him? I definitely plan taking it to another shop but maybe if i have a lil info on what i can give them then maybe they can get it right.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I will have to pull the spec sheet when I get home tonight. I know that I wanted equal caster and camber and wanted the toe pretty tight. I also wanted allot of caster. Every shop I went too kept trying to offset the caster and camber. I also sat in the truck when they set the alignment so I could set the steering wheel straight (you would be surprised how difficult it is to find somebody to get the wheel dead straight) and so that the toe was set with my weight in the truck. Did you get a spec sheet from NTB? If so, what did they set yours too?

·
Registered
309 Posts
My 04 has the same issue.. seems even more of an issue now that i installed the Bilstein Leveling struts. Even though they do the alignment still looks like the outside edges are wearing more than normal and from the front of the truck you can tell that it defiantly has some positive camber goin.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Camber -0.1 - 0.7 positive ...spec range -0.5 to 1.1
Caster 2.7 - 2.6 positive...spec range - 1.5 to 3.0 (I prefer the high side)
Toe 0.11 - 0.13 positive...spec range - .07 to .15 (Toe in good, toe out bad)

Cross Camber -.8...spec range -0.8 to 0.8
Cross Caster -0.1....spec range -0.8 to 0.8
Total Toe .24....spec range 0.14 to 0.30

This is where I have mine set. I like a heavy steering wheel so I set the Caster has high as I could. I also went on the high side on the toe for a couple of reasons. The camber I just tried to get it as close as I could to 0.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Mine is within spec and it for sure has positive camber also. You can get cam bolts and adjust it out of specs which I thought of doing, I don't drive mine much so I am not super worried about it. I only drive my truck about 8K per year, had it a little over a year and just hit 8K on it since buying it.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
My alignment is the opposite I am wearing my insides even thought I'm within spec.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jaimr...is ur truck stock or r u lifted? Do u know what positive and never sets the wheel like? Is positive camber when ur riding on the outside edgse? Unfortuantely i forgot the spec sheet...i was too annoyed with the tech.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Jaimr...is ur truck stock or r u lifted? Do u know what positive and never sets the wheel like? Is positive camber when ur riding on the outside edgse? Unfortuantely i forgot the spec sheet...i was too annoyed with the tech.
I have an 08 Pro4x stock height. I have installed camber bolts. Positive camber sets the top of the tire out. If you looked at the truck from the front, the tires would be in the shape of a V. The reason you can't just look and see if your tires are out is because 1. your truck changes height which in turn changes camber 2. You are only talking fraction of degrees. You wouldn't be able to see .1 difference with the eye. If your tire was 3 degrees off you would be able to see it but then it wouldn't be in spec. Does your truck track well or is it all over the place??

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok then i definitely have too much positive camber. so i guess if i have the shop go a lil more negative within "spec" then i could get squared away??? maybe?? my truck tracks pretty staright and my steering wheel is set pretty straight too.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I have an 08 Pro4x stock height. I have installed camber bolts. Positive camber sets the top of the tire out. If you looked at the truck from the front, the tires would be in the shape of a V. The reason you can't just look and see if your tires are out is because 1. your truck changes height which in turn changes camber 2. You are only talking fraction of degrees. You wouldn't be able to see .1 difference with the eye. If your tire was 3 degrees off you would be able to see it but then it wouldn't be in spec. Does your truck track well or is it all over the place??
This is somewhat right....If your camber is actually out to the positive side your truck would only pull and go all over IF one side is different from the other. Like say you are at 0 degrees on the left and +.5 degrees on the right it would pull to the right. It also depends a lot on your caster because negative caster of any kind will also pull. Your truck does change camber when it articulates over bumps but it doesn't matter in that aspect when aligning it, because it is sitting still so aligned is aligned. If the outside edge of a tire is wearing then you for sure have a positive camber issue. If the tires are cupping then you have a inflation issue, if they are chopping then you have a toe issue.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts