Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at purchasing a cai. I want something that is not too loud, but still gives decent performance. I have read that the Banks and Injen are both relatively quite. To me the Banks looks kinda cheap and restrictive, with the corrugated section. I wonder about the Injen since it looks like it would draw hot air from the engine compartment through the perforated box. It seems like it would defeat the purpose of a cai.

Are there some other ones I should be considering? How is the S&B for noise? Any insight would be appreicated.

By the way, I plan on adding an exhaust and uprev eventually, if that changes the recommendation. I am looking at the JBA LT headers and Cajun catted bpipes. Haven't decided on the rest of the exhaust, just starting with the cai.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have an S&B and really pleased with it. Besides it sucking up more air its not very noisy. I went with s&b over the other brands because I read its better for the flex fuel.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
first I heard about one being better than the other for Flex fuel...

regardless of brand, the UPrev tuning dials in the performance. I really don`t hear the AiRaid MXP since the header/B`s/AFE exhaust is pretty loud. or pay much attention to it anymore...

the consensus for the Titan though seems to be the AiRaid CAI

·
Registered
741 Posts
I've also heard of S&B being better for FFV. That being said, I've never seen any research or hard numbers to back it up.

Studies have shown Airaid is hands down best for the ego though. You know what they say about guys with large cold air intake tubes...it's SCIENCE!

But in all seriousness, I wouldn't trade my Airaid for any other brand. Before my exhaust noise began to drown it out as I made mods, I loved the intake howl. That thing moves a *lot* of air.

Pale Rider made some good points though, in that when you're finished with your setup the intake noise will be the least of your concerns, and that UpRev will be the meat and potatoes of the setup anyway.

TL;DR: I vote Airaid. :thumbsup:

Reactions: GalaxyPro4X11

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
This will be third Titan running the Bank's CAI. The fit and finish are that of OEM. I ran this with both a CB system along with UPRev having great results. I wanted a closed box system, because I did not want to hear unnecessary added noise. My exhaust is enough noise for me. Lol. Open systems will be noisy. Good luck in your decision.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I highly reccomend the air raid mxp as its been proven to be best on the market, send me a message and I can give u a killer deal on it

·
Premium Member
2,310 Posts
I also vote Airraid, my first titan started off with the nismo cold air an it was a lot louder then my Airraid for sure.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does the Airraid seal to the underside of the hood? What keeps it from drawing in hot engine compartment air? I have heard that the air raid is the loudest intake for the titan. What kind of in cab noise is it?

·
Premium Member
2,310 Posts
Definitely not by any means the loudest. I fount the 3 inch intakes to be louder for some reason.
It's throaty but not over baring

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Does the Airraid seal to the underside of the hood? What keeps it from drawing in hot engine compartment air?
I've been wondering about this too. Is the stock intake a CAI as well, just more restrictive?

·
Premium Member
2,310 Posts
I've been wondering about this too. Is the stock intake a CAI as well, just more restrictive?

Does the Airraid seal to the underside of the hood? What keeps it from drawing in hot engine compartment air? I have heard that the air raid is the loudest intake for the titan. What kind of in cab noise is it?

It's not an airtight seal if that's what your asking

Reactions: SwedeTitan

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would call the stock intake a CAI since it draws it's air from outside of the engine compartment. That is why doing the mod makes it better.

·
Premium Member
2,310 Posts
I would call the stock intake a CAI since it draws it's air from outside of the engine compartment. That is why doing the mod makes it better.

Still doesn't compare to the Airraid, it draws its air from the fender well, same place as stock

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
yes, any boxed filter that draws air from outside the engine compartment is considered a "cold air intake"

there is nothing wrong with the panel filter or OEM set up. it will most def keep up with the CFM`s drawn in or the air necc for max revs...

the aftermarket kits are more an end user choice to compliment mods, OR that huge growl of air if that is what they are looking for.

Do you "need" an aftermarket CAI, prolly not, but if you are going with other supporting mods and a tune, that where you would gain the most benefits.

a good combination of mods known to compliment each other is what has been proven on the forum and works best for the most gains...:wink:

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
yes, any boxed filter that draws air from outside the engine compartment is considered a "cold air intake"

there is nothing wrong with the panel filter or OEM set up. it will most def keep up with the CFM`s drawn in or the air necc for max revs...

the aftermarket kits are more an end user choice to compliment mods, OR that huge growl of air if that is what they are looking for.

Do you "need" an aftermarket CAI, prolly not, but if you are going with other supporting mods and a tune, that where you would gain the most benefits.

a good combination of mods known to compliment each other is what has been proven on the forum and works best for the most gains...:wink:
Thanks. Maybe it's time for a tune when I got the MXP installed. I'd like some more low end torque. Already got a new 3'' catback.

I got some interesting info in this thread too: http://www.titantalk.com/forums/tit...pm-4-air-intake-installation.html#post6061634

Reactions: JauntyBishop

·
Premium Member
4,915 Posts
I'd recommend going with the Airaid MXP for sure. It's hands down the best air intake setup for the titan. The 4'' setups used to be the best option but required tuning and were custom.

However, Airaid saw the gains people were having with 4'' setups and being they are a multi-million dollar company, they could afford to take over the market with 4'' type air intakes for the Titan.

·
Premium Member
4,915 Posts
Thanks. Maybe it's time for a tune when I got the MXP installed. I'd like some more low end torque. Already got a new 3'' catback.

I got some interesting info in this thread too: http://www.titantalk.com/forums/tit...pm-4-air-intake-installation.html#post6061634
Thats an intersting thread :wink:

As far as more low end torque, the airaid mxp will help with this for sure. Most importantly acquiring Uprev and getting a tune to take advantage of the combination of parts you have and will purchase/install later.

Getting rid of the WOT restriction that plagues all titans has to go, but its there for saftey reasons which is silly because the open diff will make you crap your pants when its wet and you're trying to pull out into traffic...

WOT restriction is a throttle input limitation. Say you mash it to the floor from a standstill and go WOT (wide open throttle), the ECU will inhibit throttle to around 75% to a certain MPH.

On 2wd models it is 40mph and below.

On 4x4 models it is 20mph and below.

Atleast thats what i remember it being, alot could've have happened in 3 months while i was on my vacation.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Thats an intersting thread :wink:

As far as more low end torque, the airaid mxp will help with this for sure. Most importantly acquiring Uprev and getting a tune to take advantage of the combination of parts you have and will purchase/install later.

Getting rid of the WOT restriction that plagues all titans has to go, but its there for saftey reasons which is silly because the open diff will make you crap your pants when its wet and you're trying to pull out into traffic...

WOT restriction is a throttle input limitation. Say you mash it to the floor from a standstill and go WOT (wide open throttle), the ECU will inhibit throttle to around 75% to a certain MPH.

On 2wd models it is 40mph and below.

On 4x4 models it is 20mph and below.

Atleast thats what i remember it being, alot could've have happened in 3 months while i was on my vacation.
Thank you so much for all the info and writeups you have shared. :smile:

I'll probably go back to E85 again. I get better response and power compared to regular gas. I'm tempted to try Uprev as well after reading all the reviews here. Sounds like a must have.

Good to see you back:)

Reactions: JauntyBishop
1 - 20 of 25 Posts