Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i have an AVH-P6800DVD and a metra wiring harness made for the RF HU replacement after connecting all wires properly i have a terrible alternator whine. i have since spent the last 2 hours eliminating any ground loops and trying to find a good ground to stop this wretched sound. i am no dummy to stereo installs but this one has me dumbfounded:bangit:
is there a trick with the RF amp that i am not seeing or a good ground that is reliable. it would be alot easier if metras [email protected] install kit wouldve been metal so it would ground the casing to the same place as the stock unit. Please help.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You see that bar behind the headunit? Try grounding to that, drill it with a self tapping screw. Worked like a charm for me.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You see that bar behind the headunit? Try grounding to that, drill it with a self tapping screw. Worked like a charm for me.
ok ill give that a shot thanks

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
I think the OEM harness ground goes to the metal frame behind the plastic skirt on the lower driver side dash, so if you ground somewhere else and still get whine, you might try disconnecting or moving the harness ground point. I think it is generally a good idea to upgrade the grounds in the truck with something like the Active Tuning ground kit or a DIY equivalent.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the OEM harness ground goes to the metal frame behind the plastic skirt on the lower driver side dash, so if you ground somewhere else and still get whine, you might try disconnecting or moving the harness ground point. I think it is generally a good idea to upgrade the grounds in the truck with something like the Active Tuning ground kit or a DIY equivalent.
by what everyone is saying on this thread i'm gonna do that now and if it doesnt fix the whine then it will at least help everywhere else.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Just curious, did this fix your problem? I have tried grounding just about everywhere I can think of and Even tried different wire harnesses. nothing seems to be working at all ): I have a Jensen UV10 in my titan

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just curious, did this fix your problem? I have tried grounding just about everywhere I can think of and Even tried different wire harnesses. nothing seems to be working at all ): I have a Jensen UV10 in my titan
I have been out of town for work so I haven't even been around my truck but before I left I grounded the cage of the headunit and its better but far from perfect. I'm gonna look into the ground by the drivers side and see about relocating to get rid of that possible ground loop. Ill kelp ya posted

·
Registered
362 Posts
try grounding the RCA's by wrapping some stripped wire around them and grounding that wire, it worked for me

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
try grounding the RCA's by wrapping some stripped wire around them and grounding that wire, it worked for me
do you mean on the 6 inch pigtail from the metra harness, cuz i have not added any other amps yet

1 - 10 of 10 Posts