Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vehicle:2004 Nissan Titan XE or SE. No tow package, 6500 max tow weight.
Travel Trailer: 2012 Coachmen Chaparral 28RBS. Dry Weight 6320 Tongue Weight 920

I'm awful close on the max towing capacity and over on the tongue weight.
I do plan to use a high-quality weight distribution hitch with sway bar but I'm still wondering if I'm in over my head.

The RV salesman, who I believe is sincere, says it should be OK with a good WD hitch. However, I didn't tell him about the 920 tongue with a truck max of 720.

I know the WD hitch takes a bunch of weight off the tongue, but I just don't know if I'm about to make a big mistake here. What do you all think?

·
Super Moderator
34,577 Posts
Vehicle:2004 Nissan Titan XE or SE. No tow package, 6500 max tow weight.
Travel Trailer: 2012 Coachmen Chaparral 28RBS. Dry Weight 6320 Tongue Weight 920

I'm awful close on the max towing capacity and over on the tongue weight.
I do plan to use a high-quality weight distribution hitch with sway bar but I'm still wondering if I'm in over my head.

The RV salesman, who I believe is sincere, says it should be OK with a good WD hitch. However, I didn't tell him about the 920 tongue with a truck max of 720.

I know the WD hitch takes a bunch of weight off the tongue, but I just don't know if I'm about to make a big mistake here. What do you all think?

Do you feel lucky?

Remember you are not only endangering yourself and your possessions but everyone else on the road with you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Check your manual and door jam again. My 2005 2WD XE Crew Cab with no BT has a tow cap of 6500# and a tongue load rating of 650#.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Let's answer the OP's question more directly. YES, you're exceeding the '04 Titan's towing capabilities with the trailer you describe. The biggest issue is tongue weight and WDH will only help to a certain extent. You certainly don't want the bumper hitch to break, bend or twist during any haul!

Keep in mind that a '04 Titan is now 15 years old and may or may not be up to spec. After all, those towing capacities were quoted back when the truck was brand new.

·
Premium Member
67,889 Posts
The RV salesman, who I believe is sincere, says it should be OK with a good WD hitch.
He was sincere that he wanted his cut of the sale to you.

·
Premium Member
67,889 Posts
Dry Weight 6,320 lbs.Payload Capacity 3,080 lbs.Hitch Weight 930 lbs.

You are way over the limits.

·
Premium Member
19,147 Posts
thompjt, before you tow this trailer, crawl under the back of the truck and inspect the leaf spring shackles. They are on the rear of the leaf springs. Early models had a tendency to unroll the shackle, which allowed the leaf spring to come up through the bed.

As others have said, you'll be over the trailer capacity rating with that trailer. Experienced RV people skip over the dry weights and go straight to the GVWR. For a bumper pull, figure a minimum of 10% of the GVWR will be your tongue weight.

Here is a link to the towing capacities for the various Titan models. It's for '07 but it likely also applies to '04: https://www.clubtitan.org/forums/showthread.php?t=30518

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK. Thanks for the help guys. I kinda knew you were gonna advise against it, hell, I was advising myself against it. I'm off to continue the search, a MUCH lighter search :).

·
Premium Member
67,889 Posts
As HRTKD said, check the shackles. It's very common for those to fail on the early trucks and cause havoc. Might be cheap insurance to go ahead and replace the shackles now and save a problem on the side of the road.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Guys, I asked this very question to my RV guys. They said that you should never exceed 80% of the max vehicle tow rate. I do know that I had a 2003 Frontier, 2.4L 5 speed. It's max tow rating was 3600lbs, My trailer empty is 3100. But, loaded is was probably about 3550. Could not control the load, even with the equalizer hitch. Of course, I now have a 17 titan SV, so weight is not a problem.

·
Premium Member
19,147 Posts
80% is a rule of thumb. It's put out there to provide guidance towards a trailer that A) won't kill the truck and B) will be pleasant to tow. I think it's a good rule to follow. However, a short, in-town tow at 100% of capacity would be OK.

I pulled my toy hauler with my Titan between the storage lot and my house. The trailer weighed about 8K when I towed it but the tongue weight was over 1,400 lbs. That was enough to break the leaf spring bracket and bend the (upgraded) shackle. It held together and no other damage was found. Running 500 lbs over the tongue capacity wasn't very smart of me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
rv sales guy will say you can tow anything with anything. its just like all these 1/2 ton towable 5th wheels. its bs. they just want to sell you the camper. i had a 6k tow rating on a nissan pathfinder and the 4400lb trailer i bought was too heavy. towed like crap. now i only towed it from dealer to my house (20 miles) to where my truck was but still. this was with a nice wd hitch.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts