1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Brake Dust may have contributed to the difference in wear. AR has had complaints as being low quality; but then again, everybody has had that complaint from somebody.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
hit it with some light grit steel wool... should clean most of it off

iono if its just me, but looks like you dont clean them wheels lol

·
Registered
869 Posts
Are you sure the wheels are chrome? They really look like polished aluminum to me.

Reactions: TitanBlue

·
Premium Member
76,977 Posts
Before using any abrasives, try a chrome polish liquid. Turtle Wax makes a cheap one that does a very good job of cleaning tarnish and light oxidation on metals. It does not contain any abrasive compound and I even use it on chrome plated plastic. Try something like that first. If that doesn't work, you're only out a couple $$ and your wheels aren't damaged any more than they are. Then you may move to something more invasive.

·
Premium Member
76,977 Posts
Are you sure the wheels are chrome? They really look like polished aluminum to me.
They do, huh? But I think it's tarnished steel. If that was billet aluminum I think he'd be complaining about "expensive wheels" being messed up. :dunno:

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
That is not a Steel Wheel. Wrong contours, much too thick for steel. I am pretty sure it is a Cast Aluminum (not Billet, which is a Forged Aluminum) with a Polished or Chrome Finish, same as my old MB Razor Rims. I got my old rims for just $103 on sale at tiresdirect. Model and Price paid would help identify wheel material and identify correct action and value of pursuing.

UPDATE: Summit Racing list Aluminum (does not state Forged) with Chrome, Painted or Teflon finish choices. Price about $210 each. Forged is generally much higher. So, as his Sig states, it is a Chrome finish, and is Aluminum.

It does not look like Chrome to me, but corrosion/wear may have done that.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ARE-608978582

·
Premium Member
76,977 Posts
Then some polish and elbow grease would do a world of good

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
thats the brake dust causing the pitting on your aluminum wheels
aluminum corrodes his way, pitting

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Now you have a reason to get them color-matched powder coated...

·
Registered
869 Posts
They do, huh? But I think it's tarnished steel. If that was billet aluminum I think he'd be complaining about "expensive wheels" being messed up. :dunno:
Chrome flakes, aluminum "bubbles" and goes to powder, just like it looks in the facebook pic the OP posted.

My bet is cleared polished aluminum.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I think the problem is the lack of maintenance!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I think it's a combination of road salt and brake dust, winter was real hard on my wheels, in summer I can clean them every 2 weeks or so but with hoses drained and in for winter and it snowing every few days I have trouble getting to the car wash. I got the black stuff off but the chrome is no doubt bubbling off. I spent over an hour on each wheel and tried everything from truck wheel cleaners, oven cleaner, simple green, CLR etc...ended up getting it off with never dull, what I could...rims are shot.http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=8571950&l=9172a0c5e7&id=594616562

1 - 13 of 13 Posts