Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I just got back from taking my boat over California's Cajon summit on I-15 (my home is at sea level and the summit is 4,400 ft) and my SE 4x4 Crew performed perfectly - in fact, better than the Excursion diesel I previously used to tow it with.

I pulled the 8,400 lb load up the steepest parts of the grade at 50 mph in third, and even could pass a couple of semis and motorhomes. A/C was blasting the whole time, and my engine and tranny temp guages didn't budge. Tow Mode held the gears just right, and I could easily maintain 65-70 mph on the flats.

The truck was quiet and stable - no sway or loose steering with the 700 lb tongue load.

My only complaint - the tranny really doesn't like being pulled out of park when on a incline - like a boat ramp - with the boat behind. It takes a good tug to get it out of park, and then a loud whack. I'm not sure what's going on, but I bought the Gold Preferred + service plan for 100K miles - so it's on Nissan if anything goes out!

For those of you out there considering a Titan as a tow vehicle, go for it!

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
DaveS said:
.....My only complaint - the tranny really doesn't like being pulled out of park when on a incline - like a boat ramp - with the boat behind. It takes a good tug to get it out of park, and then a loud whack. I'm not sure what's going on, but I bought the Gold Preferred + service plan for 100K miles - so it's on Nissan if anything goes out!

For those of you out there considering a Titan as a tow vehicle, go for it!
Your tranny components are under a lot of load and that is what is causing the binding. On an inclinel with a load like that, try setting the parking brake before putting the transmission into Park. This way, the brakes take the load off of the transmission. Your tranny will thank you in the long run.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I'm considering a Titan because I do want to start towing my car to the track. It seems every tow story I read is good. Thanks for the post.

Memphis4x4, good tip. It has been over a decade since I owned an automatic and I can see how using the e-brake first on an incline would be very helpful.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Good to hear. I'm hoping to get a Titan soon to tow my 4000 lbs Tacoma and a 2500 lbs trailer to the trails and back.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I continue to be amazed by the towing stories I see on this board. I bought my truck to tow my 2800lb car and I needed a truck but its sure nice to know I can do something like this if i needed to.

·
Registered
9 Posts
CronusTRD said:
Good to hear. I'm hoping to get a Titan soon to tow my 4000 lbs Tacoma and a 2500 lbs trailer to the trails and back.
You coming here to South Lake Tahoe, CA for the TTORA (Toyota Tacoma Off Road Association) takeover!?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RPMs

If I remember correctly - I'm turning about 3,500 rpm. The Titan's got awesome pull at that level, but it sure makes some noise compared to the 1,500 -2,000 range around town without the boat behind! It's good noise!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just purchased a 7K pound 33' Travel Trailer. I took it out for it's first camping trip this weekend. Last year I was pulling a 5K pound 23' Trailer with my '01 Frontier. It handled it OK, but I was never really thrilled with the power. This weekend however was a dream!! The Titan more than handled the load and then some. I was excelrating up hills with ease. Buying the Titan is one of the best decisions I've made.

Attachments

·
Registered
739 Posts
Great!

I look forward to pulling my "little" 23' 5000lb TT! I also pulled it with a 2000 CC Frontier and although it pulled okay - I couldn't break any speed records1 :)

I am looking forward to pulling it with my big bad Titan.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Austin said:
What is your tongue weight?

What is total weight?

In the picture, is the trailer jacked at all?

Any suspension modifications to the truck?

Load dist hitch?
Tongue weight is 800, total is 7700 dry, so probably around 8200 in the picture. The trailer isn't jacked in the picture, it's sitting on the hitch. The truck is completely stock, I've made no modifications at all. Nissan did a great job, I'm very impressed with how it handled the trailer.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Load dist hitch"?

·
Registered
11 Posts
tahoe0327 said:
You coming here to South Lake Tahoe, CA for the TTORA (Toyota Tacoma Off Road Association) takeover!?
I wish. I'm the president of the MD chapter so we will probably go to Paragon instead

·
Registered
185 Posts
CronusTRD said:
I wish. I'm the president of the MD chapter so we will probably go to Paragon instead
Paragon Adventure Park in Hazleton PA? That's where my buddies and I ride our dirt bikes. (although we use a Hemi Ram to tow 4 bikes, 2 in bed, 2 on trailer as I dont have a Titan yet)

·
Registered
11 Posts
JerseyDirt said:
Paragon Adventure Park in Hazleton PA? That's where my buddies and I ride our dirt bikes. (although we use a Hemi Ram to tow 4 bikes, 2 in bed, 2 on trailer as I dont have a Titan yet)
yep, the one and the same.

Have you heard of Rausch Creek Off Road Park? It's about 45 mins south of Paragon.

·
Registered
185 Posts
CronusTRD said:
yep, the one and the same.

Have you heard of Rausch Creek Off Road Park? It's about 45 mins south of Paragon.
No, i never heard of that. I know there is a place called Tower City about 45 minutes south of Hazleton but we never checked it out yet as the 2 hour ride from Jersey to Paragon is all my buddies are willing to put up with.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Your tranny components are under a lot of load and that is what is causing the binding. On an inclinel with a load like that, try setting the parking brake before putting the transmission into Park.
What he said^^^. Before parking anywhere, I always put the T in N while holding the brakes, then put the parking brake on, release the brakes and throw it in P. This heps the tranny out by releasing any load it may have. Even helps on a driveway with a good incline.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Holy thread regen!! This is from 2004 guys... I'm pretty sure more of them aren't around any more.
Hahahahahahahaha

Sent while day dreaming...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts