Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brought my Titan in to the dealer about 4 weeks ago because the rt side exhaust manifold was cracked and leaking. When it warmed up the leak slowed way down but of course was still cracked...but the dealer calls me to inform me the noise I hear is from the Fram Air-Hog drop in air filter...which is on the left side! We argue, but the dealers mechainc says he can't hear a thing.
Well, back in the dealer again yesterday...wow I had a cracked manifold! The rear tube had a crack about 1/4 the way around the tube.

Glendale Nissan did the right thing by:
1. They rented me a veh while checking out & repairing my truck
2. After telling me they would have to order the part and I'd have to bring in the truck AGAIN, I told them the name of a dealer about 20 miles away which I had already called and found they had the manifold & gasket. They agreed to pick up the part from the other dealer instead.

Trucks back and it suprising how long the exhaust has been leaking, because it sounds so different...

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, the replaced it under warranty. The truck has about 41,000 miles on it. It is also under the Emissions group warranty which is 8 yr/80,000 miles.

My paperwork doesn't show cost, but my understanding is the piece is about $800 list...I don't know about the 4wd's but my 2wd has a cat built into the manifold...

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Glad you brought it up Lou. I knew it was an issue, but was just going to handle this one on my own.

Mine just started tapping on the right about 2 weeks ago. I got underneath and it sounds like it's coming from the same spot. Just turned 25,000 miles this week. The Service engine soon light came on, I took it to advance auto for an obd read. It said EVAP/Exhaust leak (LARGE). Then the next day the light went out. It's still out and still rapping.

I'll be on vacation this week, I'll take care of it when I get back.

To be honest, I'm getting sick and tired of taking this POS to the dealer so often lately. I've got better things to do with my time. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Yours doesnt make a cracking noise anymore at all right? I just had mine replaced (2nd one) but i still hear some noise still, but ive basically had a cracked manifold for so long i forgot how a normal one sounds like.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Funny you should mention...It must have been leaking for longer then I knew, you slowly get a little used to sounds because their not "screaming" that somethings wrong...yet. When I got it back it sounded so nice and smooth I'd forgotten how nice the truck can sound, got used to a raggy exhaust sound.
No noise at all from new manifold..

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
gabriel c. said:
so is this something we should all expect to see down the road?
My Pathfinder had a TSB on the bolts breaking off and after two replacements, I got headers for it and better bolts.

I can't help but wonder if the Titan has a similar design flaw.

Can we post a sticky for a poll on manifolds?

·
Registered
251 Posts
I just spent the money and put Zoomers on my truck. I thought I detected an exhaust leak before I put the Zoomers on. Now I know what I am hearing. It is very evident on start up, then goes away after it warms up. Every Nissan I have owned has had a manifold issue of some kind (warped, cracked, broken studs etc). My question is, how much to replace? I have 90k on the ticker now and way off warranty. Would it make sense to replace with Stillen headers instead? Anybody know the cost comparison?

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Would it make sense to replace with Stillen headers instead? Anybody know the cost comparison?
I think the real problem with Stillen headers is smog related...Will you be missing a couple of cats with Stillen headers?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Right side/Pass manifold cracked on my 2005 Titan. 32K miles so it was covered. Dealer said that it is only covered under the 3/36 not the 8/80. Is that true????

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
jaimr said:
Right side/Pass manifold cracked on my 2005 Titan. 32K miles so it was covered. Dealer said that it is only covered under the 3/36 not the 8/80. Is that true????
Wrong... read your warranty booklet.. Your Titan has a manifold and CAT assy and as such must be covered 8/80...

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
There is much confusion amongst dealers as to whether these are Powertrain or Federal coverage.
On some models{not the 5.6 V8},if the cat can be removed from the manifold,the coverage is powertrain only.The Titan has an integrated converter that can not be removed making complete replacement necessary.
Most of the manifold/cats are cracking where the rear #7 or #8 cylinders enter the collector.Picture a set of headers,there is a flange where the ehaust tubes mount to the cyl heads.For some unknown reason this flange has a 1/4 inch cut seperating the rear cylinders on each side.So in essence the front 3 cylinders are mounted to the heads and supported from torque,twisting,and heat expansion by this flange.The rear cylinder on each side are on their own and only being supported from where they bolt to the head..In addition,the rear tube is closest to the heat of the integrated cat and probably carrying most of the weight of this also.
This is usually where they are all cracking.
Because of the integrated Cat Converter,the warranty coverage is covered by the Federal Emissions Warranty 8 yr-80,000 miles

1 - 16 of 16 Posts