Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i was at walmart today getting oil to change mine in the the truck went with the mobile 1 0-30 after reading about it on here, went to ask the guy at the oil change section how much oil the wifes rig took couldn't remember for the life of me, anyways he sees the mobile one in the cart and says "what ya putting that in most manufacturers don't recommend that" :read: i said well i have done a lot of research and this is easier on the motor than anything else when cold makes for easier starts etc, as a matter of fact i was looking at the amsoil 0-30 since a lot of people are running that in there titans. he spouts off again "i only run ams or purple in my dirt bike since the manufacturers will void the warranty on your car if you run ams or purple since they don't have the same additives cause its a racing oil and not for regular cars:bangit:" i asked well don't they have the same certifications on the both with similar API stamps as the mobile one. he continues this on for a few more minutes about how he has gone to the classes and stuff on oil and that he is in constant contact with the Castrol rep that told him this info. , if i would have been thinking i would have said so let me get this straight i can run ams in $1,000,000 1000hp race car and be ok but in my 35k truck its not a good thing to run.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
you change your oil at walmart????? i don't even trust jiffy lube to do mine. i change the oil on all my cars. i sleep better at night knowing i do.

Reactions: redneckpapa1996

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
you change your oil at walmart????? i don't even trust jiffy lube to do mine. i change the oil on all my cars. i sleep better at night knowing i do.
x2 on that i always do my own oil change and brake jobs. LOL and yea why would you go to walmart of all places?

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
ohhhhhhhhhhhhh... i seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.. sorry

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
ooops, yeah me too. the thread title is what had me convinced he was gettin it changed.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
He was just buying oil, not actually getting changed there, and didnt know how much to buy.
Atleast thats what I understood from the post
Wow, a 15 year old ......... never mind. better not write it lol
should be obvious though

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no i don't change my oil at walmart i was there and figured i would get what i needed 7 quarts of mobile one and a filter to change my oil when i got home. i had to ask about my wifes pacifica since she normally takes hers in and gets it done at oil can henry's.

·
Registered
177 Posts
yeah and another reason not to is because i used to work at a tire store and we did oil changes there for 6 buks if you had your own oil, and walmart or tire lube express writes tle in blue on the bottom of you oil pan, and i cannot count the times that we have had to replace drain plugs because the idiots up there at walmart think that its a good idea to tighten them with frikin impact guns!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Your "friend" has things a little messed up...first off there's nothing wrong with Mobile 1, although here in southern Kalifornia I wouldn't run a "0-30" cause it just doesn't get cold enough to need oil that thin in winter, I used to run 5-30 which is so close it's not really worth the typing about it...

As far as the factory voiding a warranty, that might apply to racing oils which your "friend" is correct there isn't the right type and amount of additives for constant street use. Remember race oil is meant to be dumped after several runs, or hundreds of miles....

·
Premium Member
2,005 Posts
I go to express lube for my oil. They know what they're doing. I always go to the same one back home and usually the same guys service the truck every time. Never had a problem.

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Oh man I thought I was in the clear LOL I went to wal:)mart once to get my oil changed. Boy was that a mistake. Not the oil change. I chcked the filter, it was new (or at least they cleaned it to make it look new) and they were only about 1/2 quart off when adding the stuff. Which I've come to notice the half quart makes a big diff. when it comes to "ticks" in the motor.

I had a coupon for a free oil change with any added service $50 or more. So I was going to have them swap out my old warn tires and put the new tires on that I bought that day from a guy on craigslist. Well come to find out they couldn't do the tires because one wheel was missing a TPMS. Dunno what happend to it, that explains why my light is on. So I had to waste more time and go to Big-O tires..at least they did it, and for $40 bucks!

And I still got a free oil change at wally world. The guy was pretty cool about it being they wasted my time.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Your "friend" has things a little messed up...first off there's nothing wrong with Mobile 1, although here in southern Kalifornia I wouldn't run a "0-30" cause it just doesn't get cold enough to need oil that thin in winter, I used to run 5-30 which is so close it's not really worth the typing about it...

As far as the factory voiding a warranty, that might apply to racing oils which your "friend" is correct there isn't the right type and amount of additives for constant street use. Remember race oil is meant to be dumped after several runs, or hundreds of miles....
1. hes not a "friend" at all just some dude at walmart

2. according to the Magnuson-Moss Act: Nearly everyone has heard about someone who has taken a vehicle that has been modified with aftermarket parts to a dealer for warranty service, only to have the dealer refuse to cover the defective items. The dealer usually states that because of the aftermarket parts the warranty is void, without even attempting to determine whether the aftermarket part caused the problem. This is illegal. Magnuson-Moss Act

While the Magnuson-Moss Act does not require manufacturers to provide a written warranty, it provides specific rules when one is provided. Among those provisions, FTC regulations state: (c) No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name; except that the prohibition of this subsection may be waived by the Commission if (1) the warrantor satisfies the Commission that the warranted product will function properly only if the article or service so identified is used in connection with the warranted product, and (2) the Commission finds that such a waiver is in the public interest. (15 U.S.C.2302(C))

Original equipment manufacturers pay or deny warranty claims based on the findings of failure analysis. To affect the vehicle warranty, the lubricant must be directly responsible for the failure. If the oil didn't cause the problem the warranty cannot be voided, regardless of brand or length of time in use.
Warranties and the Magnuson-Moss Act

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
The Walmart guy is an idiot, period.
If anyone has their oil changed anywhere excet in their own driveway or garage is asking for trouble. Yeah I know some have to do it becuase of HOA's and such. I have had way too many close calls on fleet vehicles at oil change places for me to ever use them on my personal vehicle. If you must use one of those places do your best to make sure you are allowed to watched.
I wouldn't let Walmart dispose of my oil much less change it!!!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Once I went into WalMart thru the auto service door, got some oil and filter, and paid for it at the service desk. The supervisor was running the register and asked why don't you just let us change your oil?
I said THERE IS IS NO M**** F***ING WAY I WOULD LET YOU MORONS TOUCH MY TRUCK. OK well, that's the the first thing that occurred to me to say but I bit my tongue.
Instead I said no thanks, only I change my oil. I won't even take it to the dealer.
No one cares as much about my truck as I do.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Once I went into WalMart thru the auto service door, got some oil and filter, and paid for it at the service desk. The supervisor was running the register and asked why don't you just let us change your oil?
I said THERE IS IS NO M**** F***ING WAY I WOULD LET YOU MORONS TOUCH MY TRUCK. OK well, that's the the first thing that occurred to me to say but I bit my tongue.
Instead I said no thanks, only I change my oil. I won't even take it to the dealer.
No one cares as much about my truck as I do.
I agree with you. I wouldn't even trust my Nissan dealer with my Titan after they forgot to put oil back in our Altima 2 years ago. Car had 7,800 miles on it. IDIOTS!! "Ep" was the guy's name who did it. And he still works there.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I let my local mechanic do our cars, best part is I stand next to him B.S.ing (and watching his work) while he gets dirty.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts