Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got some trouble with my A/C.

No matter what vent you have it set on, it will blow out of the bottom ones. Very little out of the top.

First off, any ideas?

Nissan dealership said it was probably the motors that close the vent doors, and proceeds to say, that will run about $800 otd because they need to take out the dash. $600 in labor. $100 per motor.

I called bs on every word. First off, taking out the dash would do nothing in accessing the bottom vents. $600 labor? That's 10 hours of labor... Maybe the tech is mentally handicap. I sure could take out a dash hell of a lot faster than that. $100 for 2 motors? I think there's only 1 and I doubt it's close to $100.

Maybe I'm wrong, who cares.

Any help so I can fix it myself?

·
Registered
190 Posts
What year is it? I think there was a recall for this and it should've been fixed FREE.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Just because the air comes out of the bottom vents it doesn't mean that's where the motors and doors are located. Trucks with the console take longer to remove the the dash and there's a LOT of wiring under there. If in doubt get another shop to give you the book time on the job.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What year is it? I think there was a recall for this and it should've been fixed FREE.
From what I've read it looks like I fall into the recall. But that isn't causing my issue.

Or... I could do the recall. They might ask why, tell them I just wanna be on the safe side. Have the recall done. Within the following few days go back and complain that my A/C isn't coming out of the top vents since they worked on it just 2-3 days ago.

D!ck move, but there's no reason why my A/C should be out at 60k miles and not even 5 years old.

Just because the air comes out of the bottom vents it doesn't mean that's where the motors and doors are located. Trucks with the console take longer to remove the the dash and there's a LOT of wiring under there. If in doubt get another shop to give you the book time on the job.
My point being is, the time he quoted me is insane. I've taken out the dash before. Took me like 30 min. That was my first time too.

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
I mean, all it can be is the module that controls the vent positioning. i have no idea where it is, or what wire are running to it, but it can't be a big problem. It's just finding what module controls the vents, check it (is it getting voltage?) and all the wiring associated with it (maybe it is grounded somewhere)

·
Registered
563 Posts
Could be your ac controls. That's easy to access. And there are 2 motors that actuate the blend doors. And you don't need to take your dash off you just need a little finger action and maybe a stubby bit driver. On my 04 I've got a motor that clicks and sounds like stripped out plastic gears when I switch from vents to floor or defrost or whatever. I think the actual motor is 30 bucks. It's located right behind the radio. But you can still gain access if you take the radio out or take the panel below the steering wheel and maybe remove the bcm for more room. Is yours an LE? Dual climate control?

·
Registered
869 Posts
My point being is, the time he quoted me is insane. I've taken out the dash before. Took me like 30 min. That was my first time too.
Why did you have the dash out last time?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Could be your ac controls. That's easy to access. And there are 2 motors that actuate the blend doors. And you don't need to take your dash off you just need a little finger action and maybe a stubby bit driver. On my 04 I've got a motor that clicks and sounds like stripped out plastic gears when I switch from vents to floor or defrost or whatever. I think the actual motor is 30 bucks. It's located right behind the radio. But you can still gain access if you take the radio out or take the panel below the steering wheel and maybe remove the bcm for more room. Is yours an LE? Dual climate control?
Nope just an XE. So I've got basic, cold/hot, hi/lo.

Why did you have the dash out last time?
Sound system install.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I have had heater cores and mode doors replaced on previous vehicles that needed the entire dash to be removed. Labor is on par with what you quoted. Dealers and most mechanics have a set price on jobs. Book says it will take XX amount of hours to remove/replace @ $80/hr, etc.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Sound system install.
That doesn't require a complete dash removal, so I suspect you've never had the entire dash out. It's not as easy as you might think.

·
Registered
563 Posts
If you have the bench front seat you can remove the dash cover pretty easy. especially if you have powered bit driver or cordless drill to zip all the 10mm bolts off and screws.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That doesn't require a complete dash removal, so I suspect you've never had the entire dash out. It's not as easy as you might think.
I think we're referring to separate things.

The dash you're referring to, stretches from a-pillar to a-pillar, and the windshield. That only comes out in rare cases, (ex: airbags deploy).

The dash I'm referring to is the center piece of the dash that surrounds the head unit and all the other garbage.

I've removed everything except the actual top part. It really isn't hard at all. Some screws, bolts and clips.

There's no reason to remove the top part in this case. The motors and doors are behind and under the head unit. They'e deep in there, but still accessible.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts