Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to need some new tires in another month or so. Saw another guys thread on here about the popular 295/70/18's, would love to have that size, but have a few questions. Do you have to remove the mud guards? Id like to keep them on, I plan on getting the 1.5" PRG leveling kit with the tires. If the 295's were too much, then what about the 285/65's they seem to only be 2" smaller, would they fit without any hassle?

Also have no problem doing the PWM. Truck is a 2009, so sits a little higher than previous years already.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Most often you need to remove the front mudguards before you would need the pinch weld. On mine, I also had to cut the metal behind the mudguards. The 285/65's would be the better choice if you want to keep the mudguards. Another good size is the LT275/70R18 which in the Terra is about 33.3", or the LT325/60R18 which is a wide 33. The BFG A/T KO is available in a 33.7" LT305/65R18. Probably won't have to loose the mud guards with it, but maybe trim them a little.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Just thought of another A/T that would work with your mudguards ... the GoodYear DuraTrac in the LT295/65R18E, it's a 33.1".

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Most often you need to remove the front mudguards before you would need the pinch weld. On mine, I also had to cut the metal behind the mudguards. The 285/65's would be the better choice if you want to keep the mudguards. Another good size is the LT275/70R18 which in the Terra is about 33.3", or the LT325/60R18 which is a wide 33. The BFG A/T KO is available in a 33.7" LT305/65R18. Probably won't have to loose the mud guards with it, but maybe trim them a little.

Hmmm... I didnt even notice the 275/70's, they'll be a good height, and not quite an inch narrower. I also like the wide wide 325's, but are they not too wide for the stock rims and stock height?

I was looking mainly at the nitto's for all the good response to ride and wear. How are the BFG's?

Thanks for the help....

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a 2009 Titan Crew Cab SE 4x4 and I just got new tires (325/60/18) Nitto Terra Grappler All-terrains and they fit with no Mods. I did put the 1.5 inch PRG leveling kit on afterwards and it is great. Look at my pics under my profile to see pictures of the tires and how they look on my truck. The tire shop will probably tell you to go with at least a 18x9 rim but the tires will fit on a 18x8 with no problems as long as you aren't doing extreme rock crawling. Also, depending if you have the big tow package or not will make a difference, I don't have the Big Tow package so I have the 2.94 gears and if you go with anything larger than 34s you will possibly have Torque Converter issues so keep that in mind....you won't have issues with the (325/60/18) or something slightly smaller.

As far as the (295/70/18) Nitto Terra Grappler All-Terrains or Mud-Terrains they will fit with the PWM and either the Mud flaps removed or shaved down on the inside. If you look in the Buy/Sell section there is a gentlemen selling a set of 4 (Stock 18x8 painted black Rims and 295/70/18 Nitto Terra Grappler Mud-Terrains with less than 5,000 miles on them) for $1,000 plus you pick up or pay shipping. He is located in I think South Carolina.

Good luck and I love the 325's on my Truck.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Hmmm... I didnt even notice the 275/70's, they'll be a good height, and not quite an inch narrower. I also like the wide wide 325's, but are they not too wide for the stock rims and stock height?

I was looking mainly at the nitto's for all the good response to ride and wear. How are the BFG's?

Thanks for the help....
Lot of TT members run the 325's on the stock 8's.

My Nitto's will be replaced after about 30K miles. As a comparison, the OEM BFG Rugged trails lasted 23K mile, the BFG A/T KO 33K miles, (and would have gone 45K miles but got really slick in the rain, then Toyo M/T's 37k miles to the wear bars. Terra's are the worst tire I've run on the Titan as far as traction overall, but after getting them siped they are fair in the rain. Even though the BFG got really slick at 33K miles, they had much better traction than the Terra's before they reached that point, (both on road and off road).

I'd probably get the KO's again but not the Terra's, since they were great for awhile, and the Terra's sux'd from the start.

·
Registered
25 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lot of TT members run the 325's on the stock 8's.

My Nitto's will be replaced after about 30K miles. As a comparison, the OEM BFG Rugged trails lasted 23K mile, the BFG A/T KO 33K miles, (and would have gone 45K miles but got really slick in the rain, then Toyo M/T's 37k miles to the wear bars. Terra's are the worst tire I've run on the Titan as far as traction overall, but after getting them siped they are fair in the rain. Even though the BFG got really slick at 33K miles, they had much better traction than the Terra's before they reached that point, (both on road and off road).

I'd probably get the KO's again but not the Terra's, since they were great for awhile, and the Terra's sux'd from the start.
oh wow, just checked out the KO's, love the look. But theyre a bit pricey. What about the nitto trail grapplers? look like they may roar a bit any knowledge of those?

thanks for all your help so far...

·
Registered
519 Posts
oh wow, just checked out the KO's, love the look. But theyre a bit pricey. What about the nitto trail grapplers? look like they may roar a bit any knowledge of those?

I have bfg's in 275/70-18. Got them for 170 a tire with the warranties for them from bfg. Tirecrawler.com....I'll never shop anywhere else now. Got my tires in three days and every other site and store was backordered.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts

The Trails are very similar to the Toyo M/T, (both companies are owned by the same parent company along with Maxxis). I would try the Trails if gas was cheap. Most said the Toyos were quite, but mine were a little noisy, and were worse in their old age.

I loved my Toyo's, but their weight cost me an extra 1 mpg compared to my KO A/T's, (2 mpg compared to stock). The Trails are usually a couple of pounds less than the Toyo M/T's , but the Trails in the LT295/70R18 are around 75 lbs. a piece, so will have an affect on your mileage. [On my Titan with the 3.36 gears, 15 lbs per tire increase, is 1 mpg loss].

The LT295/70R18 Trails are also closer to being a 35 at 34.6" compared to the 34.3" Terra's, so more likely to cause your torque converter to not lock into overdrive at the proper time, and causing some addition fuel loss due to running longer at a higher rpm. Plus additional trimming. If I was to buy a set of Trail's for a leveled Titan, it would be the LT275/70R18 at 33.6" or the LT295/70R17 for the OR rims, which are 33.5". No Torque converter issues on my Titan when I ran the 33.5" Toyo's with the 3.36 gears, and their 73 pound weight being their only real negative.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts