Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I-40 just outside Memphis.

Rolled 4 times, ended up facing back to the direction I was coming from down in a 20' ravine.

9 week old daughter in car seat in back. She ended up with a small fracture to her skull, but she'll recover fine. GRACO SNUGRIDE BEST CARSEAT EVER. She was still in the seat, still attached to the base and still tethered to LATCH system.

Me - no seat belt (I know, I know) - badly bruised sternum but that's all. I walked away from the crash carrying my baby girl in her carseat.

Dog in back seat - lacerations to her muzzle but no stitches needed.

Travel trailer and Titan - totalled.

pictures - http://baby.babykiphut.com/main.php/v/accident/

I GOT LUCKY - WEAR YOUR SEATBELTS GUYS AND GALS.

This was within 15 miles of my house, accidents can happen anywhere.

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
Yowie!
Travel trailers make a mess when they splatter.
Glad you are okay.
How did you manage to eat guano? IE: what caused this wreck?

·
Registered
599 Posts
damn that was bad i glad to hear that yall are ok how did it happen on a lighter note are u gettin rid of the intake

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Vacuum from an 18 wheeler + strong crosswind gusts...

Tried all I could to straighten it out, but when I was looking in the mirrors seeing 5 - 8 feet of sway to each side, I knew it was game over. Made sure I wasn't near any traffic and tried crash as little as possible - that part didn't work out so good...
walleeme said:
Yowie!
How did you manage to eat guano? IE: what caused this wreck?

·
Registered
599 Posts
wat is this picture of

Attachments

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm gonna go get it from the scrap yard on Monday and put it on the replacement Titan.
Multiple rollover and I walked away - these trucks are tough.
white_titan05 said:
on a lighter note are u gettin rid of the intake

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
a dog tie out that one of the firefighters had tied to the guardrail to try and hold my dog.

the guy taking the pictures wasn't sure if it flew around the rail during the crash so he took the picture of it.

white_titan05 said:
wat is this picture of

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the kind words.
glennp_1999 said:
WOW! What a mess glad you and the daughter are alright.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
Glad to hear you and the family are alright. You didnt have a sway bar on did you?? Or did you? I wont tow over 2000 without one.

·
Registered
9,568 Posts
Glad you and your daughter are ok. That looks rough.

I think I will show some of these pictures to my friend who is the sales manager at Tyler Ford. He is always giving me crap about our Titan claiming the safety isn't the best. He doesn't believe me when I tell him he is wrong.

·
Registered
582 Posts
glad to hear your family is ok

were you driving too fast or was it just a freak accident?

When I towed 7k lbs from LA to AK through the mountains I had some strong winds and 18 wheelers passing me, but never even had the feeling of more than 1-2 feet of sway.

just wondering what to learn from all this?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
i'm glad you're okay. 80% of most accidents happen near the home

·
Registered
561 Posts
WOW! Glad you and the little one are ok!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep, had a weight distribution hitch and sway bar.
trailer weight loaded just around 6000# - well below rating for Titan.

Helinut1970 said:
Glad to hear you and the family are alright. You didnt have a sway bar on did you?? Or did you? I wont tow over 2000 without one.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
wind + truck + random gremlin..
freak accident.

I've towed this trailer probably 25+ times, never had more than a little sway until yesterday.

As far as speed goes, I was doing highway speeds with everyone else.
Honestly can't tell you exactly how fast/slow I was going at the point of no return. I was looking everywhere BUT at the gauges..

Voodoo said:
glad to hear your family is ok

were you driving too fast or was it just a freak accident?

When I towed 7k lbs from LA to AK through the mountains I had some strong winds and 18 wheelers passing me, but never even had the feeling of more than 1-2 feet of sway.

just wondering what to learn from all this?

·
Registered
292 Posts
I'm glad to see you and the family are OK. It doesn't even look like the truck rolled.

Seriously though. You are a freaking firefighter with a wife and kid and didn't have your seatbelt on! (Sorry, had to say it. No one else has busted on you about it yet)

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will take my deserved licks about the seatbelt. Consider that a learning moment for everyone. I don't think anyone will be able to hassle me enough on that.

Most of the rolling was airborne. When the trailer decided to try and pass me, all hell broke loose and I almost cleared the guardrail in the air.

TexTheTitan said:
I'm glad to see you and the family are OK. It doesn't even look like the truck rolled.

Seriously though. You are a freaking firefighter with a wife and kid and didn't have your seatbelt on! (Sorry, had to say it. No one else has busted on you about it yet)

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
Wow....glad you and your family are ok! I guess I'm not understanding how this happened. I haul an 8500+LB TT and never had such a problem. Were you using proper sway bars? Had you little experience hauling a TT? A simple tap of the manual brake switch on the controller would have snapped that trailer right back into place if sway was a problem due to a passing rig. Did you have a blow-out or something? What happened? Maybe the hitch wasn't properly set up. I'm just wanting to figure out why this hapened so we can all avoid such things.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts