Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Paid a visit to Intec Racing up here in Kent, WA for a Nissan/Infiniti Dyno Day (http://www.titantalk.com/forums/pacific-northwest-forum/86438-dyno-osiris-day-bbq-intec-racing.html) and got a killer deal on Uprev's Osiris with some quality time on the dyno. Intec Racing is the only provider (as in, a place where you can go to buy rather than order direct from Uprev over phone/net) of Uprev products in Washington state and if you're a PNW Titan owner and are serious about getting Osiris, then I highly recommend you pay Intec a visit. I worked with Lawrence Ojas, the managing member and co-owner of Intec and he is a very experienced tuner, my Titan was his 9th and he's also tuned 2 Armadas. I sat with him in my Titan for about an hour and a half on the dyno and watched and listened as he worked on the fuel and timing maps, making it richer where it needs it, leaning it out where it doesn't and I tell you, it was like watching an artist work. Some of the things I learned was that bolt-on mods like a CAI and exhaust tend to lean out the fuel delivery. The mass-air flow sensor measures air velocity and when you increase the size to the intake pipes or exhaust pipes, the sensors read a slower airspeed despite the engine taking a bigger gulp of air. The ECU then leans out the fuel delivery, thinking that there is less air coming in. Anyways, definitely a learning experience!

The final dyno run that is pictured below unfortunately does not reflect the final tune that was flashed to the ECU since we were running overtime and the line behind me to make dyno pulls was starting to back up.

The run in blue is the performance run with the stock maps in red. Take note that the "stock" run also reflects my CAI/Exhaust. After smoothing out the fuel and timing maps and making what we thought was going to be the last run, he noted that it could be a little richer at the top as there was a slight power loss. What the plot also doesn't show are the power and torque gains below 4000 rpm as we were having trouble keeping it from downshifting below that. When it was all said and done, I got the 3 map treatment (the drawback of buying an 04:() of a stock map, 92 tune and an economy tune. After driving around and doing some WOT runs from a dead stop, the tune really opens up the Titan below 40, I didn't realize how much the factory map chokes the motor below 40. So far, I am quite happy with the results and I'll have to head back there when they have another dyno day to get final numbers. Anyhow, here's some more pics and a couple vids from my time there, sorry about the cellphone camera quality, still kicking myself for forgetting my camera!:bangit:

TwoDynoRuns.flv video by titan1080 - Photobucket

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
Those pictures SUCK! But then, we don't expect much from a SLACKER!!!! :lol:

Nice job on the tuneup! Let us know how it changes as you drive it. As the truck "learns" the new tune, things change.... Have fun!

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
There is an UpRev ProTuner shop in PA I just learned. Might want to go visit them one of these days. Nice to Dyno tune. Congrats! :)

·
Super Moderator
93,894 Posts
It's been four days, what are your thoughts so far?

·
Premium Member
3,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's been four days, what are your thoughts so far?
Still nothing but ear-to-ear grins but there's definitely a learning curve involved. I'm still figuring out when I can punch it and how much I can punch it without either causing a VERY rough downshift, spinning out a tire or both. I can understand why Nissan is choking the engine under 40 mph, the Endurance V8 is a monster. When I'm mostly behaving myself, the tranny is shifting a little bit sooner and holding a taller gear at slightly lower rpms than before, thanks to the bump in low-end torque. Passing others happens much quicker now when I give it just enough throttle for one downshift and not 2 (sometimes 3!!:eek:) Single up and downshifts are still as smooth as before, it's when you start giving the engine more of what it wants when the shifts get rough. Apparently, this is a common side effect for everyone with the throttle body unlocked (Uprev, Bully Dog, etc..) Anyhow, it could be a while before I try out the economy tune, I would like to see how economical 92 tune can be (if I can lighten my foot somehow....) :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
Still nothing but ear-to-ear grins but there's definitely a learning curve involved. I'm still figuring out when I can punch it and how much I can punch it without either causing a VERY rough downshift, spinning out a tire or both. I can understand why Nissan is choking the engine under 40 mph, the Endurance V8 is a monster. When I'm mostly behaving myself, the tranny is shifting a little bit sooner and holding a taller gear at slightly lower rpms than before, thanks to the bump in low-end torque. Passing others happens much quicker now when I give it just enough throttle for one downshift and not 2 (sometimes 3!!:eek:) Single up and downshifts are still as smooth as before, it's when you start giving the engine more of what it wants when the shifts get rough. Apparently, this is a common side effect for everyone with the throttle body unlocked (Uprev, Bully Dog, etc..) Anyhow, it could be a while before I try out the economy tune, I would like to see how economical 92 tune can be (if I can lighten my foot somehow....) :thumbsup:
:lol: Good luck with that! Performance mods don't help with fuel economy... It's just the nature of the beast!

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Glad to see you're happy with the tunes!

·
Banned
6,454 Posts
Congrats on the upgrade.....best thing since sliced bread!!!

Maybe this is why?

The final dyno run that is pictured below unfortunately does not reflect the final tune that was flashed to the ECU since we were running overtime and the line behind me to make dyno pulls was starting to back up.

you're putting down a ton of torque!!! 340-357ft-lbs that's quite a bit. The part that's surprising is that you're only putting down 270-275 hp??

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have the 04 Titan w the Endurance engine. Specs claim it has (stock from factory) 307hp and 397 ft/lbs trq.
Your numbers seem to be on the low end of the company' claim. Should I rethink my assumptions about my truck's hp and trq? I did the airbox mod, borla muffler, 2 degree timing advance.

·
Premium Member
3,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have the 04 Titan w the Endurance engine. Specs claim it has (stock from factory) 307hp and 397 ft/lbs trq.
Your numbers seem to be on the low end of the company' claim. Should I rethink my assumptions about my truck's hp and trq? I did the airbox mod, borla muffler, 2 degree timing advance.
Not quite, the 2004 Endurance in the Titans is factory rated at 305 hp and 379 ft*lbs, and yes, that is at the crankshaft and not the wheels like firelife said. Manufacturers NEVER state horsepower at the wheels since they cannot guarantee those numbers for each vehicle (not all Titans are created equal, some have different tire sizes and or final drive gear ratios, both of which affect dyno numbers, also, drive train losses due to friction will vary from vehicle to vehicle, even if they are configured exactly the same.) What many people (me included) don't do is to do some dyno pulls BEFORE putting on any performance-enhancing mods. That gives you a baseline to which you can compare to as you add each mod. That way you'll know exactly how much you gain with each additional mod while also telling you how much YOUR particular truck is losing between the crank and the wheels due to friction (which can be anywhere between a 15-25% loss). At any rate, don't assume anything about your power numbers, take your Titan to a local tuning garage, do a few dyno pulls, and know exactly what your power and torque outputs are.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
i have a question. when you upload the basic tune that uprev provides. do you need to take your truck to a dyno after and then send all the numbers to uprev so they can custom tune it? or can i just run the truck on an empty street to record see how my truck is runnign?or how does it work?

·
Premium Member
3,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i have a question. when you upload the basic tune that uprev provides. do you need to take your truck to a dyno after and then send all the numbers to uprev so they can custom tune it? or can i just run the truck on an empty street to record see how my truck is runnign?or how does it work?
You don't need to put your truck on a dyno, but that will definitely maximize your gains if you go to a tuner that sells Osiris. As part of Osiris Standard, you get 3 additional eTunes. After you flash the basic tune, you drive around and collect datalogs using Cipher (included with Osiris). Then you send those logs to Uprev and they will recalibrate your tune and email it back for you to re-flash. If you add more mods, you can use the remaining eTunes to have Uprev update your ECU.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts