Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gang....just want to share my recent install experience. i'm a "new" member been lurking off and on forever. So my 04 succumbed to the dreaded Manifold cracking so i went with the obvious best choice and got the awesome JBA LT, Cajun B pipe, Uprev set up from Cajun Bpipes (thanks Guys!). Jeff recommended the tried and tested Vibrant resonator. Honestly i forgot to include it in my order....I figured i can always add it. based on a previous install of a Synapse Engineering antidrone pipe i installed on my Turboed SE-R and how well it worked there i figured id give it a go on the Titan. I went cheaper and bought 2 2" Ubends from JEGS and made my own 18" long Antidrrone tubes. I have the Banks catback. after some test fitting and placement checking i removed the catback Y pipe and went to drilling and welding. as those of you that have this setup know, the Titan turns into an angry beast on steroids especially when you start it up:). I drove it a bunch to collect logs for Joe to do the tuning and was less than pleased with this new found level of exhaust sound.
After i installed the setup of the AD pipes i described above i reluctantly went for a 60 mile RT to the airport to drop off my daughter. She was like wow dad the truck sounds great! (she was my test and tune riding buddy:)). Overall impressions are there is no cab drone at 65-80 MPH and the full throttle runs that used to vibrate the dash to the point i thought the plastic would shatter is gone! Im going to include a couple pics but i want to preface that with I DO NOT weld for a living:). The goal with this post is NOT to take away from any of the hard work and testing lots of you guys have done to get rid of Drone but to perhaps help with some viable options. Questions and comments encouraged....Be nice!

Terry

Attachments

·
Registered
882 Posts
Very cool, I've seen this before on v6 imports. Usually it's right at the muffler though. Glad it worked out for you. You should post up some vids to YouTube and link them here. I'm curious as to the sound.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very cool, I've seen this before on v6 imports. Usually it's right at the muffler though. Glad it worked out for you. You should post up some vids to YouTube and link them here. I'm curious as to the sound.
Ill have to try to get some clips for you guys.
as for placement....ive seen what your talking about and honestly not sure why people put them so far back....your trying to cancel the sound coming from the engine:). On my Sentra i put it basically at the end of the downpipe which is just in front of the Cat. I love that car but driving anywhere was rather annoying. Now i don't have any noise issues in the cab to complain about.
I had my GF drive the truck last night and she thinks the cab is quieter than before i put the headers and such on.

Terry

Reactions: GalaxyPro4X11

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Terry,

These pipes looks great, so I wanted to ask about the location on which you have placed the pipes, is there a specific location? or it can be placed any where?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Terry,

These pipes looks great, so I wanted to ask about the location on which you have placed the pipes, is there a specific location? or it can be placed any where?
Thanks! Well based on what the guys at Synapse Engineering say, the closer to the engine the better. Obviously space constraints dictate where you can actually put them. I picked the Y-pipe as its 3" diameter (banks Y-pipe) and provided lotsa clearance as you can see in at least one of the pics. Honestly the biggest pain was cutting the contour of the tube to mate to the Y-pipe. Synapse sells them pre-made if you don't want to mess with making your own. Im not associated with those guys but you can google them. I just used my best guess on the length and went with a 18" pair. The length is choosen based on where in the RPM range your drone is. The Titan is in the 2k range. The other factor is the diameter of your Y-pipe. 3" they recommend no smaller than a 2" dia anti drone tube. i hope this helps.

Terry

Reactions: GalaxyPro4X11

·
Vendor
7,921 Posts
That's what we call a 1/4 branch wave resonator I believe. Josh19k had one on his Titan a few years back and yes it worked but his was on the tailpipe. He did a lot of experimenting with the length and finally found what length canceled the drone out. On his second system he added the Ultraquiet instead which he said did a better job and was a lot easier. Not knocking you set up at all looks great and a good job forsure.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's what we call a 1/4 branch wave resonator I believe. Josh19k had one on his Titan a few years back and yes it worked but his was on the tailpipe. He did a lot of experimenting with the length and finally found what length canceled the drone out. On his second system he added the Ultraquiet instead which he said did a better job and was a lot easier. Not knocking you set up at all looks great and a good job forsure.
No worries....i may still end up adding the resonator to tone things down overall. I was going to use the banks monster muffler as i have one....but its just a bit to large to fit above the axle and the spare tire is kinda in the way. Thanks for the great package you guys offer and all the support! I am excited again to drive my truck :). i think what will tell me if i need/want to add the Ultraquiet will be the next time i drag my camper up the hill to flagstaff.

Terry

Reactions: nightowl

·
Registered
14,137 Posts
be prepared for the banks muffler to blow out the packing. just a warning. I've been through three of them.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,310 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
be prepared for the banks muffler to blow out the packing. just a warning. I've been through three of them.
i don't have to worry about it blowing out....its sitting in my garage:). i replaced it years ago with a magnaflow 5"x11" unit....much quieter than that banks one.

Terry

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Funny, as I was just reading about this a few days ago on LS1 Tech. Pretty good thread (although it is a few years old) and later on down the page is shows the formula for the pipe length. When done correctly, they work wonders.

The cure for drone-- 1/4 resonance pipes aka J-pipes aka Helmholtz tubes - LS1TECH
Yup certainly nothing new....the power of the internet search :). I was very pleased with the results on my turbo'd SE-R....and now very pleased on the Titan.

Terry

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My old s2000 had one on the stock exhaust pre muffler.
I think from all the research and the testing ive done its clear you have to put them pre-muffler and as close to the engine as possible. After all the engine is whats making all those unwanted tones. I hope some of you guys out there give this a try so you can chime in on your results.

Terry

·
Premium Member
2,310 Posts
I think from all the research and the testing ive done its clear you have to put them pre-muffler and as close to the engine as possible. After all the engine is whats making all those unwanted tones. I hope some of you guys out there give this a try so you can chime in on your results.

Terry

I did a lot of reading on this the other night and what the general consensus was close to the motor but not in the collector. So that would be the Bpipes, which is where I would install them.
I plan on this once headers are installed an a gear change

·
Registered
395 Posts
Given the space we have, is there enough room for these on B-Pipes without clearance issues concerning the transmission/transfer case? What about the additional weight of the piping, since the Titan's B-Pipes aren't really supported by anything other than what they bolt to?

·
Premium Member
2,310 Posts
I don't think that little bit of extra weight would do much. If anything I would weld a brace back to the exhaust, there's s hanger right there where the pipes merge

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I did a lot of reading on this the other night and what the general consensus was close to the motor but not in the collector. So that would be the Bpipes, which is where I would install them.
I plan on this once headers are installed an a gear change
i agree closest to the engine the better...i wasnt sure with catted Bpipes if it would create an issue....thats why i went in the Ypipe

Terry

1 - 20 of 20 Posts