Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I bought a 2018 Pro4x back in August and have had it to the dealership 3 times because it reeks of antifreeze when I shut her off and get out of the truck. Can also smell it when windows are open in slow traffic.

Dealership has said repeatedly that there are no leaks and it is "Just how these trucks smell"

I have been wrenching on cars since 1988 and when it smells like coolant it means trouble to me.

Any input from the folks here? Does your truck smell like coolant/antifreeze?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Mine does it to. I went to the dealer and they told me the same thing. I keep an eye on my overflow tank thing and I haven't lost enough to concern me. They explained to me it was a new type of evaporation thing on new cars, my wife's Rouge smells the same also. Go figure

·
Premium Member
20,347 Posts
Early model Titans had a tendency to blow antifreeze out of the radiator cap. I replaced my cap with one from Stant and didn't have a problem after that. Chase down all hoses that run antifreeze through them. It could be a line that isn't one that you would normally look at.

Normally, antifreeze leaves a gray residue when it dries.

·
Premium Member
3,611 Posts
On occasion I’ll get a whiff when walking by the front of the truck, my Frontiers did it as well. I don’t notice any loss of coolant.

Clint

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
I've been wrenching about the same amount of time as you, and also feel I shouldn't smell anti-freeze around the front of my truck.

My dealer told me the same story. Just keep a eye out for leaks, and check the reservoir whenever you raise the hood.

I feel unnerved by the smell too, its annoying.

I haven't gotten around to it but I want to try what HRTKD said. Buy a Stant radiator cap and see it's related to pressure holding ability of the OE cap?

Reactions: Titan332009

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. This makes me feel better and worse at the same time.

·
Premium Member
3,611 Posts
Ok my smart fellow members tell me this, in the old days I knew what every feature of everything I owned was for but now I only look for what I need and other stuff I’ll learn as I need it.
Due to this topic I went out and sniffed around the front of the truck just after a decent drive and smelled nothing but I did notice something. It looks like there are slats that appear to be able to open and close like a blind which would in my mind have something to do with keeping the radiator blocked to achieve temperature. So am I correct or am I way out in left field?
If you guys didn’t make me go look I’d never have noticed this.

Clint

·
Registered
861 Posts
The 2nd gen titans have active grill shutters that close at hwy speeds to help mpgs... My XD does not have them..

And I have an 18 Armada along with a Titan and Titan xd. I have noticed the coolant smell on all three always near the grill area right after a drive.. None show any coolant loss... thinking this is normal....

I would worry if you are losing coolant..

·
Premium Member
3,611 Posts
Thanks for the answer but I’d think at highway speeds you’d not want the front to be like an impenetrable wall.

Clint

·
Registered
35 Posts
I recently bought a '17 with 10K on it. It now has just over 13K on it. I also have the coolant smell.
The reservior was a little low when I got it. I added about 8oz to get the correct level. Although I still have the coolant smell, the level hasn't dropped. I will continue to monitor it and see what happens. I was going to stop by the dealer and see what they say, but after seeing this thread, I'll save my self the trouble.
My wife had a Chevy Trailblazer and It always had the cooland smell. It would make about a quart disappear over the course of a year. I was never able to trace that one down.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thanks for the answer but I’d think at highway speeds you’d not want the front to be like an impenetrable wall.

Clint

Well you’d think wrong. The active shutters close at highway speeds. Proven that smooth air is more efficient than turbulent air when it comes to mileage.

My wifes Murano smelled of coolant hot all the time too...took it in under warranty at least 5 times. Finally I just popped a Stant cap on it: no more smell. My 2017 SV has had the smell too...told the dealer every time its been in, (so it is documented) still smells.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I am not sure, but throwing this out. The Titan has a cap on the radiator that includes a seal, but no spring, or pressure rating marking on it. It has another conventional one on the coolant recovery tank that has a pressure rating marked on it. One day, I removed the cap on the radiator (engine cold) and the coolant reservoir level increased significantly. Right now, I don't remember whether I also had the recovery cap off. This observation told me that the system was under pressure even with the truck having sat overnight. I put it back and then verified that both caps were on properly and drove normally, and the levels equalized to normal, i.e. the level in the coolant recovery tank was normal. Not sure of the purposes of the cap on the radiator if the cap on the recovery tank is the true radiator cap. However, please check your radiator cap to see if it is secured properly and the flat seal under the cap is not damaged. If it is loose or the seal is damaged, it could be letting some vapours out! While typing this up, also searched and found some reference materials.

https://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-problems-dealer-service/58423-why-our-radiator-cap-different.html

https://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-general-discussion/298889-radiator-cap-coolant-woe-3.html

·
Premium Member
3,611 Posts
Well you’d think wrong. The active shutters close at highway speeds. Proven that smooth air is more efficient than turbulent air when it comes to mileage.

My wifes Murano smelled of coolant hot all the time too...took it in under warranty at least 5 times. Finally I just popped a Stant cap on it: no more smell. My 2017 SV has had the smell too...told the dealer every time its been in, (so it is documented) still smells.
Dave, were you speaking to my Mrs? According to her I’m never right, haha.

Clint

·
Registered
35 Posts
The more I think about this....I'm just gonna replace both caps and see what happens. They're about $15 for the pair and maybe it will stop the smell. I'll report my findings.

·
Premium Member
3,611 Posts
The more I think about this....I'm just gonna replace both caps and see what happens. They're about $15 for the pair and maybe it will stop the smell. I'll report my findings.
If you have crust or residue where the caps sit then there is seepage, without it there is zero gain in changing the parts. If there is seepage then let the warranty cover the bad parts.
Of course you’re welcome to do as you wish.

Clint

·
Registered
683 Posts
Mine does the same thing! Smells everytime I shut her off. I use a flashlight all the time to look for leaks, put my nose as close to the radiator cap as possible, and its definitely coming from that. Thought I was losing my mind but as I can see I'm not the only one with this problem.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts