Nissan Titan Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,347 Posts
If the antifreeze gets on the serpentine belts that can be detrimental to the belt. At the very least it can cause it to squeak. When I destroyed my first CSF radiator - and spewed antifreeze all over the place - I made sure to rinse the belt off as quickly as possible. Still good at 99K miles.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Mine has 10K and I noticed the antifreeze smell the other day for the first time. Definitely seems to be coming from the radiator. Doesn't seem to leak, no fluid, no drips on the ground. Maybe it is just venting through the overflow bottle.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have just under 3000 miles on my Platinum Reserve and have recently started to have the antifreeze smell when I walk past the front of it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey all,

I bought a 2018 Pro4x back in August and have had it to the dealership 3 times because it reeks of antifreeze when I shut her off and get out of the truck. Can also smell it when windows are open in slow traffic.

Dealership has said repeatedly that there are no leaks and it is "Just how these trucks smell"

I have been wrenching on cars since 1988 and when it smells like coolant it means trouble to me.

Any input from the folks here? Does your truck smell like coolant/antifreeze?
So I have owned a 2005 2008 and now a 2018 all would give you a whiff of antifreeze after a good drive. But only when I walked by the front of the truck it popped the hood. Never had to replace anything or add antifreeze. With that being said I wouldn’t worry about it. From what I understand it has something to do with system venting or burping.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Just looked and the coolant level is 1/2 inch below the min line and it was 1/2 inch above the min line 6 weeks ago! Wtf?!

·
Registered
7 Posts
2017 P4X, 18K miles, and I notice that smell as well. Coolant is still blue, clean, and at the proper levels.

·
Premium Member
20,347 Posts
The early models had issues with the plastic bottom cap getting a crack in it and leaking fluid.

·
Registered
683 Posts
The early models had issues with the plastic bottom cap getting a crack in it and leaking fluid.
You talking about the drain on bottom of radiator? Last time I checked it was bone dry. It does smell at the radiator cap but no wetness.

·
Premium Member
20,347 Posts
You talking about the drain on bottom of radiator? Last time I checked it was bone dry. It does smell at the radiator cap but no wetness.
No, not the drain. The crack was more toward the middle. I believe there were brackets in the bottom cap that the shroud slipped into

·
Registered
683 Posts
Ok thanks. They've done a pressure test before and said it was perfect (go figure) but the shiit doesnt just vacate the reservoir for kicks. Time to be a thorn...

·
Premium Member
20,347 Posts
Keep an eye on your engine oil level, just in case the coolant is going in the crankcase.

·
Premium Member
3,611 Posts
Keep an eye on your engine oil level, just in case the coolant is going in the crankcase.
If it’s going into the crankcase then oil would look like a milkshake.

Clint

·
Registered
2012 SL, Texas Edition, Big Tow, Blizzard white, Tastefully modded (in my own expert opinion, lol)!
168 Posts
I'm so glad I happened across this thread! I'v been having the smell issue ever since I took my new-to-me 2012 Titan home a few weeks ago. Now I know I'm not crazy. Or, at the least, I'm not crazy alone!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own a 2019 Frontier Midnight Edition with 12300 miles. I bought the truck new. I smelled the burning antifreeze the other day. Today before I washed it I took the radiator cap off to check the fluid level and I could not see any antifreeze. I had a brand new bottle of Nissan blue antifreeze and I filled it back up and I used a little over a 1/4 of the bottle. The reservoir was full to the max line, the reservoir never filled the radiator. I also had a 2017 Frontier SV that I traded in for the the midnight edition and it had the same problem and that is the reason I traded it in thinking that one just happened to have a problem that the dealership could not figure out. They also did a pressure test and kept it over night and said the truck was fine, no problems. They just wasted my time there and got the engine bay in my truck all dirty. These trucks must have an issue that Nissan does not want to be responsible for. I really wonder what the problem is, antifreeze does not just disappear.

·
Registered
182 Posts
FYI I had a coolant smell on mine after the short block replacement, called the dealer and there was a hose that they think was torn and caused a slow leak on the top back of the motor. They replaced that and pressure tested the system, been fine ever since and no coolant smell at all.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts