Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am needing to replace my existing truck and am seriously thinking about a titan. i have not payed much attention to titan and don't know much about there reliability. i know about the ECU relay, but not much else. how are the transmissions? is there any large issues with these things? i live in Manitoba Canada and we have tons of salt on the streets. how are titans for rust? problems with plastic breaking (door handles) in the cold? any help you could offer would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
I think the engine/transmission on this vehicle is the best of any vehicle I've ever owned or driven by far (I've never driven or owned a Lamborghini, though :D ). Shifts are ridiculously smooth and imperceptible, torque curve is right where it should be. Feels like you've got so much power to spare it's ridiculous.

Common issues seem to be: axle seal leaks, pinion seal leaks, some differential problems, brakes on early models if the recall wasn't done, interior plastic scratches easily, fuel gauge isn't calibrated the greatest. Power steering hose leak. A couple of rattles and squeaks. Some people have reported frozen doors in colder weather. Most every issue is easily fixed or solved.

I've owned a lot of trucks and I've had 2 of these and I like them.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Exhaust manifold leaks (both of mine are cracked)

diff failures (though I'm at 204,000 and haven't had one yet.. knock on wood)

interior bits started breaking around 100k or so

door handles are sensative to the freezing weather (I've broken 2)

brake issues (warping rotors giving you a bad case of judders)

However, all that being said, I put my truck through 10x what most people ever would imagine to do and it has only had to be towed a time or two.. not bad in 6 years time. I will likely get another Titan or switch back to an Xterra, good luck to ya!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Exhaust manifold leaks (both of mine are cracked)

diff failures (though I'm at 204,000 and haven't had one yet.. knock on wood)

interior bits started breaking around 100k or so

door handles are sensative to the freezing weather (I've broken 2)

brake issues (warping rotors giving you a bad case of judders)

However, all that being said, I put my truck through 10x what most people ever would imagine to do and it has only had to be towed a time or two.. not bad in 6 years time. I will likely get another Titan or switch back to an Xterra, good luck to ya!
how likely is the diff failure? is this a sure thing like a caravan transmission?

what is the cost of the door handle?

i don't think i know how to drive a truck with out warped rotors. thump thump thump. that is what stopping sounds like.

·
Registered
14,135 Posts
04-07 are pretty hit and miss. some guys have tons of problems, other guys are at 200k miles and going strong. Common problems were rear differential, rear axle seals, the old OLD front diffs, (they dont like 4wd in reverse, ask King_Polaris lol) pinion seals, manifolds cracking, ipdm relay, and some other recall stuff. my steering rack starting going out on my 06 and the tranny started overheating. that could've been the tranny temp gauge though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you buy a titan off the lot, make sure you put some 3M protective layers on the truck. I have 45k on my 08 and there is a ridiculous amount of paint chips on her and I pretty much avoid gravel roads. The front of the truck has a tonn of chips that are starting to rust. Thankfully my gf's dad works at a body shop so that is getting fixed rather soon. The rocker panels under the drivers door are chipped. In front of the rear tires and behind them along with the edge of the bumper that curls around the truck is chipped. Spend the money and protect that ****. Other then that I am more then happy with the truck. The titan isn't starving for power by any means and the ride is comparable with a Chev. Take one for a drive and you will be sold.

·
Registered
286 Posts
COMMON PROBLEMS w a TITAN?
Ya, you'll have a few.

First off your gonna be beating women off with a stick.

2nd, forget any civilized conversations on current topics like Egypt,
The only thing your friends are gonna be talking about is how f'ing cool your truck is. Your crew is gonna ride around in your beast non stop.

3rd, your gonna have to get new clothes, your muscles are going to start busting out of all your shirts because for some reason owning one of these trucks instantly makes your way stronger and cooler.

4th, minimal 2 inches automatically added, forget extends.

5th, Awesome sh*t is going to start happening to you every where you go, people are gonna wanna take pictures standing next to your truck, you'll more than likely hit the lotto a few times(depends on how many time you play), and your gonna start getting laid like crazy so you should go ahead and invest in some Trojans.

These are just a few of the many inconveniences of owning a Nissan Titan

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
how about 04 - 07?
You can pretty much count on needing a new front diff for 04-05 4x4. They upgraded the front diff for 2006 to make the housing stronger and to resist half shaft pull out. You can rebuild the rear axle with a TruTrac to make it pretty solid, just change the axle bearings & seals now and then, pretty easy. Seem to last about 50K if you replace the check valve vent with a hose vent. The 04-07 spring shackles suck, you need to swap w/ 08+ or you may get springs through the bed. The 04-07 brakes suck, but if you get 18" or bigger wheels you can put on 2008 front brakes by using a hub spacer ring for the rotors or get a big brake kit (like Stillen). Or you can get decent aftermarket rotors & pads like Frozen/Hawk LTS which make the 04-07 brakes at least tolerable. As others have mentioned, power steering hoses, transmission cooler hoses, and radiator seem to fail. And you can count on cracked exhaust manifolds also.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Ya, you'll have a few.

The only thing your friends are gonna be talking about is how f'ing cool your truck is. Your crew is gonna ride around in your beast non stop.

3rd, your gonna have to get new clothes, your muscles are going to start busting out of all your shirts because for some reason owning one of these trucks instantly makes your way stronger and cooler.

5th, Awesome sh*t is going to start happening to you every where you go, people are gonna wanna take pictures standing next to your truck, you'll more than likely hit the lotto a few times(depends on how many time you play), and your gonna start getting laid like crazy so you should go ahead and invest in some Trojans.

Now that, my friend, is some funny ****.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
Hahaha, ill have to agree to the following:
Ya, you'll have a few.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Ya, you'll have a few.

:cheers::rockon:doublekis:banasex0r:eek:ral: Ya mean like that? :bump:

·
Registered
1 Posts
What do you guys think about the 2009 and up? Any popular problems that occur? Im looking for a truck with about 83km or 51000 miles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok trying to help my cousin who is low on funds. he ha or s a nissan titan se 2004 v8 triton. got over 100,000 miles. engine wants to die when its idling. reall havnt had a chance to look at it but what are some things to look at. i know this is vague but im just wanting a place to start. ive been advised to look at fuel pump but the truck starts up after it sits for a bit. i have only know fuel pumps to go out and stay out. I thought about O2 or cat could be plugged.

·
Registered
403 Posts
i am needing to replace my existing truck and am seriously thinking about a titan. i have not payed much attention to titan and don't know much about there reliability. i know about the ECU relay, but not much else. how are the transmissions? is there any large issues with these things? i live in Manitoba Canada and we have tons of salt on the streets. how are titans for rust? problems with plastic breaking (door handles) in the cold? any help you could offer would be appreciated.
I bought my ex Ontario 2011 SV two years ago (I live in Vancouver BC), and I have had to replace both rear brake calipers as they were seized. Also,when I changed over the front rotors and pads to Powerstops , the lower slide pin in both front calipers were corroded solid. Took a lot of cursing and heat to get them free. The stock shocks are crap-mine were gone at 49,000KM, replaced them with Bilstein 5100's. Right side cat failed at 60,000KM, replaced under warranty. (extended to 8 years 130,000KM). Right now, I'm at 90,000KM, and she runs great. Tows like a champ, looks and sounds mean! The motor and trannies on these things are bulletproof, it's the other things (diffs, manifolds, etc) that can create problems. There are lots of aftermarket mods that will remedy these issues, however.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Exhaust, rotted at rear axel. Front wheel bearings. Exhaust manifolds. Shocks and struts.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts