Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
Don't waste your money on a pan. If your really concerned about our oil temp buy a trans cooler with a fan on it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback. It looks like we are from the same town.
Several people here recommended the pan and AIMSoil tranny fluid to deal w/ heat.

I have a 2006 SE 4x4 Crew Cab w/ tow package. I believe that already has a tranny cooler on it.
Do you think the fan/cooler combo is a better choice than the pan/AMSoil solution?

My problem is that the tranny really overheats to the point that the computer takes over, no manual 3rd gear switching or anything to cool things off.
This happens towing an 7500 or so trailer up the hills. If you are familiar w/ the area, it is no fun to tow this trailer in the summer time here coming back from Payson.
The needle gets into the danger zone at the top of the two major hills.
The truck behaves normally otherwise.

Mike

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. It looks like we are from the same town.
Several people here recommended the pan and AIMSoil tranny fluid to deal w/ heat.

I have a 2006 SE 4x4 Crew Cab w/ tow package. I believe that already has a tranny cooler on it.
Do you think the fan/cooler combo is a better choice than the pan/AMSoil solution?

My problem is that the tranny really overheats to the point that the computer takes over, no manual 3rd gear switching or anything to cool things off.
This happens towing an 7500 or so trailer up the hills. If you are familiar w/ the area, it is no fun to tow this trailer in the summer time here coming back from Payson.
The needle gets into the danger zone at the top of the two major hills.
The truck behaves normally otherwise.

Mike
Unfortunately, our 4X4 tranny coolers are a weak attempt to a tranny cooler... It's about the size of a brick and really does minimal cooling... Heck, the fluid running through the hoses to and from the OEM cooler probably reduces more heat than the ridiculously small cooler itself... Currently PML is the only available aftermarket increased capacity tranny pan, but I am working with a local fab shop to possibly manufacture an increased capacity "rock" tranny pan for my transmission, and will start a thread if things go well in the next couple weeks...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for taking the time to post. I appreciate it.
I am a little confused after going back and reading some old threads on this topic.

Some people are saying 'there are enough coolers already in the Titan, what you need is more fluid and cooler running fluid'. Others say 'More fluid only means that it will get hot a little later but it will eventually get hot. Go get a tranny cooler'. Do we have any factual evidence as to what works best in a real towing scenario when a tranny used to overheat before one of these mods?

I already bought the extra fluid but I have not purchased the pan. I want to do this once and do it right. Having to do both will really stink.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Regardless of how small our tranny coolers are on our 4X4's, it helps... More fluid definitely helps to disperse internal heat, so you can start with that (I plan too when I get around to my Transgo shift kit install)... Later on, I may upgrade the tranny cooler as well, probably when I redo the front bumper section, since I'll have the front end disassembled anyways... Ultimaty Both would be best, but IMO, either one is beneficial and doesn't really matter which goes first. Again, just my opinion...

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
Yeah I know what your talking about Hahaha. I had a dodge 3500 CTD and the tranny temp would stay at 230* all summer long. The thing about deeper pans is the oil will still get hot it will just take it longer. If I was you I would get a external cooler with a fan on it and bypass the factory setup completely. Its a pretty simple install.

Reactions: DRTYAZN

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
^^^ yeah... thanks for adding another thing to the list... :rofl:
Now... 1) Shift Kit (sitting in garage). 2) 20 qts Royal Purple tranny fluid (soon to be ordered) 3) PML tranny pan (soon to be ordered). 4) Tranny cooler w/fan (need to order as well)... This just pushes my JWT Cam plans back another 6 months... darn it!!!

·
Registered
989 Posts
Unfortunately, our 4X4 tranny coolers are a weak attempt to a tranny cooler... It's about the size of a brick and really does minimal cooling... Heck, the fluid running through the hoses to and from the OEM cooler probably reduces more heat than the ridiculously small cooler itself... Currently PML is the only available aftermarket increased capacity tranny pan, but I am working with a local fab shop to possibly manufacture an increased capacity "rock" tranny pan for my transmission, and will start a thread if things go well in the next couple weeks...
Our tranny cooler is actually pretty large. It is almost half, maybe closer to a thrid, the size of the radiator and is sandwiched between the coolant radiator and the A/C condenser. I think you might be thinking of the PS cooler, which is almost the size of a brick.

As for the tranny pan, I have had the PML pan since last sept. I've noticed that is runs roughly 10 to 20 degrees cooler on the freeway with the TC locked up. I also takes quite a bit longer for the fluid to warm up. The transmission reaches about 165 to 170 degrees by the time I make my commute of 11 miles of stop and go traffic. Towing, it helped my temperatures a little bit. I saw a max of 203 degrees this last time towing up a steep grade, where before I was getting up to 215 degrees.

Recently, I have added a TruCool ATF cooler and bypassed the radiator cooler (there have been a number of Nissan radiator coolers busting open and allowing the coolant and ATF to mix). On the freeway, it runs very very cool. So far, in stop and go traffic temps are about the same. For my 11 mile commute, I get up to 160 degrees max (usually 150-155) by the time I get to work. It seems that as long as I'm moving, it really keeps things cool. I may add a e fan later on for city driving.

Reactions: DRTYAZN
1 - 9 of 9 Posts