Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
'21 P4X
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The low speed shifting of the transmission is by far the worst part of the truck right now. No more problems since they replaced the wheel speed sensor so everything else is pretty good now.

I know the transmission shifting has been talked to death by now but we did hear that the '20 got the TCM flash and it was much better after. Starting from a stop, especially a quick stop like a stop sign, is horrible and should have already been fixed on the '21 since they have a flash for the '20. Basically it feels like the transmission holds on to the higher gears too long and shifts down too late to allow a smooth re-acceleration. That makes sense to me since you get that "bump" after coming to a complete stop when the transmission shifts down several gears after you have stopped moving. On the quick stops it also feels like it is slipping into another gear and you get a sudden jolt of acceleration after it downshifts.

Has anyone had any luck getting this fixed on a '21 either with a TCM flash or something else? Just want to know there is some hope that this will eventually be fixed.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Nothing but rumors at this point bud. A friend of a friend knows a guy that’s a tech with Nissan that says it’ll be released any day now lol.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Nothing but rumors at this point bud. A friend of a friend knows a guy that’s a tech with Nissan that says it’ll be released any day now lol.
At about 6,000 miles mine has seemed to have sorted itself out. It has been shifting great for a about a week.

·
Registered
481 Posts
At about 6,000 miles mine has seemed to have sorted itself out. It has been shifting great for a about a week.
Ive been a big commenter on here when it comes to this 9 speed and how unhappy I am with it. I will admit though at 6600 miles it has gotten a little better though. The shifts have smoothen out a bit and the harsh 2 to 1 downshift seems to be gone. Its still kinda squirrelly in the morning, I still get the hesitation sometimes on acceleration and if I dont come to a complete stop and accelerate it still has trouble picking a gear. Again those are the things the "update" is supposed to fix. But it has gotten better. I dont attribute that to it "learning" my driving habits as some would say. I think thats BS. I attribute it to parts wearing and things loosening up a bit.

·
Registered
'21 P4X
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ive been a big commenter on here when it comes to this 9 speed and how unhappy I am with it. I will admit though at 6600 miles it has gotten a little better though. The shifts have smoothen out a bit and the harsh 2 to 1 downshift seems to be gone. Its still kinda squirrelly in the morning, I still get the hesitation sometimes on acceleration and if I dont come to a complete stop and accelerate it still has trouble picking a gear. Again those are the things the "update" is supposed to fix. But it has gotten better. I dont attribute that to it "learning" my driving habits as some would say. I think thats BS. I attribute it to parts wearing and things loosening up a bit.
It's really the only thing I'm unhappy with at this point. Well that and maybe how the dealer's techs don't seem to know how to troubleshoot a simple wheel speed sensor and were about to rip out the whole electrical system for a $75 part and 45 mins of labor until a tech from corporate came out and looked at it. Took 41 days for that to happen.

I'm really hoping the flash comes out soon. Doesn't make much sense that the '21 doesn't already have it since the '20 transmission should be the same. It was said in another thread that Nissan is probably setting the transmissions this way from the factory to meet MPG standards but they are really only hurting their customers with it.

I've only got 1300 miles on it right now so I'll keep driving it and hope it gets better and waiting for the flash to arrive. Like you said they are the exact same problems that the '20 flash fixes that are happening with the '21s.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
The low speed shifting of the transmission is by far the worst part of the truck right now. No more problems since they replaced the wheel speed sensor so everything else is pretty good now.

I know the transmission shifting has been talked to death by now but we did hear that the '20 got the TCM flash and it was much better after. Starting from a stop, especially a quick stop like a stop sign, is horrible and should have already been fixed on the '21 since they have a flash for the '20. Basically it feels like the transmission holds on to the higher gears too long and shifts down too late to allow a smooth re-acceleration. That makes sense to me since you get that "bump" after coming to a complete stop when the transmission shifts down several gears after you have stopped moving. On the quick stops it also feels like it is slipping into another gear and you get a sudden jolt of acceleration after it downshifts.

Has anyone had any luck getting this fixed on a '21 either with a TCM flash or something else? Just want to know there is some hope that this will eventually be fixed.
It's really the only thing I'm unhappy with at this point. Well that and maybe how the dealer's techs don't seem to know how to troubleshoot a simple wheel speed sensor and were about to rip out the whole electrical system for a $75 part and 45 mins of labor until a tech from corporate came out and looked at it. Took 41 days for that to happen.

I'm really hoping the flash comes out soon. Doesn't make much sense that the '21 doesn't already have it since the '20 transmission should be the same. It was said in another thread that Nissan is probably setting the transmissions this way from the factory to meet MPG standards but they are really only hurting their customers with it.

I've only got 1300 miles on it right now so I'll keep driving it and hope it gets better and waiting for the flash to arrive. Like you said they are the exact same problems that the '20 flash fixes that are happening with the '21s.
All about mpg standards.. Gotta live with or trade it.

Titan has no cylinder deactivation, start stop mode.. Nissan gotta show Uncle Biden they are trying to save fuel somehow….

I don't like the way these trucks shift but sure as hell beats spending thousands more on a Fard or Ram or Chevy that “might” shift better…and present a whole different list of issues we have no clue about…

I was going to buy a Ford or Ram until I trolled their boards for a few days…screw them!!

·
Registered
'21 P4X
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All about mpg standards.. Gotta live with or trade it.

Titan has no cylinder deactivation, start stop mode.. Nissan gotta show Uncle Biden they are trying to save fuel somehow….

I don't like the way these trucks shift but sure as hell beats spending thousands more on a Fard or Ram or Chevy that “might” shift better…and present a whole different list of issues we have no clue about…

I was going to buy a Ford or Ram until I trolled their boards for a few days…screw them!!
Yep. I'm not at the point of trading it. I think Nissan should have done a better job with it and come up with a better way to get their MPG numbers but I'm not trading it at this point. It's still a better value that all the rest of the options out there and like you said they have their problems too.

·
Registered
'21 PR '20 P4X (sld) '06 SE (sld) '16 SS
1,710 Posts

I'd say go look up the thread for the 2020 and see when the bulletin came out, and that's probably when we'll see the 2021 (IIRC, it was after Sept, maybe Oct). I'm guessing that they have a loophole to report a higher MPG from the factory, and then after a year they can reflash the transmission so that it responds better at the cost of MPG. I figure the transmission tweak is there so that they can claim the numbers.

Speaking of which, my SS is a 6.2 liter pushing about 450 HP/TQ and weighing in about 1000 lbs. LESS than the Titan, and it gets 17.4 MPG. I'd say that Nissan did a commendable job with getting 400-ish HP out of a 5.6 liter and still clocking about 1 MPG less than a car that weighs 1000 lbs. less. That being said, I'd much rather have the smooth transmission than the higher MPG.

·
Registered
'21 P4X
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd say go look up the thread for the 2020 and see when the bulletin came out, and that's probably when we'll see the 2021 (IIRC, it was after Sept, maybe Oct). I'm guessing that they have a loophole to report a higher MPG from the factory, and then after a year they can reflash the transmission so that it responds better at the cost of MPG. I figure the transmission tweak is there so that they can claim the numbers.

Speaking of which, my SS is a 6.2 liter pushing about 450 HP/TQ and weighing in about 1000 lbs. LESS than the Titan, and it gets 17.4 MPG. I'd say that Nissan did a commendable job with getting 400-ish HP out of a 5.6 liter and still clocking about 1 MPG less than a car that weighs 1000 lbs. less. That being said, I'd much rather have the smooth transmission than the higher MPG.
I agree. They did do a pretty good job with the MPGs. I would also prefer the smoother shifting if it came at the cost of higher MPG. That being said I wonder if it really would be much of a hit at all considering that the MPG with stop and go is already horrible. The poor shifting at lower speeds is probably doing as much negative to MPG as it is doing positive, at least in real life. Probably a different story on the computer simulations that the EPA looks at.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I agree. They did do a pretty good job with the MPGs. I would also prefer the smoother shifting if it came at the cost of higher MPG. That being said I wonder if it really would be much of a hit at all considering that the MPG with stop and go is already horrible. The poor shifting at lower speeds is probably doing as much negative to MPG as it is doing positive, at least in real life. Probably a different story on the computer simulations that the EPA looks at.
You're probably right as the throttle doesn't initially respond but then comes on and hangs onto the gear too long after you've let off. I think I saw a marginal drop in my P4X. I'd say that the transmission is the last piece that will let me really compare how I like the PR to the P4X. Although, even without the transmission reflash, I give a very slight edge already to the PR. The ride quality isn't as jarring and let's face it, unless you plan on offroading the Titan often, the P4X is a little too stiff for the concrete jungle.

·
Registered
'21 P4X
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You're probably right as the throttle doesn't initially respond but then comes on and hangs onto the gear too long after you've let off. I think I saw a marginal drop in my P4X. I'd say that the transmission is the last piece that will let me really compare how I like the PR to the P4X. Although, even without the transmission reflash, I give a very slight edge already to the PR. The ride quality isn't as jarring and let's face it, unless you plan on offroading the Titan often, the P4X is a little too stiff for the concrete jungle.
Totally agree on the ride. I probably won't ever go offroad in my P4X except maybe when I go hunting and that isn't really offroad. I really like the look and overall setup of the P4X over the PR though and I'm probably not alone. Plus it is several thousand dollars cheaper for the P4X even with all the packages that give it the options that are standard for the PR. If Nissan would have an offroad delete option for the P4X it would be a winner for me. I've actually been looking into what it would take to replace the shocks/struts all around on the P4X to try and give it the ride of the PR but so far haven't decided if it would make enough of a difference to be worth it.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Totally agree on the ride. I probably won't ever go offroad in my P4X except maybe when I go hunting and that isn't really offroad. I really like the look and overall setup of the P4X over the PR though and I'm probably not alone. Plus it is several thousand dollars cheaper for the P4X even with all the packages that give it the options that are standard for the PR. If Nissan would have an offroad delete option for the P4X it would be a winner for me. I've actually been looking into what it would take to replace the shocks/struts all around on the P4X to try and give it the ride of the PR but so far haven't decided if it would make enough of a difference to be worth it.
I bet that would be a great option for the P4X, as the P4X looks kind of Raptor-esque. Of course, a P4X "Appearance package" might not be too popular with guys that want that "look" and all the goodies to back it up. I actually did like the look of the P4X, especially in the pearl blue that I had. I'm thinking if the PR that I bought was also in the same pearl blue, I would probably be ok with the PR appearance (although I love not having to sweat washing the white PR nearly as often) as compared to my P4X.

I figure if a Nissan dealership really wanted to, it could try to emulate the P4X's appearance package, and maybe give it more of a sport-truck look, slap a mild supercharger on it and I'd pay P4X money for a fully optioned SV.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
My buddy has a repair shop and he works on everything. He says all these "new" transmissions have shifting issues. The more gears and higher MPG requirements equals more problems - no matter what manufacturer.

·
Registered
100 Posts
My buddy has a repair shop and he works on everything. He says all these "new" transmissions have shifting issues. The more gears and higher MPG requirements equals more problems - not matter what manufacturer.
I put this review link in here, interestingly, he picks up on the shifting issue. He wasn’t a big fan of our trucks either.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I put this review link in here, interestingly, he picks up on the shifting issue. He wasn’t a big fan of our trucks either.

I think there are more Youtube auto reviewers than Titans sold to date..

At the end of the day u need to drive what u intend on buying and make the decision if the vehicle is right for you..

·
Registered
100 Posts
I think there are more Youtube auto reviewers than Titans sold to date..

At the end of the day u need to drive what u intend on buying and make the decision if the vehicle is right for you..
Agree, ignored most of what he said. I did find it interesting he noticed both the throttle lag and low speed trans shifts just by driving it 80 miles.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Agree, ignored most of what he said. I did find it interesting he noticed both the throttle lag and low speed trans shifts just by driving it 80 miles.
Some people swear up and down by the Pedal Commander. My only problem is that I hate having to spend extra money on getting the vehicle to run the way that it should run from the factory. The transmission bulletin for my P4X really helped. I'm waiting with baited breath on the 2021 getting the same.

·
Registered
2021 PRO4X
75 Posts
My '21 with roughly 6k on it shifts normally 95% of the time now. While it is behaving I prefer the transmission to the new 10 speed in the Raptor.

·
Registered
2021 Titan Pro 4x CC Super Black
14 Posts
At 14,000 on the 21 pro 4x trans is 100% normal. There is zero hesitation and down shifting is as smooth as you would expect. I have blown away about every truck from the dead start at stop lights just trying to find that hesitation but it’s gone. Give it time and you will see if yours smooths out like this one. This is by far the best truck I have owned hands down.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’m at 9k on my 21 p4x and the hesitation has not improved at all. I just purchased a pedal monster to see if that helps at all, but I’m not hopeful. I’ll post an update once it arrives and I get it installed.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts