Nissan Titan Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
'21 PR '20 P4X (sld) '06 SE (sld) '16 SS
1,726 Posts
I’m at 9k on my 21 p4x and the hesitation has not improved at all. I just purchased a pedal monster to see if that helps at all, but I’m not hopeful. I’ll post an update once it arrives and I get it installed.
My guess is that you'll be in here singing its praises. Seems like everyone really likes it as it makes the throttle feel more like a conventional cable by wire throttle. Good luck with it, and looking forward to your experiences with it.

·
Registered
'21 PR '20 P4X (sld) '06 SE (sld) '16 SS
1,726 Posts
I'm thinking maybe more of us need to go into Nissan dealerships and report the transmission issue to get some eyes on this from Nissan. I wonder if they're waiting for enough people to report it as a problem, and figure since we're all just waiting for the update and haven't actually been into the dealership that they haven't pushed out a reflash? I guess I'll take some time this coming week to take it in so that my issues are on record.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm thinking maybe more of us need to go into Nissan dealerships and report the transmission issue to get some eyes on this from Nissan. I wonder if they're waiting for enough people to report it as a problem, and figure since we're all just waiting for the update and haven't actually been into the dealership that they haven't pushed out a reflash? I guess I'll take some time this coming week to take it in so that my issues are on record.
In order to get Nissan’s attention I made a post on an Instagram page where the Instgrammers were reviewing another brands pickup. I tagged Nissan USA in it and explained the issues I’m having (which are far more than just rough shifts) with my truck. Nissan USA reached out to me the same day, created a case # and assigned a customer rep to help resolve the issue. The customer rep called me and left a message, I called them back 3 times and left 3 messages and they never called me back. So… while they didn’t follow through, their social media team is active.

·
Registered
100 Posts
In order to get Nissan’s attention I made a post on an Instagram page where the Instgrammers were reviewing another brands pickup. I tagged Nissan USA in it and explained the issues I’m having (which are far more than just rough shifts) with my truck. Nissan USA reached out to me the same day, created a case # and assigned a customer rep to help resolve the issue. The customer rep called me and left a message, I called them back 3 times and left 3 messages and they never called me back. So… while they didn’t follow through, their social media team is active.
So what are the other issues other than the tranny. Radio, collision flash in cluster? Those seem to be he 3 common issues with the 20 & 21 models

·
Registered
125 Posts
So what are the other issues other than the tranny. Radio, collision flash in cluster? Those seem to be he 3 common issues with the 20 & 21 models
On top of rough shifting, mine makes the popping sound when accelerating away from a standing stop (which I'm now positive is not the transmission), it also has a high pitched wine (sounds like a compressor) whenever I hit the brakes... and as of yesterday morning I've got the condensation inside of one of the taillights.

·
Registered
100 Posts
On top of rough shifting, mine makes the popping sound when accelerating away from a standing stop (which I'm now positive is not the transmission), it also has a high pitched wine (sounds like a compressor) whenever I hit the brakes... and as of yesterday morning I've got the condensation inside of one of the taillights.
Wow, sorry to hear of your issues. I have the big three, radio shuts down and reboots on occasion, I got the emergency frontal brake warning and brakes applied and I have the shifting issue. I will say, the transmission is much better now, but still not perfect. This is the first titan i have had trouble with, except the engine issue in the 2018, I have owned 5 titans and I love this truck I hope they can figure out these issues. If you read on this forum, there are many who have my 3 issues, hopefully Nissan will notice the trend and issue some fixes. Good luck with your truck.

·
Registered
147 Posts
All about mpg standards.. Gotta live with or trade it.

Titan has no cylinder deactivation, start stop mode.. Nissan gotta show Uncle Biden they are trying to save fuel somehow….

I don't like the way these trucks shift but sure as hell beats spending thousands more on a Fard or Ram or Chevy that “might” shift better…and present a whole different list of issues we have no clue about…

I was going to buy a Ford or Ram until I trolled their boards for a few days…screw them!!
This is pretty much where I am at.

The only thing I don't like about my new '21 PRO-4X is the transmission behavior off the line. It's default shifting program is clearly an eco approach, with jerkiness as the result.

The answer for me so far is, each time I drive it, I baby it off the line when cold. I then progressively drive a little more aggressively as it warms up. It gets to a point of normal-ish shifting off the line after a while.

But as this gent says, it could be worse. Coming from a car nut, it's a shame that engineering has come so far, with the potential to produce the most satisfying driver's vehicles ever, only to be hobbled like this.

·
Registered
2021 Titan Pro4x
397 Posts
This is pretty much where I am at.

The only thing I don't like about my new '21 PRO-4X is the transmission behavior off the line. It's default shifting program is clearly an eco approach, with jerkiness as the result.

The answer for me so far is, each time I drive it, I baby it off the line when cold. I then progressively drive a little more aggressively as it warms up. It gets to a point of normal-ish shifting off the line after a while.

But as this gent says, it could be worse. Coming from a car nut, it's a shame that engineering has come so far, with the potential to produce the most satisfying driver's vehicles ever, only to be hobbled like this.
Based on similar experience, the Pedal Commander would be right up your alley. Review others experiences on TT and you will see most people are extremely happy with the results yielded from the product. They can be found used for relatively cheap and if you aren’t satisfied, they resell extremely well! Just my .02 cents from a positive Pedal Commander user on a ‘21 P4X.

·
Registered
'21 P4X
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Based on similar experience, the Pedal Commander would be right up your alley. Review others experiences on TT and you will see most people are extremely happy with the results yielded from the product. They can be found used for relatively cheap and if you aren’t satisfied, they resell extremely well! Just my .02 cents from a positive Pedal Commander user on a ‘21 P4X.
I just caved and bought the Pedal Monster. Went with that one over the Pedal Commander mainly because it sounds safer. I'll post an update once it is installed to let everyone know if it helped compensate for the crappy transmission mapping and how much. It was $300 and I was tired of waiting for Nissan to get off their asses and fix what should have been fixed after last year's fix came out.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I just caved and bought the Pedal Monster. Went with that one over the Pedal Commander mainly because it sounds safer. I'll post an update once it is installed to let everyone know if it helped compensate for the crappy transmission mapping and how much. It was $300 and I was tired of waiting for Nissan to get off their asses and fix what should have been fixed after last year's fix came out.
I will look forward to hearing how that works, and thanks to SeanDavy for the related comment.

My concerns with these products are twofold:

1) They seem designed to address throttle response problems. I don't think this is a throttle response issue (to which I am sensitive, having had another vehicle recently that had a first-generation electronic throttle for its manufacturer). So I am skeptical they would fix the issue I have.

I think that I am complaining about an emission/MPG-focused transmission mapping issue. The problem is the gear(s) that the unit chooses, and when. Off the line, it appears to default to a higher gear than needed to get the RPMs down. If you don't or can't time the throttle inputs to get ahead of it, clunkiness and delay is the result.

I can detect several super-quick gear changes off the line, with differing patterns depending on the situation (but not too quick or refined to avoid a lag in response that is created by shifting behavior, not the throttle response per se).

If the throttle input isn't lightning fast, it tries to start or get to a higher gear than needed, then realizes that isn't what I want, then downshifts again; otherwise the main option is to baby it until warm, when it seems to hold gears better. When cold, for the first time it starts moving for the day, often nothing will avoid the clunky shifting.

2) Are these pedal products likely to be detected by the dealer, even if removed before taking it in for service? I am really hesitant to do anything that might void the warranty. Nissan (and they are not alone) is notorious for finding excuses on warranty work.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Sounds right to me. I’m thinking maybe we should have a 20-21 transmission problems discussion. The comments are spread across many posts here on the forum masking how widespread this issue really is. Maybe then Nissan would recognize the problem and how widespread it is and issue a fix. I can live with it, but it is aggravating as hell and shouldn’t be happening, period.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Sounds right to me. I’m thinking maybe we should have a 20-21 transmission problems discussion. The comments are spread across many posts here on the forum masking how widespread this issue really is. Maybe then Nissan would recognize the problem and how widespread it is and issue a fix. I can live with it, but it is aggravating as hell and shouldn’t be happening, period.
Yeah, please do so. Aggravating is the way to describe it. This one issue is hurting my experience with an otherwise great (and now much more expensive than before) truck. My 2018 PR was a better-driving truck with the transmission it had.

I am also concerned about transmission longevity, given that it is shifting way too many times when the torque transfer is the highest. It needs to ALWAYS start in first gear off the line and stay in that gear for a reasonable period before upshifting, and shift smoother in general, particularly at low speeds and when coming to a stop. It's OK on the road, but life under 20 mph is sketchy overall. I tried putting it in tow mode just to check it out, and the shifting was even rougher.

I was hoping to hold onto this truck for a long time, but may need to let it go much sooner than expected if some kind of fix doesn't surface.

·
Registered
'21 P4X
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
So I've had the Pedal Monster installed for a couple days now. I can say it does make quite a difference. I have it on a pretty low setting (City level 2 of 7) and all the hesitation and lag starting from a stop are gone completely. Prior to installing I had what most of us probably have been dealing with where the transmission seems to start in 2nd gear and there is this lag or hesitation where the throttle almost seems to dip and the transmission feels like it is hunting and slipping into a lower gear and then the truck suddenly takes off. With the Pedal Monster installed and on the setting I'm at now it is a completely different animal. The dip/lag is gone and where the transmission seemed to delay it immediately gets into the right gear and the truck just takes off smoothly and confidently. I did have it on City level 3 but with the rain we got here today it was spinning the wheels too easily so I backed it down.

Overall the Pedal Monster seems well designed and is very easy to adjust with the app on my phone. With the app all you need is to come to a stop and you can quickly make an adjustment at a stop sign if you need it.

Also to answer a couple of the questions asked:

1) They seem designed to address throttle response problems. I don't think this is a throttle response issue (to which I am sensitive, having had another vehicle recently that had a first-generation electronic throttle for its manufacturer). So I am skeptical they would fix the issue I have.
I think it is hard to separate a throttle response problem and an electronic transmission shifting problem these days as they are so closely related and one dictates the other. It feels like to me that the laggy throttle signal was confusing the transmission on what gear to get into and how quickly. Now it shifts almost instantly and you are off to the races (literally if you put it in track mode, talk about twitchy!)

2) Are these pedal products likely to be detected by the dealer, even if removed before taking it in for service? I am really hesitant to do anything that might void the warranty. Nissan (and they are not alone) is notorious for finding excuses on warranty work.
It you were to leave it installed it would be very easy for the dealer to see it if they look under the dash since it is right there in the open. As far as detecting if you remove it prior to taking it in I don't see how they could. If there was anything in the computer it would just look like you have a bit of a lead foot on take off. Also Nissan legally cannot void the warranty even though they may try to convince you they can. At most Nissan would have to prove that something you added caused damage and even then all they could void would be coverage of the damaged item. It's a ploy that many dealers like to try and scare people with to get you to bring all your work through them. Here's a good summary of what the law actually says. Understanding the Magnuson-Moss Act as it Relates to Aftermarket Car Parts - BRADFORD, LTD (apb-law.com)

Hope all this is helpful. So far I feel it was well worth the $300 to make the truck much better than it was. That being said this is something that Nissan could very easily do with a code update and definitely should have already done if they didn't have their heads up the government's *** chasing and extra .0000001 MPG.

·
Registered
2021 Titan Pro4x
397 Posts
Really glad you have positive experience with the purchase. We’ve had a lot of similar experiences on here and with similar products, people that are hesitant need to rest assured!

·
Premium Member
4,642 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear of your issues. I have the big three, radio shuts down and reboots on occasion, I got the emergency frontal brake warning and brakes applied and I have the shifting issue. I will say, the transmission is much better now, but still not perfect. This is the first titan i have had trouble with, except the engine issue in the 2018, I have owned 5 titans and I love this truck I hope they can figure out these issues. If you read on this forum, there are many who have my 3 issues, hopefully Nissan will notice the trend and issue some fixes. Good luck with your truck.
I had a 2018 Titan, I currently have a 2014 Sentra , a 2020 Titan and a 2018 Rogue and all will reboot when they feel like it. I think they are resetting and updating something, they always come back to where they were and function properly after.

Clint

·
Registered
'21 P4X
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I had a 2018 Titan, I currently have a 2014 Sentra , a 2020 Titan and a 2018 Rogue and all will reboot when they feel like it. I think they are resetting and updating something, they always come back to where they were and function properly after.

Clint
There is an update for the radio. I have a '21 and was having the random reboots. They did the update a couple months ago and I haven't had any problems since. I've never seen any reference for the update including on the Nissan TSB site but it definitely exists.

·
Premium Member
4,642 Posts
There is an update for the radio. I have a '21 and was having the random reboots. They did the update a couple months ago and I haven't had any problems since. I've never seen any reference for the update including on the Nissan TSB site but it definitely exists.
The further I can stay from dealer service is the happier I’ll be. It’s really sad that I have ZERO faith in the quality of the employees and some are probably good at what they do but have seen enough to warrant being hesitant.

Clint

·
Registered
'21 P4X
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
The further I can stay from dealer service is the happier I’ll be. It’s really sad that I have ZERO faith in the quality of the employees and some are probably good at what they do but have seen enough to warrant being hesitant.

Clint
I totally understand. I'm the same. My truck went in a month after I bought it mainly because the safety systems were malfunctioning but the radio was on the list. It took 41 days and a call to Nissan to send out a tech to the dealership for what turned out to be a wheel speed sensor that was bad. The tech at the dealership apparently couldn't read the code that said "bad wheel sensor". The list of codes is right on the sheet and it is the first one. 41 days for a $75 part and 45 minute install. It took them 3 days to download the radio update too since apparently it kept timing out.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I wish people would stop throwing around Magnuson Moss and especially stop quoting it. Nobody and yes Im including you BrianD has ever met or knows of anyone that ever used the Magnuson Moss Act as a defense and won.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My '21 is going to the dealer next week for it's first oil change and a couple of other things, including me complaining about the garbage transmission programming. I'm not expecting anything to come of it, but at least I'll be one more person with a documented complaint about it.
Just about 4500 miles on the truck now, and it hasn't gotten any better at all. If anything, it's worse. It's always had the issue where it would hold a gear too long as I coast towards a red light or stop sign, but when it finally released, it was relatively smooth. It's now gotten to the point where sometimes it feels like someone bumped into me. Almost like there's a giant rubber band slowing down the truck, which eventually breaks.
Even worse is the shifting from a dead stop. Leaving my house, I can drive through my neighborhood almost smoothly. When I get out to the main street and make a right, it's always the same: By the time I'm halfway through the turn, the truck is already in third gear. As I'm finishing the turn, and give it even the slightest hint of gas to get up to normal speed (It's only 40 on the road in question), the truck thinks I'm in a drag race and aggressively downshifts at least one gear.
If I had any passengers on a regular basis, I swear they'd think I started driving 35 days ago instead of 35 years.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts