Nissan Titan Forum banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
I wish people would stop throwing around Magnuson Moss and especially stop quoting it. Nobody and yes Im including you BrianD has ever met or knows of anyone that ever used the Magnuson Moss Act as a defense and won.
Agreed. I am familiar with it too. I have zero confidence I could drive into a dealer with electronic throttle modifying equipment on the truck and not have problems, and expect that to bail me out.

Something has got to change. The transmission issue is ruining my experience with a truck I paid a lot of money for, and want to love. It's my fifth Titan.

I am going to start a separate thread on building a registry of owners with the problem. If the dealers fight doing the reflash on the '21s, we need strength in numbers.

·
Registered
'21 PR '20 P4X (sld) '06 SE (sld) '16 SS
1,850 Posts
I wish people would stop throwing around Magnuson Moss and especially stop quoting it. Nobody and yes Im including you BrianD has ever met or knows of anyone that ever used the Magnuson Moss Act as a defense and won.
And how many people have you heard of being denied warranty work because they have used an aftermarket part other than some aggressive tuning device, aggressive suspension, or forced induction? Sure the act isn't some sort of "Perry Mason/Matlock/whatever TV lawyer blows wind up your skirt" obscure law that is cited at some crucial juncture of a court case, but it is there to provide the consumer with some protection against shitty dealerships. They can't just blow off your transmission warranty claims because you bought a K&N filter. Besides, what dingdong (dealership or consumer) is going to spend tens of thousands of dollars (probably more now) for litigation on a part that most likely would be cheaper to just outright fix elsewhere?

I almost had to go that route once when I bought a Saturn that threw an engine code. The dealership insisted that it was related to a cold air kit that I had installed despite them not telling me what the engine code was. Instead of me "hiring a fancy lawyer", General Motors told me that they'd work with the dealership of my choice to trade the vehicle in on something else. So no, I didn't have to hire "my cousin Vinny" to litigate the Magnuson Moss Act for me, but I did get a nice deal on a new 2006 GTO.

·
Registered
'21 P4X
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Just wanted to post a follow up for the Pedal Monster. Been driving with it now for 2 weeks and it makes a huge difference. I would say the horrible hesitation and stutter problems with the throttle and transmission are 95% gone now. It's at the point now that I only occasionally feel a quick downshift before it goes if I barely come to a stop before going. When that happens it feels like the transmission is still in the process of downshifting to 1st when I'm applying throttle. A quick downshift and I'm off and going. Really it is so slight it is almost normal and barely a blip.

I'm not sure what the Pedal Monster is doing but it is definitely more than just increasing the throttle signal. It feels as if it is removing a delay in the signal that was there from the factory. Before installing it I used to feel a delay when accelerating from a stop and especially when I would try to easy back into the throttle after going around a corner. Before I used to go around the corner and accelerate and it would delay then I would feel the acceleration kick in with a jerk forward. Now it is immediate and smooth. The Pedal Monster can increase the throttle signal but to me that isn't its best function, it's the smoothing out of the throttle that has made the difference for me.

I have settled on the lowest settle above stock at level 1 city. I find this gives a slight increase in throttle and most of all it is immediate. Above that it was a bit too easy to break the rear wheels loose especially with wet roads. Maybe this is why Nissan added a delay to the throttle to try and prevent the problems with immediate torque. It seems to me that the factory delay is totally confusing the transmission and with the removal the transmission has a better idea what it is supposed to do. That's my take anyway.

All and all I would highly recommend the Pedal Monster for anyone that is sick of waiting for Nissan to maybe fix this. Is it crap that we have to spend another $300 to fix something on a $60k truck that Nissan should have fixed before it even left the factory? Absolutely! Ultimately it comes down to this, I spent almost $60k on a truck that I would pretty much regret every time I would accelerate from a stop. In the grand scheme another $300 to actually enjoy driving the truck is more than worth it and a drop in the bucket compared to what I'll ultimately have spent on the truck. I would have lost a lot more than $300 on a trade-in. Now I can go on enjoying the truck and not have to wait and hope that Nissan will eventually release a fix.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Just wanted to post a follow up for the Pedal Monster. Been driving with it now for 2 weeks and it makes a huge difference. I would say the horrible hesitation and stutter problems with the throttle and transmission are 95% gone now. It's at the point now that I only occasionally feel a quick downshift before it goes if I barely come to a stop before going. When that happens it feels like the transmission is still in the process of downshifting to 1st when I'm applying throttle. A quick downshift and I'm off and going. Really it is so slight it is almost normal and barely a blip.

I'm not sure what the Pedal Monster is doing but it is definitely more than just increasing the throttle signal. It feels as if it is removing a delay in the signal that was there from the factory. Before installing it I used to feel a delay when accelerating from a stop and especially when I would try to easy back into the throttle after going around a corner. Before I used to go around the corner and accelerate and it would delay then I would feel the acceleration kick in with a jerk forward. Now it is immediate and smooth. The Pedal Monster can increase the throttle signal but to me that isn't its best function, it's the smoothing out of the throttle that has made the difference for me.

I have settled on the lowest settle above stock at level 1 city. I find this gives a slight increase in throttle and most of all it is immediate. Above that it was a bit too easy to break the rear wheels loose especially with wet roads. Maybe this is why Nissan added a delay to the throttle to try and prevent the problems with immediate torque. It seems to me that the factory delay is totally confusing the transmission and with the removal the transmission has a better idea what it is supposed to do. That's my take anyway.

All and all I would highly recommend the Pedal Monster for anyone that is sick of waiting for Nissan to maybe fix this. Is it crap that we have to spend another $300 to fix something on a $60k truck that Nissan should have fixed before it even left the factory? Absolutely! Ultimately it comes down to this, I spent almost $60k on a truck that I would pretty much regret every time I would accelerate from a stop. In the grand scheme another $300 to actually enjoy driving the truck is more than worth it and a drop in the bucket compared to what I'll ultimately have spent on the truck. I would have lost a lot more than $300 on a trade-in. Now I can go on enjoying the truck and not have to wait and hope that Nissan will eventually release a fix.
Yes sir!! Same good results with the Pedal Commander…

It's nice to be able to buy something that provides noticeable improvements!!

Damn u tree huggers!!!! Lol…

·
Registered
2021 Pro-4X
7 Posts
And how many people have you heard of being denied warranty work because they have used an aftermarket part other than some aggressive tuning device, aggressive suspension, or forced induction? Sure the act isn't some sort of "Perry Mason/Matlock/whatever TV lawyer blows wind up your skirt" obscure law that is cited at some crucial juncture of a court case, but it is there to provide the consumer with some protection against shitty dealerships. They can't just blow off your transmission warranty claims because you bought a K&N filter. Besides, what dingdong (dealership or consumer) is going to spend tens of thousands of dollars (probably more now) for litigation on a part that most likely would be cheaper to just outright fix elsewhere?

I almost had to go that route once when I bought a Saturn that threw an engine code. The dealership insisted that it was related to a cold air kit that I had installed despite them not telling me what the engine code was. Instead of me "hiring a fancy lawyer", General Motors told me that they'd work with the dealership of my choice to trade the vehicle in on something else. So no, I didn't have to hire "my cousin Vinny" to litigate the Magnuson Moss Act for me, but I did get a nice deal on a new 2006 GTO.

Add 1 person to the list of people who have been denied warranty work on a vehicle with just an intake and exhaust. I had owned a 2006 Civic Si and at 30k miles it had melted a piston. The piston had literally liquified. (There was little metal marbles left in the oil pan. It didn’t even cause any damage to the cylinder walls or the heads.) I towed it to the nearest dealer and they disassembled the engine and informed me that I had modified the car in a way that voided the factory warranty. After I voiced my complaints to the service manager about how an intake and exhaust would not cause this kind of event and presented him with a copy of the MMWA, he responded with “You should have been nicer to your car”. They returned the car back to me with most of the engine put in cardboard boxes in the trunk. I DID hire an attorney and all he was able to get out of Honda was $1750 which was the cost of putting the engine back together without fixing it. I’m sure if I had tons of money to spend on litigation I could have gotten it fixed completely but spending $10k+ on a lawyer to have Honda cover a $9k repair just didn’t seem worth it. I also had a 60k mile extended warranty on it and those guys said that it would have been covered but the warranty was not valid while it was still under the 36k mile factory warranty.
Point of the story is it DOES happen. Even when it’s just simple bolt-ons.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Add 1 person to the list of people who have been denied warranty work on a vehicle with just an intake and exhaust. I had owned a 2006 Civic Si and at 30k miles it had melted a piston. The piston had literally liquified. (There was little metal marbles left in the oil pan. It didn’t even cause any damage to the cylinder walls or the heads.) I towed it to the nearest dealer and they disassembled the engine and informed me that I had modified the car in a way that voided the factory warranty. After I voiced my complaints to the service manager about how an intake and exhaust would not cause this kind of event and presented him with a copy of the MMWA, he responded with “You should have been nicer to your car”. They returned the car back to me with most of the engine put in cardboard boxes in the trunk. I DID hire an attorney and all he was able to get out of Honda was $1750 which was the cost of putting the engine back together without fixing it. I’m sure if I had tons of money to spend on litigation I could have gotten it fixed completely but spending $10k+ on a lawyer to have Honda cover a $9k repair just didn’t seem worth it. I also had a 60k mile extended warranty on it and those guys said that it would have been covered but the warranty was not valid while it was still under the 36k mile factory warranty.
Point of the story is it DOES happen. Even when it’s just simple bolt-ons.
How far up the chain did you go, or did you threaten litigation right away? I don't threaten litigation until I've spoken to at least a regional rep as a dealership doesn't care as it's specifically Honda's rep and some dealerships couldn't care less. With my Saturn that kept throwing codes, I spoke with someone regionally as they couldn't see what was throwing the CEL. The regional guy that I spoke with finally offered me a 2K voucher on a trade-in. It took me from a 205 HP Saturn, to a 400 HP GTO.

What other visual items could the dealership have noted? As I don't see how they could deny you warranty just based on an intake and exhaust. Did you have a track # in shoe polish on your vehicle? My buddy had his car go into limp mode at the track and decided to call OnStar from the track, which we gave him **** for. Last thing you want to do is let OnStar know that you're abusing your car when calling for a tow. He would run up to 5000 RPM and dump the clutch. Not too bright that one. 🤣

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
I just caved and bought the Pedal Monster. Went with that one over the Pedal Commander mainly because it sounds safer. I'll post an update once it is installed to let everyone know if it helped compensate for the crappy transmission mapping and how much. It was $300 and I was tired of waiting for Nissan to get off their asses and fix what should have been fixed after last year's fix came out.
Where did you mount it?

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I keep forgetting to stop by my Nissan dealership. I might take it in after the holidays. Only thing I hate is the process of getting home after dropping it off. I wish they would just come pick it up.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Stop by the Nissan dealership for what? Did I miss something?
To have them check my transmission, to get the issue documented. I still get the occasional high revving and slow shifting when in parking lots and when pulling out into traffic. The reflash on my 2020 fixed those issues.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Dropped off the Titan and am waiting to hear what they find. Interesting discussion with the advisor as he stated that he had another Titan in with similar complaints. Probably the first time I spoke with a service advisor who mentioned another 2021 reporting the same issues. This is why I figure that we need more 2021 Titan owners that are experiencing this same issue to reach out to Nissan. The advisor did mention that he is aware of the reflash for the 2020s, so at least I know that my advisor knows the history of this issue. Will hopefully hear something by tomorrow. I'll keep everyone posted, even though I'm suspecting that they'll just tell me that there's no current fix.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
No updates as of yet. I can't help wonder if they're just hooking up a code reader and driving it around for 5 minutes. Oh well. At least I'm on record.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Called by the dealership. They claim that they couldn't duplicate the transmission latency that I complained about. Actually tried to tell me that it's "normal for the 9-speed", to which I told them that it wasn't normal with my 2020 (I think the advisor was scratching his head as to how I had a 2020 and now the 2021). Said that he hadn't heard of a re-flash for the 2021s, but at least my vehicle is in their system. Will pick up this afternoon at lunch.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Dealership notes were "We could not duplicate the issue, but the technician reported that the engine revved at a higher RPM when slowing down and coming to a stop". So at least their technician did indicate that there was something going on with the engine holding onto revs when coming to a stop, so that's some sort of progress. But, they apparently weren't concerned with trying to figure out why it was doing that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Dealership notes were "We could not duplicate the issue, but the technician reported that the engine revved at a higher RPM when slowing down and coming to a stop". So at least their technician did indicate that there was something going on with the engine holding onto revs when coming to a stop, so that's some sort of progress. But, they apparently weren't concerned with trying to figure out why it was doing that.
You had better luck than I did. I recently brought my '21 in for an oil change and a few other things, one being the transmission. I explained all the issues and got back "Normal characteristics of the 9 speed transmission."

41 - 60 of 63 Posts