Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I also posted this question in karlconnell's Minor Problems thread, but figured I'd ask here, too, since I'm not actually sure it's a problem...

Can those of you who have heard engine noise please describe the noise as well as you can?

I hear a very quiet ticking from the motor. It definitely is in sync with engine revs, and sounds to me like a very slight lifter tick. Do any of you have dead silent engines? Mine sounds like a small leaf in the vent fan, but is not. I can't hear it with the cabin fan over setting two. I can't hear it with the radio playing. It's quiet, but definitely present...

·
Registered
250 Posts
The only way to have a "dead silent engine" is to turn it off. There are a lot of moving parts in a motor, especially with 32 valves actuated by dual overhead cams, and it is very unrealistic to expect silence from a running motor.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
outahere said:
The only way to have a "dead silent engine" is to turn it off. There are a lot of moving parts in a motor, especially with 32 valves actuated by dual overhead cams, and it is very unrealistic to expect silence from a running motor.
Thank you. :) That is completely what I thought. There are several threads here that had me a little concerned about the "ticking." My first thought was it's just normal. Then, some paranoia set in after reading some people's serious concerns. It's nothing that sounds abnormal to me, I'm just being overly-cautious...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Guys, I don't think the "ticking" you are hearing is mechanical at all. I notice it, have checked it out to great lengths and it appears to be injector noise. I would not worry one bit about it......hell, it is FAR less noisy than my last 2 GM pushrod engines, especially on the rev.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Skip Hess, thanks... I'm glad I'm not the only one who hears a "ticking" and has sensitive ears. :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
stevnmd said:
Skip Hess, thanks... I'm glad I'm not the only one who hears a "ticking" and has sensitive ears. :)
I started hearing this yesterday on mine. I was driving earlier this afternoon not thinking about it and heard nothing at stop lights, etc. Then for some reason i started thinking about the "ticking" noise, and magically there it was. Paranoia...increases everything.

It reminded me of my Ford Probe GT that developed a strange case of lifter failure at only 6000 miles. All 24 lifter valves had to be replaced. I wasn't too happy. Even more so because it was a new model and the Ford Dealer had no idea how to fix it. I was car-less for 2 weeks.

I was worried all day about my Titan til now. I'm glad others have heard it too and think it's nothing to worry about.

On a positive note, one thing i did notice was that if you turn up the stereo...it goes away (sarcasm that is).

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sabre66, good to know I'm not the only paranoid one...

Do you hear a "suction sound" periodically, too. Guess it's something with the heat or the coolant. I don't know. :) Sounds like it comes from the right side? Anyone else hear it and know what it is?

Geez, I love motorcycles. I can pretty much identify most any sound they make. Plus, I'm just not THRILLED with the acceleration of this thing like so many others are. Ahh, 2 wheels are SO much better than 4....

·
Registered
230 Posts
stevnmd said:

Do you hear a "suction sound" periodically, too. Guess it's something with the heat or the coolant. I don't know. :) Sounds like it comes from the right side? Anyone else hear it and know what it is?

Geez, I love motorcycles. I can pretty much identify most any sound they make. Plus, I'm just not THRILLED with the acceleration of this thing like so many others are. Ahh, 2 wheels are SO much better than 4....

Paranoia is my middle name...Sabre "Paranoia" 66.

I'm very anal when it comes to my vehicles. Thank god for my wife, she's calmed me way down. It used to be i'd spend 6 hrs each weekend detailing my car. Now i'm down to just 3 (ha-ha).

·
Registered
295 Posts
stevnmd said:

I hear the what sounds like the A/C making a "suction sound". I have noticed this on other vehicles before also.

·
Registered
163 Posts
stevnmd said:
Steve, we have been spoiled by the thrust of acceleration of 100 HP motorcycles that weigh in @ about 400 lbs. and handling that carves corners like a knife through warm butter.

Still, the Titan is a blast to drive......

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
BullDawg said:
I hear the what sounds like the A/C making a "suction sound". I have noticed this on other vehicles before also.
Yeah, that's what it sounds like to me, too, but this is with no A/C on. I am fairly certain it's just related to the thermostat for the heat. :D I'll be over my paranoia soon, I'm sure. :teeth:

Oh, and pistonpete, I know... :) I'm just bitter due to the weater. It's been weeks since I've ridden and I'm having withdrawals...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ticking

stevnmd said:
I have sensitive ears too. But the ticking is coming from a part on the passenger side on the engine. If you lift the hood while the engine is running you will clearly hear it. Try the ground wire fix.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
stevnmd said:
I also posted this question in karlconnell's Minor Problems thread, but figured I'd ask here, too, since I'm not actually sure it's a problem...

Can those of you who have heard engine noise please describe the noise as well as you can?

I hear a very quiet ticking from the motor. It definitely is in sync with engine revs, and sounds to me like a very slight lifter tick. Do any of you have dead silent engines? Mine sounds like a small leaf in the vent fan, but is not. I can't hear it with the cabin fan over setting two. I can't hear it with the radio playing. It's quiet, but definitely present...

Many threads on this.........prepare to read till you bleed (your eyes, that is)!!

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16678

·
Registered
335 Posts
I get the tick. There are a ton of threads on this forum that gives you tips on how to fix. Find the one about plaing an extra groun wire on the motor mount. That is a sure fix from what I have head. I am just too lazy to do it to mine.

I also get a slight roar at around 100.

Nuck

·
Registered
891 Posts
I just went with a louder exhaust. Now I don't hear the ticking it at all :jester:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Engines these days are built with greater tolerances than they used to be. This means a motor that turns more freely and is more economical. The down side is more engine noise. Back in 1970's a tick or a slight knock was a problem but not always the case now. Three of the four Chevy trucks I owned had a tick or slight knock of some sort, my Titan included. It's hard to get used to and I'm not yet. I'm old school. Guess we have to take the good with the bad.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts