Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone experienced any problems with their daystar 2.5" lift like 1badtitan and his issue with blown(overextended struts)? if so please do not be embarassed to post!!! we all need to know.

·
Premium Member
6,099 Posts
So what happened exactly? How were they blown/over extended? Are you ordering longer ones? I was really interested in this lift until I read this post.

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Please anyone with the daystar lift acknowledge this thread. there is a lot of us here wanting to know how they are and how they have been as we are interested in lifting are titans as well...

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
1BadTitan said:
No shame here. My truck is f_cked. Ordering struts first thing in the morning.
1 bad titan, i'm not knocking you in anyway shape or form, i just really want to level the truck and daystar which has been around for years seems like the reasonable way to go. my question to you is do you install it correctly yes or no? did you deviate from the instructions or perhaps do something incorrectly that would have caused your struts to blow. it seems that you are not shy at telling everyone that you indeed f-uc-ked up but you have not answered anyone's questions regarding the installation process you took. so i am trying to find out if anyone else is having the same problem and if so then i know to stay away from the daystars. there are a lot of reasons why your struts may have blown and we are trying to deduce how you came about your problems through a methodical process. why don't you take it to an offroad shop to see if indeed you did assemble everything correctly. i really want to know if you dotted your i's and crossed your t's when installing.

·
Premium Member
6,099 Posts
Could this just be a problem with the Titans equiped with the off-road package with Rancho struts? The one other day-star lift I've read about on here was installed on a 2wd CC with no problems noted.

·
Registered
33 Posts
2"of play

Ive added 2" to other trucks and never had a problem with the shock being over extended. A lot of 2" lifts Ive seen
tell you that the stock shocks can be used. Maybe the struts are more sensitive to the height change. Bottom line is ,Ive got a daystar on order and would like to get to the bottom of this.Maybe call Daystar direct.

·
Registered
134 Posts
1BadTitan said:
No shame here. My truck is f_cked.

Ordering struts first thing in the morning.

Where are you ordering the struts from ??

I saw an ad in the paper yesterday at O'Reilly Autoparts for Rancho shocks

buy 3 get one free, don't know if they have stores in your part of the country, used to be Hi Lo Autoparts

FWIW, hope you get your truck fixed soon!

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
OK, Here it is. in my opinion I installed correctly. I contacted my dealer and he told me they have indeed installed them in the past and had no problems on 2 or 4wd. I am the idiot. They said to bring it in and they will fix my [email protected] They said the will diagnose the problem thouroughly tomorrow. I will have more info then. i will keep everyone posted as to what it is. This is the first titan 4wd they have seen with the daystar kit so he said this will be a learning experience for both of us.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Lets use the supension forum, thats what its there for.

Just trying to keep the forums clean.

:teethmast

·
Registered
278 Posts
1bad so what did the dealer say???? :computern

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
good lord, what nissan did you take it to, because i'll be sure not to take it to them. did you ask them how many lunch breaks they are taking? how many frickin days is it going to take for them to figure it out?

:gunz: - have my truck diagnosed when i come back or else!!! :jester:

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
They said that it is in fact the over-extended rancho struts and they will NOT cover it since I installed the kit and the total is $500. 2 new struts, an alignment and labor. My full warranty is back in effect for the whole truck since they are doing trhe work. They told me that they will NOT install the lift bushings again and if they see it back on the truck they will void the whole front suspension warranty forever. they also said they do not recommend the kit be reinstalled as it is aftermarket and said the coil bushing is way too large. It puts too much pressure on the strut rebound.

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i think i'm still going to go with the lift and have it installed as i have inquired with many a people with the lift and many who have dealt with them in the past and there just isn't enough that tells me not to do it, besides the door wedge look is really pissing me off...

rancho shocks suck bal-sac anyways not worth over $300.00 imho - i'll be waiting for the bilstein 5100s for the titan for they are designed for trucks with lifts. i've had ranchos before and they suck, seriously. it has something to do with the inferior design of the twin tube. the ranchos sucked so bad i went with Bilsteins on my old truck and loved them from the day they were put on, their monotube design kicks *** and their performance is night and day compared to the ranchos. i HIGHLY recommend bilsteins to everyone when they come out with a part number for us titan owners.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I just measured the ride height in the front and rear, and it looks like the front is actually only 1" lower than the rear (from the top of the wheel well to the center of the hub). I think I might just go for the 1" Daystar now that I measured it...maybe that will not cause the same problems with overextended struts?????

·
Registered
44 Posts
You guys have me a little worried

Prometheus said:
has anyone experienced any problems with their daystar 2.5" lift like 1badtitan and his issue with blown(overextended struts)? if so please do not be embarassed to post!!! we all need to know.
Hey guys - I'm a noobie here - left the corvetteforum :crying: and now I'm enjoying truckdom.
I have had my Titan a little over a month - CC 4x4 Off-Road w/ Big Tow.
I personally installed this kit about 3 weeks ago. Pretty straight forward - just make sure that if you do this yourself, you have a really strong air-ratchet. Compressing the coil springs is a real PITA! Otherwise no problems with the install. Also, you'll likely need to readjust your headlights afterwards - I got alot of fingers after the install.

Initially after the install I wasn't sure if I liked the ride. It's very springy up front. With 2" of added preload that makes sense. The increased preload certainly increases the noise and the road transfer up through the suspension/steering to the driver.
I called Daystar the day after and asked if this was normal (extra noise, etc). They said the polyurethane takes a little time to seat and loosens up after a few days.

After the install, I felt that the good road manners are maintained. The increased height makes the drivers seat feel much different IMO (I never could get the seat adjusted without feeling like I was still slipping forward prior to this kit) I've now got about 1200 miles (but none off road) on the kit and the ride HAS improved. It's still very springy, but it seems to have lessened a bit. No major clunking, rattling.

After reading 1BadTitan's posts over the last few days, I'm a little worried. I don't really hear any clunking, but I certainly feel the extra pressure in the springs. Has anyone talked to Rancho about this? I wonder what they would say about this kit? I haven't really had my truck off road yet - and I'm really contemplating not doing any until I get more definitive info on this. I talked to Don (tech) at Daystar again today. I told him about what I'd read here on the forum and inquired what kind of R&D and testing they had on the kit. He said that they had installed ~2000 kits so far with no problems. He did indicate some problems - but with an Armada. He said that they had done the installs on various Titans including the 4x4, 4x2, and off road pkg versions without any issues. He seemed pretty surprised when I told him what happened to 1BadTitan. He said that many of his buyers are dealers who are installing these as options and he's had no complaints. Needless to say his words reassured me, but I think I'd still like Daystar to make some sort of statement regarding the use of this kit with stock suspension components, in particular the strut assembly. I may call back and ask if they'll issue a letter indicating that the kit was tested using stock components and will not cause damage or malfunction of any stock components.

Anyways, sorry for the long reply. Overall, I'm happy with the kit - the truck looks [email protected] now that it's leveled. I find it really hard to believe that only 2.5" would max this strut out often enough to cause failure. I plan on calling Rancho to see what they have to say about it. I'll post up when I get any more info. For the meantime - I guess I'll tread lightly. I don't want to dish out another $500 to replace some already new struts.

RoughRider

1 - 20 of 47 Posts