Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried searching the forums but haven't seen anything. I need to install a motorcycle tie down bar at the front of the bed and there is not enough room to get in there without moving the bed back.
From what I can see it looks like 4 bolts at the corners, but I figured I would check to see if there are any tips to make the job easier.

·
Registered
6,043 Posts
While I've never removed the bed on a Titan, I have on my old S-10 before. I imagine that it's similar.

First of all, if you only need to slide it back a bit, you'll only be able to go as far as the bumper will let you. Plus you need to stuff something in between there so that the bumper doesn't scratch your paint. You'd likely only have to remove those four bolts to accomplish this. If that doesn't gain you enough clearance, then you'll have to take the bed off.

I'll assume that you already have the four bed bolts removed:

First, remove the tailgate.

Next, remove the tailights.

Unbolt the screws that hold the fuel filler tube to the bedside. May have to remove the fuel cap as well??

I'm not certain, but I believe there are supports for the bedsides that may need removed as well. They might bolt onto the frame or else they are just attached to the interior part of the bed itself.

Due to the design of the bed and how it curves down around the backside of the cab, I believe it will be necessary to remove the rear bumper as well. You won't be able to just lift the bed straight up and off. This means disconnecting the electrical connection for the license plate lights as well.

The bed should be completely unattached from the truck at this point and everything should be clear.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
177 Posts
tomsybari said:
I've tried searching the forums but haven't seen anything. I need to install a motorcycle tie down bar at the front of the bed and there is not enough room to get in there without moving the bed back.
From what I can see it looks like 4 bolts at the corners, but I figured I would check to see if there are any tips to make the job easier.
Jack it up enough you can take the back tires off, unplug the taillights on each frame rail at the back, disconnect the gas filler neck(however is best for you), I think there is a ground strap to take loose close to the filler neck under the bed, cover and pad the back and lower edges of your cab and the top of your bumper so you don't scratch th cab. Take the bolts out and you can get a few friends to help you pick it up a little and ease it back (the purpose of pulling the tires is to keep from having to lift the back of the bed up so high to clear the bottom edge of the cab) , set yourself up a couple of good, strong, sawhorses to hold it and set it on there. Oh, if you have the spray in bedliner with the utilitrack you will have another connection to take loose for the powerport on the rear of the left frame rail. Don't loose your rubber washers that go between the bed and frame or you will have some extra noise. Before you start lifting, take a good look underneath to make sure everything is loose, you don't want to find out you missed something after you start lifting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick replies and tips.
Good idea on removing the rear tires, it is crazy the way the front of the bed goes under the cab. With my buddys Dodge, it was straight down and we were able to install the motorcycle bar with the bed attached.

·
Registered
96 Posts
can you explain what you are tryng to install. I carry my bikes regularly with no issues.

Do you have utilitrac?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm looking to install a "Box Bar"...
sandhillspowersports.com/sandhills/OnlineStore.do?DSP=200&PCR=1:70000:70035&IID=cambridge_boxbars_06

This will make it easier to strap in two race bikes and eliminate having to put something in to block back the front tire to keep the upper lip on the bed from cutting the front tire.

I have the utilitrac system.

How are you strapping in two bikes? What kind of bikes are they?

Thanks,
Tom

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
Can't you use the Utilitrac bar with cleats to attach the bikes? If not can you attach the box bar to the Utilitrac rail or remove the rail and use the bolt holes provided to connect the box bar?

Clint

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Clint said:
Can't you use the Utilitrac bar with cleats to attach the bikes?
That does work for the front tie own straps, but does not keep the front tire from being cut by the lip of the bed.

Clint said:
If not can you attach the box bar to the Utilitrac rail or remove the rail and use the bolt holes provided to connect the box bar?
Neat idea, but it is too high to grab the tire, the bar needs to be mounted about mid-hieght of the bed.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I only carry one at a time. But, I use a wheel chock. It is designed to be secured to a trailer floor, but I added 2 brackets (one to each side) and the other end of the brackets mount to the utilitrack on either side. I can just screw it in or out with 2 bolts and remove it from the truck. I can post a pick if you want. Im sure you could fab it to work for 2 bikes.

I then use 2 tie downs in the front and one long one over the seat to compress the rear so it doesnt shake but its kinda overkill cause the chock holds the bike very well.

·
Registered
96 Posts
tomsybari said:
Neat idea, but it is too high to grab the tire, the bar needs to be mounted about mid-hieght of the bed.
One solution to this is to use brackets to lower it to the height you want from the utilitrac. I cut the secure bolts out of 2 of the stops from the trac system and replaced them with a removable bolt so I can put the new bolt through my bracket then into the stop so its secures to the utilitrac and can be used as a mounting point.

Ill try to take a picture if I can but muight not be till monday when I load the bike for the track.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
what kind of bikes you trying to strap in?? Street bikes? Dirt Bikes? My utillitrack doesnt cut my tires up at all. What size front wheels do you have??!!! 30" lol?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts