Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've driven SUV's for about 14 years and really enjoy the "U" part of SUV. It's very handy to toss the dog, the groceries, the guns, whatever, in the back (while still seating everyone) and not worry about it being blown out, frozen, roasted, rained on, stolen, etc.

BUT, I've been seriously contemplating buying a Titan for months now, 'cause the ole Chevy Blazer just isn't going to live long towing my ski boat. It complains bitterly every time, and is leaking all over my garage floor in an effort to force retirement. I'm at the crux right now - I can buy and I have a beautiful Titan lined up. BUT I can't shake the feeling that I'd miss having an SUV, and that maybe I should get a Chevy Tahoe (gasp! hehe) instead. I don't make many big runs to Home Depot, although there is a deck project in the forseeable future. The Tahoe's turning circle blows the Titan away, which would be very handy getting my boat in and out of the very narrow street that it's parked on. Other than towing the boat, I haul bikes around fairly regularly. There may be kids in the future, but that's up in the air. That's it!

Any of you guys have experience grappling with this question? How'd you resolve it? Somebody please convince me that I should get the Titan :).

Thanks!
Justin

OH YEAH, PS - I asked a dealer if they could sell me a specific vehicle w/o the sliding bed extender, or trade it for the sliding divider, and he said no. Is he BS'ing me?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Coolhand said:
I've driven SUV's for about 14 years and really enjoy the "U" part of SUV. It's very handy to toss the dog, the groceries, the guns, whatever, in the back (while still seating everyone) and not worry about it being blown out, frozen, roasted, rained on, stolen, etc.

BUT, I've been seriously contemplating buying a Titan for months now, 'cause the ole Chevy Blazer just isn't going to live long towing my ski boat. It complains bitterly every time, and is leaking all over my garage floor in an effort to force retirement. I'm at the crux right now - I can buy and I have a beautiful Titan lined up. BUT I can't shake the feeling that I'd miss having an SUV, and that maybe I should get a Chevy Tahoe (gasp! hehe) instead. I don't make many big runs to Home Depot, although there is a deck project in the forseeable future. The Tahoe's turning circle blows the Titan away, which would be very handy getting my boat in and out of the very narrow street that it's parked on. Other than towing the boat, I haul bikes around fairly regularly. There may be kids in the future, but that's up in the air. That's it!

Any of you guys have experience grappling with this question? How'd you resolve it? Somebody please convince me that I should get the Titan :).

Thanks!
Justin

OH YEAH, PS - I asked a dealer if they could sell me a specific vehicle w/o the sliding bed extender, or trade it for the sliding divider, and he said no. Is he BS'ing me?
How about an Armada? Same power and chassis as the TITAN and an SUV with 9100lbs towing rate! You can get the air suspension on the back for towing. I've been torn between the two for the reasons you mentioned in your post.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I like SUV's and Trucks so I've got one of each. It's hard to beat the Lincoln Aviator my wife drives. It's quiet, goes like hell, and has the 3rd row seat in it for extra capacity if needed. It's also rated to tow 7400 lbs. so I guess it's whatever you want. I don't like the HUGE SUV's like the Navigator or the Expedition, so that's why we got one the fits us better in size and needs. Can't go wrong with either......

·
Registered
105 Posts
me too

Coolhand said:

Thanks!
Justin

I also went from a utility vehicle (1 ton VAN) to now the TITAN and haven't quite figured out how to make the adjustment....I dont want to get a shell...but the slide in truck box takes too much room (crew cab)...unless I can find a slide in truck box that breaks down like the one did for the frontier i saw somewhere....i haul dirt bikes and other goodies....i have an enclosed trailer but dont always want to tow it....I took the kids and wife clothes shopping this last weekend and we had to lock the stroller into the bed when we went in for lunch...oh well i guess thats the price i pay for having one of the best trucks i have ever driven. as far as options...i am not sure about the bed divider / bed extender question.....you might want to ask another dealer...get a 2nd opinion.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Yeah Kurt I have the same concerns. If I get a locking box for the bed, I don't think I could even fit mountainbikes in there... especially with the crew cab. I suppose I could mount some axle locks for grabbing the front forks on top of the box and do it that way...

ARG.

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
I went from a Dodge Durango to the Titan Crew Cab.

I wanted a truck, we don't have kids or dogs and with only the wife and I, we don't really expect to HAVE TO put a lot of stuff in the bed. I am getting a cover (still no idea which one yet) and if I need to use the bed, it will be covered and dry, clean, warm, etc. under it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
i plan putting gas cans in the bed so i like the idea of an open bed for this....no toxic fumes in the trailer where i plan to sleep or the van where i would drive a little light-headed after a few bumps....one time i my gas cans spilled and so the family had to sleep in a friends trialer while in the desert until I could air it out enough.

·
Registered
105 Posts
kurtdb1 said:
i plan putting gas cans in the bed so i like the idea of an open bed for this....no toxic fumes in the trailer where i plan to sleep or the van where i would drive a little light-headed after a few bumps....one time i my gas cans spilled and so the family had to sleep in a friends trialer while in the desert until I could air it out enough.
WOW...I GUESS I SHOULD SPELL CHECK NEXT TIME

·
Registered
140 Posts
I moved from a 99 Nissan Pathfinder to a 04 Titan.

I never really used the U part of SUV. At most, some surf boards, backpacks, luggage, 4" gas toy boat, car wash posters, and project materials (bike wheel, catapalt, etc.). I haven't had much trouble finding places to put things. Perhaps later, i may get a soft cover for some of the big yet sensative item, but right now, it's not too bad.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I went from a Ford Explorer XLT to the Titan. I dont miss having to open the lift gate to put stuff in the back. Before the Explorer I drove a 1/2 ton Silverado so I knew what I was missing. Thats why I came home!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Coolhand said:

Thanks!
Justin

Hello Coolhand:

I was where you are in a sense. If you see yourself in the near future doing a deck or yardwork or any number of things that involve hauling, the Titan gets my vote. Otherwise go with the SUV of choice. The decision I came to was to get the CC vs. the KC so I could have virtually both an SUV and the truck bed! The Titan CC is very roomy with all the creature comforts one could want. Because of the shortened bed of a CC, I wanted the bed extender! As it ended up mine came with that and the divider. Actually since I have both, I've found that the extender can sub as a divider in many cases.

I was back in forth in my mind on this SUV OR truck decision over a couple of months. Since then everyone who has taken a ride says that's the way to go. I'm happy with the decision! :)

All that said, the Titan takes some getting used to in backing into tight places. I'm at 25% of the speed I normally would back into my garage. Those side mirrors are great and I'm glad I have them, but I'd hate to snap one off or trade paint with my wife's mini-van $$ ! The alley you mention may test your patience, only you can determine that. Good Luck on getting much sleep during this decision! The Titan is a hard one to walk away from, but you already know that! :cheers:

NITEBLITZ

·
Registered
24 Posts
well i made the change and it was a difficult one....I went from a 99 Range Rover HSE to my Titan..I debated a truck for awhile but when I drove the Titan it was all over...
Coolhand said:

Thanks!
Justin

·
Registered
93 Posts
I went from a 99 suburban 4x4 to the titan. Once a shell is available all my problems will be solved. I am married with 3 kids and two dogs. The kids have plenty of room and once the back is covered the dogs will have plenty of room. I havent decided if the shell will stay on all the time or just when I need it. the things that I haul go on trailers so covering the bed wont be a problem.
Get a crew and throw the dogs in the rear seat with the seats up. They will have lots of room.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
We moved from a 99.5 Pathfinder to the Titan. Add one seat and have a bed to haul and definately more towing capability :cheers:

Chris

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
DJF1 said:
How about an Armada? Same power and chassis as the TITAN and an SUV with 9100lbs towing rate! You can get the air suspension on the back for towing. I've been torn between the two for the reasons you mentioned in your post.
Hey DJF1, the Armada is definately a helluva vehicle, but seems to be $4,000 to $5,000 more comparably equipped.... and Edmunds.com is raving about the poor mileage?

Laters,
J

·
Registered
12 Posts
Coolhand said:
Hey DJF1, the Armada is definately a helluva vehicle, but seems to be $4,000 to $5,000 more comparably equipped.... and Edmunds.com is raving about the poor mileage?

Laters,
J
Yeah I know I know... I have searched and looked left and right. Indeed once I rode on a Titan I was "sold". Being that towing for me is my number 1 reason for getting a truck at least in my case I will not be able to afford a separate daily driver as I already have too many cars ( read toys) and my wife will demand one of my toys to get the boot. So usability comes into play as well. My ideal SUV would be the new Touareg with the Turbo Diesel engine but the base price gives me a headacke thinking about it, plus the SUV is not rated for more tha 7700lbs. That rate is almost a dealbraker for me considering my tow could be more than 7000lbs alone. So looking at the track/suv market for the towing rate of the Armada or Titan you will not really find any other vehicles that are economical as far as fuel consumption is concerned. They are all really big rigs, heavy with big engines so dont expect much. A friend's F250 we used to tow would go to an eye watering 9mpg at best when towing and it was a Turbo Diesel...I would hate to think what the Excursion consumption would be with the same engine...
So YMMV really. I guess you have to look at what your priorities are and decide. While 4-5K is a bit steep of a difference, still for the rig you can get its worth it. I have not driven an Armada yet but if I judge anything from the Titan ohhh it will be a sweet rig indeed.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm still grappling with the switch sorta (still have the X5), I figure with a cover everything will be fine. I have an enclosed trailer for the dirtbikes and stuff so that's not a problem but it's the groceries and stuff that worry me. The bed cover seems to be the most ideal solution--I don't wanna put a cab on the back.

I'm not super happy with the mileage but everything else balances the equation for me. The Armada might be your solution.

GL with your decision.

·
Registered
780 Posts
2000 Wrangler Sahara with Limited Slip Differential (LSD)

I had a 2000 Wrangler Sahara with Limited Slip Differential (LSD) axle: Good off-road vehicle, except it only tows 2000# and has enough room for a couple and thier gear.

I considered a Suburban, but wanted the pickup to fit the three mt. bikes (and racing stuff) without removing the front wheels; to sleep in the open bed; and haul wild pig or deer.

Test drove the Armada ..is very cool, but i like a 6.5" open bed and the $11,000 price difference of my Titan.

now we sold the Wrangler (we will miss it :crying: ) and bought the mini-suv Honda Element 4wd ( :cheers: ) for as a "town wagon" and car camping "RV" when we don't need the extra hauling or the off-road capabilities of the mighty Titan :gunz: .

now if only Titan had 4 wheel turning and e-lockers...

although i bought the Titan as a 4wd off-road pickup, I really dig the handling on twisty mt. roads and the smooth & brutal passing power on the highways: darn if my "need for speed" isn't ADDICTIVE. I've not had so much fun on a road since i had my '71 Cougar (yes a Ford!) with 351 Cleveland V8 with 4 barrel Holly carb! whew!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the excellent responses guys, and for the words of caution re: backing up NITEBLITZ. Plucky, you sound like a Texan with all the mountainbiking and boar hunting, and I hear ya on four wheel steering. The Titan would be unbeatable with it.

I tell ya, I'm getting tired of running through this in my head. If I buy a pickup, it will be a Titan - and I'm about ---> <--- this close to just saying the hell with it and doing it. BUT, criminy I feel like I owe it to myself to drive some full-size SUVs and see what I think before dropping +$30k on a vehicle. The only SUV I'm really considering is the Chevy Tahoe - it has a 5.3L V8 and an excellent (comparitivly speaking) turning circle. But, it just barely scrapped itself up to "average" reliability in consumer reports, it's expensive, and everybody and their dog has one :) The Armada is cool but just a little too huge in my book.

Thanks again guys,
Justin

·
Registered
230 Posts
I went from an '01 Pathfinder to the Titan CC and wouldn't ever go back. I have plenty of room in the CC and find it easier to live with than the Pathy ever was. I hated having to remove the headrests, pick up anything on the floor, and then fold the seats all up in the Pathy. With the Titan it's a breeze and i have plenty of room to fit most anything. If i have anything too large or too dirty the bed is perfect.

For odd sized objects like bicycles, kayak, or canoes the bed seems a much better option than the interior of an SUV. It's all about your needs though, so weigh out the STRENGTHS vs. WEAKNESSES for your families lifestyle. :upsidedow

1 - 20 of 43 Posts