Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Titan Pro-4X 2006 Titan SE (sold) Chevy SS Sedan
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...as to how this happened?

It looks obvious to me, some idiot tech tried to pry the taillight off. I'm pretty irritated by it. The only problem is that I can't see a good scenario for this. I don't think I want the dealership trying to touch it up. But I'm irritated with this dealership. This is the same dealership that washed my truck when it was raining.

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
2,452 Posts
Wow. That really sucks. That's sticks out fairly obviously since the truck is a beautiful blue

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Check your area. There are mobile service guys that will come to you to fill, paint, and clear those for about $300..

Wife was always scratching up her Armada and they would make it look like it never happened…

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The best scratches are the ones made by thine self!!
Exactly, it's also annoying that you entrust your vehicle to someone because you figure they know what they're doing. It's obvious that this tech needs to be flipping burgers and not working on peoples' vehicles.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I'm not sure how I feel about getting it touched up. Sometimes they make a bigger mess. I'll have to visit the dealership sometime this week.

So is the consensus that it appears to be something that was done with the taillight removal? I could understand if the scratch was near the front of the truck, but there's no way that a rock is going to hit that part of the vehicle so close to the taillight. I'd have to be driving the highway in reverse to get that type of chip in that location.

·
Registered
2020 Titan Pro4X
438 Posts
I'm not sure how I feel about getting it touched up. Sometimes they make a bigger mess. I'll have to visit the dealership sometime this week.

So is the consensus that it appears to be something that was done with the taillight removal? I could understand if the scratch was near the front of the truck, but there's no way that a rock is going to hit that part of the vehicle so close to the taillight. I'd have to be driving the highway in reverse to get that type of chip in that location.
Yeah - that's a tough paint to match with a touchup kit. You had the taillights TSB done, right? That is definitely a careless tech using a screwdriver or metal pry to pop the housing out. They have plastic / polyurethane tools for this type of stuff - it won't scratch or mar the paint. A touchup kit will never look right - when the truck is clean, in good light, you'll be able to see the spots where you covered their mistakes. That sucks. Do you want to be "that guy" that takes it back to the shop for a few scratches? (I probably would) Or, do you fix it out of pocket - with someone who knows what they're doing...

·
Registered
3 Posts
This what the first truck I bought looked like. This is in the dealer lot after everything was signed and they got it detailed while I signed papers. Needless to say I switched it for a gray one. Scared me away from that color.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Titan PRO-4X
125 Posts
Exactly, it's also annoying that you entrust your vehicle to someone because you figure they know what they're doing. It's obvious that this tech needs to be flipping burgers and not working on peoples' vehicles.
The burger flipping experience is what got him the job at the dealership. Oh, you flipped burgers? You'll know how to use this. You're hired!

·
Registered
2020 Titan Pro4X
438 Posts
This what the first truck I bought looked like. This is in the dealer lot after everything was signed and they got it detailed while I signed papers. Needless to say I switched it for a gray one. Scared me away from that color.
In 2011, we got a really good deal on a new Ford Flex - met our needs at the time and was an absolutely great vehicle. It was a really pretty metallic blue and the first time I washed it I realized, this color is not going to be good for us. We drove it for ten years - trouble free. When we sold it, we had some major color-correction (or whatever you call it) done. It looked great at the time of the sale - but that color is very hard to maintain...like metallic black.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
it’s like a year old so why did a tech have to take the taillight out?
Oops, sorry I thought I had answered this. And.....Another service campaign?

Replacement of the taillights. When I got the vehicle back from service, there were some really greasy fingerprints around the rear fenders where the tech was fiddling around with the taillight, apparently.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts