Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't get the RF stereo in my Titan, but would like to add power and a sub. I went to the local Circuit City and Tweeter stores, but would be their first Titan install, which is too scary for me. I don't want them learning how to re-assemble a Titan dash with my truck!

Both shops told me they would tap into the speaker lines from the factory radio to get a signal for the amp to run a sub, and although this isn't an ideal way to do it, it's the only way to keep the factory radio.

Does anyone know if the radio is the same in both regular and Rockford-Fosgate packages? And, if so, can I buy a factory plug for the radio to output a signal to the sub?

Thanks for any help!

- Dave

·
Registered
21 Posts
DaveS said:
I didn't get the RF stereo in my Titan, but would like to add power and a sub. I went to the local Circuit City and Tweeter stores, but would be their first Titan install, which is too scary for me. I don't want them learning how to re-assemble a Titan dash with my truck!

Both shops told me they would tap into the speaker lines from the factory radio to get a signal for the amp to run a sub, and although this isn't an ideal way to do it, it's the only way to keep the factory radio.

Does anyone know if the radio is the same in both regular and Rockford-Fosgate packages? And, if so, can I buy a factory plug for the radio to output a signal to the sub?

Thanks for any help!

- Dave
The radios are not the same. Other than that I am not sure.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
DaveS said:

Thanks for any help!

- Dave
I have the RF, so I don't know what your radio looks like. I d'ld the service manual last night and I will take a look when I get a chance to see if it has anything on the speaker connections for the various radios.

The dash panel is no big deal, although I was very wary at first. It just clips on, so you just grab it at one corner with your finger and pull. Then you have to unplug the connectors for the heater & A/C controls, also no big deal, although you should carefully remember or make notes, or put little tags on them to make sure you know what goes where. Then I think you can get to the radio pretty easily (maybe a few screws) to see what the speaker connectors look like.

Also, I would recommend doing all of this on a warm day or in a warm shop to reduce the chances of cracking any plastic on the dash.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
I looked in the Service Manual, Section AV, and noted the following:

1. The Manual refers to Base, Midline, and Premium radios.

2. The Base system does not reference any connection for a subwoofer, although the Manual diagrams are not too good on the radio connectors.

3. On the premium system, the amp is not mounted in the central dash area where the radio is, but rather in the dash area above the driver's legs. It looks a little involved to get to that area, referencing a need to first remove "the Body Control System". I also have looked at the instructions for installing satellite radio to this area (which somebody posted about to this forum), which looks like it would take a little while. I would be reluctant to let your average car stereo installer mess with this.

4. If you have a broadband internet connection, you should probably spend the $20 for a one day subscription and download the Service Manual.

Here is a pretty good site on car stereo installation, but they don't have the Titan there yet:

http://carstereohelp.com/strnissan.htm

·
Registered
52 Posts
I did a upgrade

I has a custom box made for under the back seat of my King Cab. It has two aluminum 10s. I also put in a 600w amp split 300w to the two 10s and the rest to the stock highs. I was not too happy with the stock highs, so I ordered a replacemnt componet mid and tweet set for the front and I will be replacing the back doors with coaxal sets. The box sounds SWEET, and looks verry clean! I will have to up load pics of the set up to you guys. The stereo shop I work next to did it, They made a custom wireing harness to install it, I am sure that they will have a manufactured one soon. Any questions email me, [email protected]

·
Registered
16 Posts
My issues with the Titan's base stereo system is just the overall sound quality. I'd like to upgrade to a decent set of separates up front and coaxials in the rear. I was looking at the Crutchfield catalog online and it states that the front doors use 6x9's and the rear doors are 6 3/4 (over sized 6.5). Do anyone know if there is a built in crossovers for the factory speakers? Nobody seems to make any 6x9 separates and I'm not so sure by adding a 6x9 coaxial it will sound good.

·
Registered
52 Posts
i can't find any 6x9 componets

i can't find any 6x9 componets, I am putting some 6x9 COAXS in I will tell you how they work out. I was also thinking of putting some seperate upgraed tweets in with the coax set in the front for on the top dash. I will aslo be putting some 6.5" coax in the back. I will see if I can take some pics of the install for you.

·
Registered
123 Posts
i would love to see some pics of your box since im trying to figure out how to get 2 12's under my back seat in a crew cab. also i took the 6x9's out and made a baffel out of aluminum and put in 6.5's and aftermarket 1" tweets and they sound much better.

·
Registered
78 Posts
christitan said:
Do anyone know if there is a built in crossovers for the factory speakers? Nobody seems to make any 6x9 separates and I'm not so sure by adding a 6x9 coaxial it will sound good.
I have not seen any 6x9 seperates, but round speakers tend to be more accurate anyway. My buddy seems to think we can squeeze a 6.5 and a 5.25 into the stock 6x9 location up front. I think he is nuts, but I will let everyone know how it goes! If nothing else, just make a bracket to hold a 6.5". IMHO, you would be better off w/ seperates, because the tweefers in the dash will get your sound stage up higher (so it doesn't sound like it is coming from your knees).

·
Registered
513 Posts
piopremier said:
i would love to see some pics of your box since im trying to figure out how to get 2 12's under my back seat in a crew cab. also i took the 6x9's out and made a baffel out of aluminum and put in 6.5's and aftermarket 1" tweets and they sound much better.
You know JL Audio is making a stealth box for the crew cab which should be out soon. I emailed them wanting to know about the king cab but they have only done a crew cab you lucky bastards.

·
Registered
62 Posts
MaxPowers said:
You know JL Audio is making a stealth box for the crew cab which should be out soon. I emailed them wanting to know about the king cab but they have only done a crew cab you lucky bastards.
I know how ya feel Max. I called them asking if they were doing one for the Armada and was told no. DARN IT! I have a StealthBox in my Mitsu Eclipse and that bady boy has been pounding for years!

·
Registered
548 Posts
custom stereo for sale

dboogie said:
I know how ya feel Max. I called them asking if they were doing one for the Armada and was told no. DARN IT! I have a StealthBox in my Mitsu Eclipse and that bady boy has been pounding for years!
i have a complete system minus the box and the xm tuner.

sony xplod cdx-CA900X head unit new
sony aux input xa-300
sony drn-xm01 shark xm satellite radio antenna
audiobahn comp. abc5002q 5.5 inch 2 pair.
a/d/s A8s 1pr 8" subs
a/d/s P450.2 amp 50w X 4
a/d/s P650.2 amp 50w X 6
ssi america/mte neo 35 car jukebox mp3 player
4000 cd / 32,000 mp3 160gb capacity
custom voive / usb etc
2 stinger fans
1 optima yellow
discrete terminals
stinger fuse box

$5,000 msrp

$1,750 plus shipping obo
[email protected]

all pieces guaranteed to work

·
Registered
548 Posts
pics of custom stereo for titan

dcrobt said:
i have a complete system minus the box and the xm tuner.

sony xplod cdx-CA900X head unit new
sony aux input xa-300
sony drn-xm01 shark xm satellite radio antenna
audiobahn comp. abc5002q 5.5 inch 2 pair. with
extra tweeter and speaker grille
a/d/s A8s 1pr 8" subs
a/d/s P450.2 amp 50w X 4
a/d/s P650.2 amp 50w X 6
ssi america/mte neo 35 car jukebox mp3 player
4000 cd / 32,000 mp3 160gb capacity
custom voice kit / usb etc
custom wired remote
2 stinger fans
1 optima yellow top audio battery
discrete terminals
stinger fuse box

$5,000 msrp

$1,750 plus shipping obo
[email protected]
Exc. condition i do not have the boxes anymore though.
I had this in my 1995 nissan kingcab
for 6 months.

Attachments

·
Registered
548 Posts
subwoofer gain

it also includes the subwoofer gain switch made for the a/d/s P series power plate amps
ac 502 msrp $90
ac 205 msrp $25

·
Registered
16 Posts
Silver SErfer said:
I have not seen any 6x9 seperates, but round speakers tend to be more accurate anyway. My buddy seems to think we can squeeze a 6.5 and a 5.25 into the stock 6x9 location up front. I think he is nuts, but I will let everyone know how it goes! If nothing else, just make a bracket to hold a 6.5". IMHO, you would be better off w/ seperates, because the tweefers in the dash will get your sound stage up higher (so it doesn't sound like it is coming from your knees).
I've been looking around for some 6x9 separates and found out MB Quart makes their Reference series in a coax/separate combo. The tweeter is removable and can be used as a separate. Otherwise I may take your advise and try to mount a 6.5".

http://www.mbquart.com/2003/en_US/p...&series=reference series&strt=1&model=RCE+269

·
Registered
129 Posts
Actually the best place to put speakers is in lower areas such as kick plate. It helps stereo imaging as having them high makes one speaker much closer to your ear then the other. Also humans hearing is more sensitive to horizontal plane then verticle sound.

·
Registered
52 Posts
PICS of my box

I promised pics so here they are.... this is my custom made box in my king cab titan. It has 2 10s downfiring at the floor on either side, and a channel open in-between the two. I am not the best at taking pics, anyways tell me what you think!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,325 Posts
Phedge said:
I promised pics so here they are.... this is my custom made box in my king cab titan. It has 2 10s downfiring at the floor on either side, and a channel open in-between the two. I am not the best at taking pics, anyways tell me what you think!
Who made that? How did you wire everything in since we don't have a dask kit for stereo upgrade. Did you use speaker outputs from radio to amp then to speakers.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Phedge said:
man that is friggin amazing, those are some serious measurements that you had to do. definitely impressed. I too am interested in how you connected an amp to the stock radio?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts