Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight on my way home from work, I nailed the throttle at a light and the truck jumped then backfired, jumped, backfired, jumped, backfired then took off.

I checked to see if it would surge and hesitate while driving above 35mph and it just takes off fine and runs like it should.

I then went to the KMart world headquarters parking lot and was able to repeat the scenario from a dead stop every time I accelerated.

It almost sounds like a backfire 3-4 times in a row and then the truck accelerates like it normally would.

This is the first time I have ever had a drivability issue with the truck and it seems a little strange. I have not done any recent work that would cause its behavior to change and 4 days ago it was running just fine.

Anyone else ever have this issue?

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
Check your MAF sensor in the air intake and make sure its still in there tight and connected good.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Helinut1970 said:
Check your MAF sensor in the air intake and make sure its still in there tight and connected good.
Hi , that was my first thought so I went out and checked it to see if it was messed up visually. I pulled it out of the intake tube and it looks like new. No dust, dirt or oil build up just perfect looking. The connection was seated properly and no issues found.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
Vector said:
Hi , that was my first thought so I went out and checked it to see if it was messed up visually. I pulled it out of the intake tube and it looks like new. No dust, dirt or oil build up just perfect looking. The connection was seated properly and no issues found.
Can you do the problem everytime cold or hot??

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, hot or cold it seems to do it

·
Registered
14 Posts
Vector said:
Yes, hot or cold it seems to do it
i had a the same problem with the land cruiser and the sedan,
1- this happens when there is crack in the air intake, from the end it might be OK and sealed well.the engine was taking in more air than what was read by the sensor.
2-The main causes that make the engine jerking during acceleration could be low supply of fuel to the combustion chamber.it is due to a choked fuel filter.
3-The wire kit for spark plugs need replacing. engine could be miss firing.

the issue that i was having is only number 1. i was changing the air intake filter when i think i bent the hose a little too much i think, but the problem was resolved for $20 dollars.

i wich i could be more helpfull

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well,

I took my truck to the dealer tonight and had the chance to take their drivability tech for a ride in the truck. He witnessed the backfire issue first hand and exclaimed, THAT IS THE MAF. I told him I didnt think it would be the MAF because under light to normal driving conditions there wasnt any sign of a problem. Well they had a new MAF sensor in stock and immediatly replaced it while I waited. I heard the tech take the truck out and get on it and it still did the same thing.

He came back pulled the new MAF out and checked the old MAF with throughput voltage and resistance, found that the MAF is in fact good. So the upside is GOOD MAF, down side.................its something else and hes not sure what. So my baby has a new home tonight and that is not good. I hope to know more tomorrow. :domohit:

·
Registered
224 Posts
I had a similar problem on an older vehicle when oil leaked into some of my spark plug housings, causing misfires...you been driving it really hard?

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Guys,

I appreciate the sympathy. I am hoping I will get her back soon. I will let you know the outcome. I am really bummed at this point. I am hoping that its nothing major.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts