Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone hade any trouble or know of anyone else theat has had this problem. i work for nissan and i am fixn to put in my third v8 in the 10 months ive been there. my truck included. what i have found to be the probable cause is the converters comming apart and back feeding thew the exhaust valves thus pollishin the cylinder walls and wipping out the oil ring causing the engine to start using oil. i noticed that my truck had started using oil. so i changed the oil and caught what i could and there was only three qrts in it. new oil filter and 7 qrts and watched oil concumption. in 2,200 on that oil chang it was off the stick. i pulled the plugs and checke compretion and it was all out. 7 cylinders had 175 and one had 125, the minimume is 192!! when i was changing the motor i found that the drivers converter was completly gone. warrenty paid for my new motor and both converters and i was glad of that. not trying to scar anybody but was wondering if that has happend outside of oklahoma. the first truck i did had 64k on it and it was toed in. mine had 63k on i and was running great. the third one was limped in and is running terable. going to put that one in this wednsday. thanks for listning.:rockon with those bad trucks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts
I have heard of the cats failing and breaking apart and flowing back into the motor I haven't heard of alot of motor failures but I guess there are quite a few around. Hmmmm............. any mods done to the trucks to alter the AFR for a lean or rich condition to heat up the cats and cause a failure?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,786 Posts
actually my 04 had a blown engine mechanics couldnt really figure out why but this does sound logical.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,278 Posts
srvTITAN said:
has anyone hade any trouble or know of anyone else theat has had this problem. i work for nissan and i am fixn to put in my third v8 in the 10 months ive been there. my truck included. what i have found to be the probable cause is the converters comming apart and back feeding thew the exhaust valves thus pollishin the cylinder walls and wipping out the oil ring causing the engine to start using oil. i noticed that my truck had started using oil. so i changed the oil and caught what i could and there was only three qrts in it. new oil filter and 7 qrts and watched oil concumption. in 2,200 on that oil chang it was off the stick. i pulled the plugs and checke compretion and it was all out. 7 cylinders had 175 and one had 125, the minimume is 192!! when i was changing the motor i found that the drivers converter was completly gone. warrenty paid for my new motor and both converters and i was glad of that. not trying to scar anybody but was wondering if that has happend outside of oklahoma. the first truck i did had 64k on it and it was toed in. mine had 63k on i and was running great. the third one was limped in and is running terable. going to put that one in this wednsday. thanks for listning.:rockon with those bad trucks.
I wouldn't trust the stock converters as far as I could throw them but the incidence of cat failure seems to be fairly low. Thanks for the heads up and please keep us informed of your future findings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
what can I do to blow up my motor? I still have powertrain warr. and wouldnt mind a new engine !
I have 37k on my 2005, and am wondering if i should change the tranny fluid and the diff fluid now.
any one know ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
268 Posts
I just had the engine replaced in my 02 Altima and unfortunately my truck is next, all because of the cat's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
whats the advantage of the 2* advance and what is the drawback if any you have experienced?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
440 Posts
I experienced the same type of engine failure in a 1991 Ford Taurus SHO. I was told that the thermostat failed causing the engine to super heat the catylaltic converts, thereby causing the internals to break up. The particles were vacuumed back into only three of the six cylinders that were scared excessively causing high oil consumption and low performance power.

I was always curious how prevalent this type of engine failure in other vehicles? Should manufacturers provide compensation for those who had to replace engines outside of the warranty period because of what may be a design flaw?

How many of these failures have to occur before manufacturers are required to do something to prevent them such as redesigning exhaust or at least the catalytic converter locations.

Well, I just moved on to the prevention mode by going with aftermarket exhaust system route on all and any future automobile purchases.

I suggest someone with the know-how should start a thread (like the one on brake system and differential failures), but just to track exhaust system failures.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
srvTITAN said:
what i have found to be the probable cause is the converters comming apart and back feeding thew the exhaust valves thus pollishin the cylinder walls and wipping out the oil ring causing the engine to start using oil.
Do you think that the catalyst is being pulled through the EGR system and getting into the the cylinders that way? That is a reasonably common problem with many vehicles that use a honeycomb type matrix in the cats.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,518 Posts
cat failures are some what common I have a long block from one that died on a Qx56 so it's just not the Nissan lineup.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,237 Posts
RB's Titan said:
cat failures are some what common I have a long block from one that died on a Qx56 so it's just not the Nissan lineup.
RB is that a joke??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,518 Posts
Fox Delta said:
RB is that a joke??
No joke. I have personally seen 3 VK56 engines that have died this year at two dealerships here in town. I also have a long block from a weak motor pulled from QX56.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,237 Posts
WOW!! that's a shame - are all of the engines (long blocks) assembled on basically the same production line? it's just the bolt-on stuff that makes the difference between an Infinity, Titan, and Armada correct?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,518 Posts
Fox Delta said:
WOW!! that's a shame - are all of the engines (long blocks) assembled on basically the same production line? it's just the bolt-on stuff that makes the difference between an Infinity, Titan, and Armada correct?
I think so.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
.. And now the V8 Pathfinder, I believe. (At least, that's what I thought when I saw the 5.6L V8 on the window sticker of my new truck.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
yes the vk56 is available in the pathfinder. i have drove one before and they run great and we hade one come in yesterday. there is no differance in the 5.6 in the titan, armada and qx56. all same components. just have a different badge on them. i also have a long block in my shop. and fixing to have another this week.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
268 Posts
Mine were horrible MPG, 4 qts. of oil after 600 miles of driving, and honeycomb chunks in my driveway and Flowmaster. Really sounds great when idling and it's rattling around in there!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,518 Posts
my06titan said:
do you guys know the symptoms of a bad catalyc converter?
MIne was a sudden drop in mpg 14 to 10 city and that was right after I had the dealer clean the injectors (1 week). Right after the poor mpg I had for one week and then SES light. Cat failure. Engine was not hurt according to tech. Still driving today but I got all new aftermarket cats now and further down stream.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
"MIne was a sudden drop in mpg 14 to 10 city and that was right after I had the dealer clean the injectors (1 week). Right after the poor mpg I had for one week and then SES light. Cat failure. Engine was not hurt according to tech. Still driving today but I got all new aftermarket cats now and further down stream."


Do you know what injector cleaning process they used? I've heard of some cleaners that could damage cats.

I just changed out a VK in an 04 titan for a used car lot. The original owner had an AEM intake, aftermarket o2 sensors with spliced in, and after market headers i was suspecting the headers of being the most likely cause. This adds up with the cats coming apart.

Anything available as far as rebuild kits goes. I was thinking this would make a sweet power plant in my rock crawler project.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top