Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well with gas prices still rather high, I made the switch over to E85. It is running about 30 cents cheaper than regular unleaded. I know everyones biggest gripe is that your gas mileage goes down by about 30% but after three tankful's I have not seen any significant decrease in gas mileage. But then again, I do keep it at or below 65 on the freeway and keep the jackrabbit starts to a bare minimum.
Since it does contain more ethanol than gas, I do notice on colder mornings, my truck takes a little longer to start. My wife noticed the exhaust smelled different and not the regular exhaust normally associated with gasoline. Anyone else care to share their experiences with E85?

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
SATXTitanXE said:
Well with gas prices still rather high, I made the switch over to E85. It is running about 30 cents cheaper than regular unleaded. I know everyones biggest gripe is that your gas mileage goes down by about 30% but after three tankful's I have not seen any significant decrease in gas mileage. But then again, I do keep it at or below 65 on the freeway and keep the jackrabbit starts to a bare minimum.
Since it does contain more ethanol than gas, I do notice on colder mornings, my truck takes a little longer to start. My wife noticed the exhaust smelled different and not the regular exhaust normally associated with gasoline. Anyone else care to share their experiences with E85?
$0.30 less cost over gasoline means that you are paying more to run your truck. The price of E85 will need to be about 20% less than gasoline to break even. This is because of the mileage hit with E85. There are tons of threads on this topic.

I would use caution burning E85 in colder weather as ethanol absorbs water, and colder weather seems to be more of a problem with tank condensation. Also, in colder climates, engines will not start as well with E85. In some areas, E85 is blended to E70, meaning 70% ethanol vs 85% for better cold weather performance.

Bottom line is that if you want to save money of fueling your truck, at $3.00/gallon for gas, E85 will need to cost $2.40 for equal mileage. Personally, I think you are wasting money burning E85 right now. At $0.30 less per gallon, you are actually paying almost $10.00 more per tank at today's prices for equal mileage.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts