Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my T I've got a few parts that could use a little cosmetics. Of course the door handles are a little chipped, as well as the door panel pull plastic finishers, and the console.

So I'm thinking I might like to pull these parts and have them professionally sprayed. Now, I've never had any plastic parts painted. So I guess a couple of questions:

1. What kind of cost might I be looking at to have these three things painted - console, door handle, pull plastic finishers?

2. How close will the color match be? The handles and finisher already appear to be painted, I'm not sure about the console. Is there a paint code for plastic interior parts for a 2004 Graphite Titan?

3. How well can I expect painted parts to hold up?

4. Is it worth it to try it myself if I don't find anyone local that wants to do it?

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
On my T I've got a few parts that could use a little cosmetics. Of course the door handles are a little chipped, as well as the door panel pull plastic finishers, and the console.

So I'm thinking I might like to pull these parts and have them professionally sprayed. Now, I've never had any plastic parts painted. So I guess a couple of questions:$

1. What kind of cost might I be looking at to have these three things painted - console, door handle, pull plastic finishers?
You're looking at spending at least $150+ to get those parts professionally painted. You seem to be rather nitpicky like me, so the cost will only go up the pickier you are.

2. How close will the color match be? The handles and finisher already appear to be painted, I'm not sure about the console. Is there a paint code for plastic interior parts for a 2004 Graphite Titan?
It's not going to be exact unless they color match to the OEM finish. I don't think Nissan offers a paint code on interior parts. They don't on the factory wheels and center caps. Ask me how I know this... Some manufacturers do have paint codes for interior parts. I know GM does...

3. How well can I expect painted parts to hold up?
Not as well as the factory paint if they short cut the prep work. In my experience, it's really hard to find a shop that does good quality work on small items like that. The top notch shops like to make BIG $$$ in paint/bodywork/restorations and insurance work. They usually don't like doing small nickle and dime work. I've had a few shops actually tell me outright that they weren't interested in doing paint work on small items that I've brought in. This forces you to use the hack shops that will take your money and paint them, but their workmanship usually stinks.

4. Is it worth it to try it myself if I don't find anyone local that wants to do it?
If you're good at prep work, try painting them yourself. The worse thing that can happen is you'll have to redo them again if something goes wrong. If you have them professionally done and are not satisfied with the results, you're out even more money and your time.

Parts like the door finishers and the chipped door handles, it's probably better just to get new ones. The console is the same. Just get new ones and be done with it. If you were painting them a custom color or something, then I can see going through the hassle of painting them yourself or having them professionally done. However, at least with new parts, the color match will be perfect if you want the OEM finish.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Mike, thanks for the info. I kind of figured it was like that, which is why I haven't bothered as of yet. I think I'll probably go the route of just replacing parts little by little rather than going the painting route, maybe with the exception of the console, which I think could stand to be darker anyway.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts