Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would love to be able to use my fog lights as DTR lights...but the only real practical way to do this would be to use them with parking lights. Anyone try this yet?

·
Registered
25 Posts
newenglandtitan said:
I would love to be able to use my fog lights as DTR lights...but the only real practical way to do this would be to use them with parking lights. Anyone try this yet?
Don't know if you've seen any of my posts re; fog lights but I too have considered hooking some up to the parking lights, one drawback, they will always be on, when your lights are on. A friend told me about another option, and that was to hook them up to the brights. I realize this wouldn't help as a dtr light, but he said he'd done that on several vehicles and it looked nice. I still am trying to find out where to get the plugs to wire the fogs into the line somehow. Let me know if you do wire yours into the parking lights, and how it works, Thanks.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Ya, there's so much computer controlled stuff that it may be best to just re-wire them completley...

The reason you don't want fogs with brights should be obvious. :) If it's foggy, your brights make things worse. But I do wish you could control them on their own as well..

·
Registered
139 Posts
Well, it should not be too,too difficult. Since I don't have my Titan yet I can't give you exact instructions- but this is how I would do it... here goes.

I would want to have the option of turning on/off the fogs to work as daytime lights AND using the regular stalk switch on the steering col.

Easiest thing would be to get a wiring harness for fog/driving lights. Visit the Hella web site or a dealer site, you can buy a complete harness +relay+ switch setup for not too much $$$.

The harness will have 12V battery lead, 2 pairs for the lights (splice into fog wires), Ground, Relay 12V and switch pair. That's all straight forward.

The key would be WHERE you tap in the 12V relay line. Maybe in the fuse panel under hood or dash. You have to find a tap point that will energize the relay when you turn the ignition ON. Something non exotic like wipers etc. (don't hook it to your ABS or computer)

The power needed to throw the relay is very small < 1/2 amp.

The switch can be left under the hood, under the dash or you could get another Nissan switch and use one of the switch blanks on the dash.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
newenglandtitan said:
In looking at the service manual, I was wondering if you might convert it to Canada style DTR just by adding a relay under the hood.

·
Registered
514 Posts
bestatchess said:
In looking at the service manual, I was wondering if you might convert it to Canada style DTR just by adding a relay under the hood.
Doesn't that just use the headlights as DTRs? Or is it the foglights?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Its Much More Simple Than That. Look At The Fuse Box Where The The Fuse Is For The Fog Lights.third Wire Bypass To The Parking Lights Will Give You The Fog Lights On With The Parking Lights.simple, Ive Done It A Few Times.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
a little more explanation please

giddyup, can you explain the 3rd wire by-pass concept?

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
giddyup said:
Its Much More Simple Than That. Look At The Fuse Box Where The The Fuse Is For The Fog Lights.third Wire Bypass To The Parking Lights Will Give You The Fog Lights On With The Parking Lights.simple, Ive Done It A Few Times.
Exactly what are you proposing? My understanding is that the fog and parking lights are each operated by (1) a microprocessor which, in response to proper positioning of the stalk switches (2) closes a corresponding relay (fog or parking) which (3) closes a circuit to send power through the corresponding fuse (fog or parking). If you jump the leads for the fog and parking relays, won't that turn on the parking lights anytime the fogs are on and vice versa? If you jump the power lead from the fog fuse to the parking fuse, won't that just blow the fuse?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts