Nissan Titan Forum banner

Anyone gone with an aftermarket rear end?

12K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Kronos1965 
#1 ·
With all the failures that are reported, I am wondering if anyone has actually moved up to an aftermarket rear end. Seems to me a saw a thread that talked about one available for the titan. I am on my third Titan. Never had any trouble out of the first two. This third one has a 9in lift on it. I talked to the guy that had originally put the lift on it and he said that the rear end did go out on him once and Nissan replaced it but told him if it happens again, he is on his own. It's not making any noise or anything (it's an 05 by the way) but I have to admit I am a little worried about it. I am thinking I may take a proactive approach to it and put a stronger rear end in it. Anyone done it? Pros? Cons? Brand? Any other thoughts?

#2 ·
If I were in your shoes Id take a real hard look at the Truetrac from Detroit locker. I have one in my truck and I did the mod as a preventive measure and to save on buying new tires all the time. :D I haven't had any problems sense and I have also done the axle vent mod as another preventive measure on the axle seals.

#5 ·
600 for install?!? what's so fancy that makes these that much more to install than regular gears or detroits? Most shops around here would do that for in the $200 - 300 at the most range (gears and detroits that is). I'm talking about good 4x4 shops too, not dealerships.

#6 ·
If you are wanting a new rear, with your choice of gears.......

www.dynatrac.com

Oh, and just FYI, they're not cheap!!!

#7 ·
Truetrac installs run between 250-400. I paid 400, was quoted 480 in my area. Never heard anybody paying more than 400. It is the solution most people use for the Titan.

If you a hardcore off roader, then see post above, it'll run something like 4K IIRC.

#8 ·
Thanks for the info. It doesn't seem to me that it would be sensible to replace the rear end with the chitty stock one if it does go. This is good info. Is the general educated consensus that these aftermarket rear ends should hold up without issue? I mean, has anyone every put one in and had it fail?

Also, where do you get the rear ends at?

#9 ·
I just went to the link provided for the dynatrac and they don't show any product for the Titan.

I don't really do a lot of off roading. The truck is more for show with the ability to go off road if needed..which I very well may do some time.

I can only imagine that pushing the 37in tires puts some strain on the rear end which in the titan could be all that is needed to get the rear end to go out on it. The guy I bought it from said the rear end did go out on it once. Been fine since it was replaced but you never know with these things. Just thinking ahead.

#11 ·
www.summitracing.com carries the tru-trac.

I have only heard of one so far, that was on a Titan that failed.
He did alot of off-road!!!

#13 ·
I don't think he wants to have to deal with making one work. I think cerino is looking for a straight up bolt in, no hassle rear end.

Any decent 4x4 shop should be able to swap a 9" in without much issue. You can get them pretty cheap and build it however you want. Like the others said, they are stout and stuff is widely available for them if you find the need to upgrade something.

#14 ·
jasonb said:
I don't think he wants to have to deal with making one work. I think cerino is looking for a straight up bolt in, no hassle rear end.

Any decent 4x4 shop should be able to swap a 9" in without much issue. You can get them pretty cheap and build it however you want. Like the others said, they are stout and stuff is widely available for them if you find the need to upgrade something.
yes, I am looking for a simple bolt in.

How are things like the locking differential button handled when you change rear ends?

#15 ·
cerino, Dynatrac will custom make one for you.

They have made some for Titans in the past.

I think the Dana 44 and 60 will fit, it's just a matter of welding on the mounts.

I would call and ask.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.