Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new 5X12 pull trailer yesterday. This seems like a really good quality trailer, but on the way home with it I noticed how noisy it was. I have never towed anything before, so I don't know how much noise is considered to be normal.

What can I do to quiet this thing up a little? The fold up ramp bangs against the trailer when it is in the upright position. I put a red circle on the photo to show the area I'm talking about. Can I put foam or a rubber bushing there or something??

Also the dealer said the trailer is off-road ready as far as suspension and wheels go. It sure bounces over speed bumps even at low speed. Am I over reacting? Are all trailers noisy?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
One of my buddies had a lawn mowing business and this is the type of trailer he started out with. He used bungies to tighten it against the rails and later we installed a solenoid and arm to automatically close it.

But yeah, he put about 2" of rubber on the end of the trailer to stop the "banging".

·
Super Moderator
162,263 Posts
Part of the bumpiness is probably because you didn't have it loaded up either. With weight on it, that will help. They do bounce around a lot when empty.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I own a very similar trailer & I've towed 5 other trailers like that. They are all noisy...especially when empty. They also bounce like crazy when there is no weight on it. Once you load it up, it will trailer nicely. As for the noisy gate...ratchet straps work well, but it doesn't hurt to let them bounce a little. Having weight on the trailer will also help with the noise, because the trailer won't be bouncing around as much.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replys. I put some rubber between the gate and the frame I think it will help. I plan to use my tie downs to take the slop out of the gate also.
We are going riding Friday morning, so I will have a quad and a bike on the trailer. I guess I'll see the difference with the weight on it.

I'll post some pics of the trip. Thanks.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
You guys were right. The trailer handles great and is MUCH quieter when it is loaded up. We had a great time. Here are a few pics.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts