Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Debating about installing a forward and possibly rear camera for recording.
Anyone do this and hook into the rear view mirror for power? If so, what adapter did you use?
For a rear view camera, where did you run the wire? The seams on an 04 Titan doesn't seem to allow for it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I installed a cheapo ebay camera on my rear license plate. Spliced the power wires from my tail light bulb wires. Fed the signal wire from the back of the truck to the front interior of the truck by drilling into a rubber grommet that is somewhere on the floor of the cab (I'll have to look where exactly this grommet is). Then offcourse the video signal cable went into my HeadUnit. Camera is powered and functional whenever I turn the lights to DRL mode or Headlight mode.

·
Premium Member
19,407 Posts
The problem with getting power from the rear view mirror is that when the ignition is off, you have no power to your camera. My Thinkware F800Pro (dual channel) knows that the ignition is off, so it monitors the battery voltage. Once the voltage dips to a (configurable) point, the camera shuts off. Otherwise, the camera goes into an as-needed mode. It isn't recording all the time, just when it detects something to record.

I tapped into always-on power and ignition power for my dashcam.

·
Registered
33 Posts
For the rear.. I bought the Hopkins #40955 adapter. The Hopkins adapter will plug into the Titan's 7 pin harness on the back of the factory plug and remove the old 7 pin plug. Mount it on the bumper using the titan factory bracket for the old plug. I tapped into the reverse wire on the Hopkin's adapter for the camera power. That way i did not mess with the factory harness.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
I don't have a rear facing camera other than my reverse camera, but I tapped into an IGN fuse for my front dash camera. For a rear, there are 2 grommets in the back of the cab on each side down low that are covered. I ran my backup camera through the passenger side, and my airbags are running through the driver side. Still plenty of room for more wires.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies.
When I mentioned "rear" it pertained to the rear window.
Not like a backup camera but essentially for recording both front and back.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I think he's talking about a dash camera with a rear channel also.

HRTKD replied that he has the F800 Pro, and I'm fixing install the Viofo A129 Pro Duo.

Best thing for dash cams, do the extra work and run it down to the fuse box. Like HRTKD mentioned, MOST hardwire kits will have a monitor based system that will not draw power below a pre set battery level........11.7V, 12.3V, etc.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Will a camera even get decent quality with the window tint on the rear windows? Mine from the factory is pretty dark. Running wires to the back of the cab is easy. Just pop up the kick plate trim pieces and run it under there with all the other wires.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Will a camera even get decent quality with the window tint on the rear windows? Mine from the factory is pretty dark. Running wires to the back of the cab is easy. Just pop up the kick plate trim pieces and run it under there with all the other wires.
Yes, tint will affect the view. If you're running 5% or below.....yeah, you probably not going to pick up anything on that camera. LOL.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts