Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i am thinking of installing the daystar leveling kit on my titan has anyone did this or know someone who has. expierences, dos or donts. thanks:alfdance:

·
Registered
80 Posts
I installed the Daystar kit today. Yield was 2 1/4", easy to install and no hitches at all. I used better bolts than they supplied but the kit is complete. Trouble with getting alignment specs from Nissan and Hunter did not have them either. The inner fender shields now need some additional coverage but nothing that an hour of creativity won't fix. Truck rides the same, looks great. I painted the bumper to match the truck color (canteen) and the look of the truck is much nicer for my tastes. My truck is a 2WD Crew, big tow, bed utility, off road package, RF and the DVD. Getting better all the time.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks skip,

i have a couple questions you say the inner fender needs more coverage what does that mean? did you get the alignment done or are we up the creek? how does the spacers work? do you need a spring compressor for that. where did you get yours and how much was it? how long was the install? thanks skip

·
Registered
80 Posts
When you lift the front of the truck, the plastic inner fender shields come along for the ride, exposing the exhaust manifolds and creating some gaps, I will create some new rubber protectors and cover the gaps from inside to keep water and mud out. The install takes about 3 hours and yes, you need a good spring compressor. Yes, I had the truck aligned, the toe changed a bit and it was pretty easy. Cost for the kit is $120. Alignment was $50. My labor was free. The spacers are two different pieces, one is a new spring seat for the upper end of the spring and the other is a spacer that you install on top of the assy. In theory this will change the pre-load of the spring but I don't notice any ride quality difference.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks skip where did you finally get the alignment specs. does the inner fender pose a problem can you tell? i am wanting to get this kit it seems the titan is really lower in the front and when your appling brakes it seems to me that im sliding out of my seat. i also think it will look much better with the lift. hopefully this will help level it up. so no ride difference. were the direction good. sorry for all the questios and THANKS a lot. john any pics

·
Registered
82 Posts
You may want to keep an eye on the front cv boot for leaks later on. Daystar had the same setup for the tundra and many owners had grease flinging from the cv boots. Not right away but later on. I had them on mine too and has since taken them off. Just a FWIW.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Skip, let's see some pic's. I would love to see what you've done since you have the same color.

Karl

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey ric. why would this affect the cv joints 2 inches will hardly put anything in a bind. do you know something we dont????

·
Registered
80 Posts
I will take some pics this weekend and post them. My truck is a 2WD so I don't have any worries about CV issues. I am sure that on the 4WD applications the increased angle would cause faster wear on the boots so thanks for the heads up to all those 4X guys. I moved from Colorado to Cali about 5 years ago and my 4X through the muck and snow days are long behind me. The desert is where I use the truck the most and can't see a 4X for the limited times I might use it, I just don't need it anymore. Had many GMC 3/4 tons with 4 wheel drive and this Titan really makes driving a truck FUN again.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Daystar supplies two spacers, in order from bottom up, you have-coil, bottom spacer, stock plate, top spacer. The bottom spacer preloads your coil, the top spacer extends(pushes) your strut down aprox the amount of the spacer thickness. This causes the same effect like the suspension extending downward. In normal driving, the suspension travels up and down but returns to its normal place which the cv axle/boot is stright. With the spacers, the suspension stay extended and the cv boot angles. When it angles it is sort of tightens the pressure inside the boot. May not look like it on the outside but it does to a degree. You will see the noticable angle with the cpacers. Over time it will leak grease. Those high angle spiral aftermaket cv boot that supposed to work better, well didn't last as long as the stock one. But who knows, maybe nissan used better cv boots then toyota.

I'm not saying don't buy it, it's your choice. I loved the way mine rode with the spacers but wasn't worth it in the long run. I had it on for 12k miles. Mine started to leak after 5k miles of use.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm also anxious to see the daystar kit on a Titan. I test drove the truck and love it. I just wish they sit a little higher. If anyone has installed the kit, I'd like to see some pics and hear how it rides. Thanks.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have also seen a 1 inch leveling kit for the titan. Would this have less of an effect on these cv boots then a 2.5 inch leveling kit? If anybody has updated news on these kits and the effects on the truck please post!

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Skip Hess said:
I installed the Daystar kit today. Yield was 2 1/4", easy to install and no hitches at all. I used better bolts than they supplied but the kit is complete. Trouble with getting alignment specs from Nissan and Hunter did not have them either. The inner fender shields now need some additional coverage but nothing that an hour of creativity won't fix. Truck rides the same, looks great. I painted the bumper to match the truck color (canteen) and the look of the truck is much nicer for my tastes. My truck is a 2WD Crew, big tow, bed utility, off road package, RF and the DVD. Getting better all the time.
You said here you used better bolts... What kind and what size did Please help as I installed mine and now have a slight rattle in the front end. Sounds like a blown strut but it isnt. So I narrowed it down to the bolts up top of the assy. I think they are too small, they are 3/8. So I think there is some play in the holes and its rattling. So please help me with the sizes and any tips.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
That thread did not answer my question. SkipHess said he upgraded his bolts. I want to know what he upgraded to. That other guy has no info as he didnt do the install himself.

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
skip, where are you? i too would like to know the exact specs of the upgraded bolts you used as i am having the daystar kits installed in the next few days!!! please help!!!

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I got them last night. They are metric, so they have no grade. Metric has "class". The equivilent of the grade 8 bolt in metric sizes is Class 10.9
I got Class 10.9 30mm long hex head bolts from the local Autozone. I also got Class 10 nuts with the flange like the oem ones. I think my rattling is because I used 3/8 bolts and there is a bit of play in the holes. Also I think the top plate bushing wasn't set and the metal sleeve is hitting the top of the spring isolator plate. So I'll try to fix that tomorrow. it's still raining here so I cant do anything yet. it has been raining since Monday morning and its Friday now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i installed the 2 1/2 daystar on 2007 titan, i just found out that they wear out after a few years, since they are not solid metal material, after installing them, if you hit a speed bump a bit to hard, the front end cross member will hit the front frame if you go to fast over it. other than that truck looks great

1 - 20 of 24 Posts