1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
Wow! Glad to see we're getting some support on the aftermarket bandwagon! No offense to the current suppliers, but competition is good and can bring the price down so more can enjoy the fun! I expect those numbers are probably flywheel HP & TQ since they're comparing them to the stock flywheel numbers.

·
Registered
9,480 Posts
Anyone else notice the disclaimer at the bottom?

NOTE: Testing on these vehicles has resulted in Catalytic converter failure when vehicle is repeatedly accelerated and decelerated in a short period of time.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Kenny Blankenship said:
Anyone else notice the disclaimer at the bottom?
That happens with driving N/A! It's better if you have High-Flow CATs. These CATs will break up even if you are driving a STOCK vehicle.

I would like to see someone throw it on their vehicle to see how it performs.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Blackbeauty said:
Wow! Glad to see we're getting some support on the aftermarket bandwagon! No offense to the current suppliers, but competition is good and can bring the price down so more can enjoy the fun! I expect those numbers are probably flywheel HP & TQ?
Actually at 8psi I would hope that would be at the wheels I know that they list the factory flywheel power next to it, but as far as I know they do all the testing on the dyno after they install the kit on a vehicle, I know that the stillen kit can make around 420 rwhp probably at 5-7 psi someone correct me if Im wrong about the boost pressure on the Stillen. The advantage stillen has is instant low end boost with its roots blower although roots run alot hotter. Typically centrifugals run alot cooler allowing you to use a little more boost pressure but they have to spool up and usually only peak at the top end. If it only made 420 flywheel horsepower at 8psi I wouldn't be impressed. It has to be to the wheels.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Fightin' Titan said:
Actually at 8psi I would hope that would be at the wheels I know that they list the factory flywheel power next to it, but as far as I know they do all the testing on the dyno after they install the kit on a vehicle, I know that the stillen kit can make around 420 rwhp probably at 5-7 psi someone correct me if Im wrong about the boost pressure on the Stillen. The advantage stillen has is instant low end boost with its roots blower although roots run alot hotter. Typically centrifugals run alot cooler allowing you to use a little more boost pressure but they have to spool up and usually only peak at the top end. If it only made 420 flywheel horsepower at 8psi I wouldn't be impressed.
Well, Stillens has also blown 3 engines too. :) Stillen runs 6lbs of boost.

I may think of getting this because it will help in higher RPM (WHERE WE NEED IT), and it will also save our tranny life.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
like others have said i'd love to see someone use one but if i go forced induction im building my motor and tranny first i don't wanna go down the same path as others, i cant afford to have a blown tranny or motor..

·
Registered
85 Posts
Why is this system not listed of Vortecs website?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
i started a thread on the other site about this. i believe it is 420 @ the crank. Which should be safer seeing how the stillen blower is a bit too much at too low an rpm. Vortech told me after talking to other aftermarket companies that they strongly recromend headers with highflow or no cats further from the engine. They never blew apart and cats but know the danger. they seem to fail from the excessive heat
if you search titles "new s/c on the block" you can see some more info people posted. i really want someone to try it first lol. really wish it wasnt piggyback controlled.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
aint no piggy going onto my truck,lol they mustve tuned it super cnservative to only be 425hp at crank, i dont see how 8psi only putting out those numbers, i think they got that wrong,lol 8 psi should = 485hp 500ish tq imo

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
It says next to every one of their kits on the vortech website.

"Please Note:
*Supercharged horsepower and torque data shown is a calculated estimate based on percentage increases from actual rear wheel hp/tq measurements. "

they display the factory flywheel ratings and then the force induced rear wheel ratings after
So I'm pretty sure it's at the wheels.

I helped my buddy install a procharger (centrifugal) on his '02 Z06 it went from "405 flywheel hp" to 540 rwhp at 6psi so it makes sense to me.

If it both #'s were flywheel power being (300 fly to 420 fly) it would be a 29 percent hp gain at 8 psi it just wouldn't add up.

Check out prochargers site and look at all their trucks run 8-9 psi they make a 60-65% power gain with a centrifugal thats very similar to vortechs head unit.

Lets just say the stock titan makes 265 rwhp a 60% power gain would bring you to (260X1.60) = 424rwhp

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
thier product is good, their tuning is junk (from experience). this is kind of funny, this is the zo6 they did. notice the times listed at the bottom, before and after. Although they claim over 100hp gain, the time increase is weak for the amount of $$$ it cost. someone get it, throw that piggyback in the trash, and have uprev take a crack at it.
http://www.motortrend.com/features/performance/112_0706_2007_vortech_corvette_z06/

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Leadsled124 said:
thier product is good, their tuning is junk (from experience). this is kind of funny, this is the zo6 they did. notice the times listed at the bottom, before and after. Although they claim over 100hp gain, the time increase is weak for the amount of $$$ it cost. someone get it, throw that piggyback in the trash, and have uprev take a crack at it.
http://www.motortrend.com/features/performance/112_0706_2007_vortech_corvette_z06/
I read that the LS7 is not the best motor to use forced induction because of its tight tolerances. One would be better off building a blown motor off the LS2 platform. A & A corvette used to use ATI Procharger head units exclusively in there custom kits but now have switched to vortech do to ATI's terrible customer service and found that Vortechs were even better when they did custom dyno tunes. As far as the small difference in time with the Z06 in the article you mentioned, read the 4th and 5th paragraph about the "laughable amount of tire spin" due to stock tires. When my buddy and I did an ATI on his C5 Z06 he would easily spin the tires up to 80 mph, 1st thru 3rd were useless. Even after he got a good set of rubber under the car he would still spin through first and second, which is the difference in that test car you mentioned.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Fightin' Titan said:
I read that the LS7 is not the best motor to use forced induction because of its tight tolerances. One would be better off building a blown motor off the LS2 platform. A & A corvette used to use ATI Procharger head units exclusively in there custom kits but now have switched to vortech do to ATI's terrible customer service and found that Vortechs were even better when they did custom dyno tunes. As far as the small difference in time with the Z06 in the article you mentioned, read the 4th and 5th paragraph about the "laughable amount of tire spin" due to stock tires. When my buddy and I did an ATI on his C5 Z06 he would easily spin the tires up to 80 mph, 1st thru 3rd were useless. Even after he got a good set of rubber under the car he would still spin through first and second, which is the difference in that test car you mentioned.
sorry didnt read that part. i saw this on tv a while back and looked it up

My buddy works A&A corvette in oxnard or camarillo i think. he said they had a 900hp one in there when i talked to him lol

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Leadsled124 said:
sorry didnt read that part. i saw this on tv a while back and looked it up

My buddy works A&A corvette in oxnard or camarillo i think. he said they had a 900hp one in there when i talked to him lol
Yes they do it's red with flames and I have a video of it on the dyno from their BBQ its insane! They do great work there.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Back to the Titan I would love to get one of these kits to try it out but Im a couple grand shy of it. So if anyone wants to give me . . I donno say 2 g's Ill try it out for everyone hahaha :lol:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts