Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know most people lift 4x4's but it's very popular in the Phoenix/Scottsdale, AZ area to put large, low profile tires on trucks and SUV's. The local dealers have them on 2wd models but not any on 4x4's yet. Just curious if anyone has had any experience and if there are any problems or advantages other than the obvious very cool look they provide. Also, anyone got a cost estimate for these type of wheels & tires??? Thanks a bunch..

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
BigSkyLLC said:
I know most people lift 4x4's but it's very popular in the Phoenix/Scottsdale, AZ area to put large, low profile tires on trucks and SUV's. The local dealers have them on 2wd models but not any on 4x4's yet. Just curious if anyone has had any experience and if there are any problems or advantages other than the obvious very cool look they provide. Also, anyone got a cost estimate for these type of wheels & tires??? Thanks a bunch..
i put 20s on mine 275/60/20 reason being if i need to travel offroad these tires will provide some protection for the rims and they also ride decent. i paid 1600 for wheels and tires, mounted and balanced. i have a 4x4 cc

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
BigSkyLLC said:
Excellent point ont the extra protection. Do you have any pic's?
not yet with wheels but i am working on that its been snowing here and i am lazy, sorry :crying:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I posted a pic of my Red CC SE 4x4 with 275/60/20 on it. It is in the picture post area somewhere.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Exodike said:
I posted a pic of my Red CC SE 4x4 with 275/60/20 on it. It is in the picture post area somewhere.

Looks really nice. I'm definetly going to do 20's just haven't decided if they'll be 305/50/20 or 275/60/20.

Thanks a lot for the pic.

·
Registered
473 Posts
When deciding on the tire size, you should take into consideration the cost of having the speed sensor reset.

to get the same or nearly so speedo, use this formula:

Height =

Width/25mm : This converts everything to inches easier to understand :)
previous/aspect ratio: this is the second # = sidewall height
Sidewall+sidewall+rim = tire height

If you change the height by 1 inch this averages 2.5 mph which also adds lots of miles to your odometer and depreciates your vehicle faster.

Hope this info helps with your decision. I used to work in the tire industry.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Doghouse said:
When deciding on the tire size, you should take into consideration the cost of having the speed sensor reset.

to get the same or nearly so speedo, use this formula:

Height =

Width/25mm : This converts everything to inches easier to understand :)
previous/aspect ratio: this is the second # = sidewall height
Sidewall+sidewall+rim = tire height

If you change the height by 1 inch this averages 2.5 mph which also adds lots of miles to your odometer and depreciates your vehicle faster.

Hope this info helps with your decision. I used to work in the tire industry.
Very good info. Any idea how much it cost to have speedo reset? I'm assuming the dealer or a speacialty shop can do that.
Thanks.

·
Registered
473 Posts
It usually requires the ECM be reprogrammed. Sometimes there is a plug into the control and it can be recalibrate from there. Another thing to consider is the the ABLS, ABS, VDC and ABSS all use this sensor as well as Axel sensors to control the breaking of the vehicle.

I do not know if there is currently any aftermarket dealers with the equipment for such a new vehicle. It may be dealer only at this point. If you can find a dealer that understands what you need to have done.

For every tire there are plenty of alternate sizes, you just want to make sure your height is as close to exactly the same as possible.

·
Registered
123 Posts
if you get 22's the size thats equal to stock is the 205/45's. i didn't notice a different in ride quality and have taken it to the dump and alittle off road and they were fine but if your doing real off roading then i don't think the 20's would be a good idea either. oh, and make sure your rims are able to take the stock tire sensors.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
piopremier said:
if you get 22's the size thats equal to stock is the 205/45's. i didn't notice a different in ride quality and have taken it to the dump and alittle off road and they were fine but if your doing real off roading then i don't think the 20's would be a good idea either. oh, and make sure your rims are able to take the stock tire sensors.
Do you mean 305's? And, what are the "stock tire sensors"?

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Stock tire sensors are for the air pressure monitoring system in our trucks. Apperantly someone posted that they are on the inside of the rim and connected somehow to the valve (I haven't brought up that part of the manual yet). But, if a tire guy just 'yanks' it out there goes $80 each!

chris

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
CaliforniaTitan said:
Stock tire sensors are for the air pressure monitoring system in our trucks. Apperantly someone posted that they are on the inside of the rim and connected somehow to the valve (I haven't brought up that part of the manual yet). But, if a tire guy just 'yanks' it out there goes $80 each!

chris
Interesting, I'll have to check into that.

·
Registered
123 Posts
yeah i ment 305's sorry still used to numbers in the 200's from my max. The tires have a sensor in them to tell of low air pressure about the size of a cell phone battery and its attached to the air stem.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
piopremier said:
yeah i ment 305's sorry still used to numbers in the 200's from my max. The tires have a sensor in them to tell of low air pressure about the size of a cell phone battery and its attached to the air stem.
Were you able to reuse the sensors with your new wheels & tires?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yes, I wonder also!

BigSkyLLC said:
Were you able to reuse the sensors with your new wheels & tires?
Yes, I am wondering also! I am probably going to pick up some 18" wheels to replace the stock wheels but re-use the factory tires on my Titan, but I want to retain the air-pressure sensors.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts