Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have these spots on a used 2012 Titan that I just purchased, on the trim at the base of the windows. The rest of the truck is in excellent condition and I would like to get this back to almost new condition.

Anyone have any idea what it is and the best way to remove it?

I have tried conventional cleaners and it doesn't budge.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Looks like grease. Try liquid detergent like dawn first then use your favorite wax to protect the paint.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Ever used Back to Black? Pretty good stuff for door handles and black trim. I'd try that after you try what Gabriel suggested was done.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
If cleaning it doesn't work, you can pull them off and spray them with bedliner. I did this on my old truck and it was actually very easy to do.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
i have read to never use dawn/ detergent on seals or plastic, don't remember why but.. as ^ that back to black or something similar may take it off

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
I had the same issue. Never got a speck of grease that high up on the truck. It's just the rubber molding and having damage from the sun. I didn't even bother taking them off the truck, just taped around them and bedlined them. Went from looking like shyte to looking brand new.

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have the same issue with my truck and I am here in Houston. I was thinking it might be mildew or mold or something on the rubber. I was going to try to clean them this weekend. Does anyone have pictures of them bedlined?

·
Registered
741 Posts
I have the same issue with my truck and I am here in Houston. I was thinking it might be mildew or mold or something on the rubber. I was going to try to clean them this weekend. Does anyone have pictures of them bedlined?
See the above post.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I plastidipped mine on my Lexus.
just tape off and spray it. Easy to remove if you mess up or overspray on the glass or paint.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So.....

I dove into this yesterday....

Rather than buy the Rustoleum Truck Bed Coating, I bought the Rustoleum Trim and Bumper Paint. Because, hey.... it's for trim and bumper.. right?

Bad move on my part. I should have taken everyone's advice. :-(

It didn't cover up the bad places on the trim and after 2 hours.. it was still too wet to put back on the truck.

So.. frustrated.. I said, Screw this!

I got out the mineral spirits, took all that off, then rubbed it down with some denatured alcohol and went back and got the Rustoleum Truck Bed Coating.

Here is where I eat some 'Humble Pie'.

One coat..looked amazing and hid all those crappy looking spots on the trim.

After and hour I was able to get them all back on the truck with minimal effort. One tiny smudge, but I found a few light wipes with a microfiber cloth took care of it.

Now I have an area above the back window that has those same spots on it. I will save that for another day and just mask all around it and spray that as well.

Thanks again everyone! :smile:

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Yeah my manager has an '08 Titan like I do, so he's running into the same minor issues that I am. I like to park next to him whenever I do something to my truck to see if he can figure it out. I was painting his trim the weekend after I did mine because his looked like crap too.

It's been about 7 months since I did it and I let the dog hang out the window. He's scratched it a bit, but not enough to make it noticeable and if it gets bad I'll just repaint.

·
Banned
319 Posts
I think this is a factory issue. I own a 2010. Mine are perfect. My brother bought his brand new in 2011 and he has that same funk that you show in the photo. My sister in law owns 2010 and hers looks the same as my brothers. I call it Titan fungus.

·
Registered
180 Posts
call it Nissan Molding Mold... had same issue on my fronty.. buildup of pollen/dew and moisture...

I think this is a factory issue. I own a 2010. Mine are perfect. My brother bought his brand new in 2011 and he has that same funk that you show in the photo. My sister in law owns 2010 and hers looks the same as my brothers. I call it Titan fungus.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts