1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
All the time :)

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
This is the second heaviest thing I've towed. The heaviest was a Case skid loader. I didn't have any problems either time :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
23 Ft rinker Ski boat...No problem pulling that out of the water even when its filled with water.

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
I also pull my lawnmower on a regular basis in the summer. No issues at all in the Tennessee summer heat. I take it out of OD and can't even tell it's back there

Attachments

·
Registered
266 Posts
Even with the little 2.94 gears you can still tow the equivalent of the big tow. Just do NOT exceed the 9,000lbs mark and have a class 4 hitch and heavy duty tongue. If you have an XE model or a model using the steel wheels, do not go over 6500lbs. The run down is close to this (give or take a 100-200lbs,

- XE 6500lbs (only reason being, steel wheels) 2.94
- SE 7500lbs (alloy wheels) 2.94
- LE 9000lbs (big tow) 3.36

Obviously big tow is optional so the order I listed may not apply. I say if it weighs less than 9,000lbs total and the distance is not too far, go for it. Keep it in 4th gear and keep the rpms up at inclines (over 3000 rpm), and you should be just fine. Personally, I have not towed anything large yet, but I have loaded over 2,000lbs in my bed and the truck still goes fine. I also have Hellwig LP15 helper springs... I too have researched the forums here and on CT and there have been some that push the limits of the 2.94 gears and never had issues... If you want to be extra safe, get a tranny oil cooler LPD4588. All Titans 3.36 and 2.94 have the same coolers, but this is just cheap insurance, and many of us have it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Even with the little 2.94 gears you can still tow the equivalent of the big tow. Just do NOT exceed the 9,000lbs mark and have a class 4 hitch and heavy duty tongue. If you have an XE model or a model using the steel wheels, do not go over 6500lbs. The run down is close to this (give or take a 100-200lbs,

Obviously big tow is optional so the order I listed may not apply. I say if it weighs less than 9,000lbs total and the distance is not too far, go for it. Keep it in 4th gear and keep the rpms up at inclines (over 3000 rpm), and you should be just fine. Personally, I have not towed anything large yet, but I have loaded over 2,000lbs in my bed and the truck still goes fine. I also have Hellwig LP15 helper springs... I too have researched the forums here and on CT and there have been some that push the limits of the 2.94 gears and never had issues... If you want to be extra safe, get a tranny oil cooler LPD4588. All Titans 3.36 and 2.94 have the same coolers, but this is just cheap insurance, and many of us have it.
thanks 8ball my trailer is 6102lb dry me the wife kid and beer probley be around 7000 7200 used to pull it with a durango with out a hemi so what you think be ok got a 2005 se crew without big tow ?? thanks again

·
Premium Member
58,568 Posts

That's a lot of advice from someone who hasn't towed much. I tow a lot but my load is in the 5000 Lb range so I don't feel qualified to make statements like the ones above. BTW, the tow ratings you have listed are wrong. My SE is rated at 9,400 Lbs and SE vs LE has nothing to so with towing ability. They are trim levels

To ovendude: There are many on this forum that routinely tow travel trailers and other heavy loads. They have a wealth of experience. Listen to them.

Reactions: J.Bahde

·
Super Moderator
37,150 Posts
thanks 8ball my trailer is 6102lb dry me the wife kid and beer probley be around 7000 7200 used to pull it with a durango with out a hemi so what you think be ok got a 2005 se crew without big tow ?? thanks again
Post up the specs of that trailer and I will help you work the numbers. Depending on the Specs, you could be OK.
Also let me know what truck you have and year.

Reactions: ovendude and Quartz

·
Premium Member
58,568 Posts
Post up the specs of that trailer and I will help you work the numbers. Depending on the Specs, you could be OK.
There you go! The cavalry comes to the rescue.

Reactions: ovendude and RobKar

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Been doing it trouble-free for 7 years now. 7,000# on the wheels in my Arctic Fox 26J trailer, when loaded and ready to go. Have easily been 25, to 30,000 miles with this rig.

Mine goes well, stops straight and safely. I keep my brain turned on when towing, and am aware of the total weight, acceleration distance, and stopping distance of the rig. I don't ever try to win any races when towing. I ease into any acceleration from a stop and let the truck shoulder the load as we go.

Had a couple conversations with a powertrain designer at Nissan, he confirmed that the load-carrying and towing weight in both BT and Non-BT were the same, mechanically. Bearing surfaces, axle construction, were all the same; the major difference back then was gearing; it was designed to allow the engine to turn faster at speed for better cooling, but he still saw no problem in towing with a non-BT truck. Actually thought it was a pretty good decision because it meant better gas mileage when not towing.

Can't speak to how they are now, but I hope that helps you.

Reactions: 8ball

·
Registered
637 Posts
Towed a huge heavy U-Haul trailer 1200 miles in a Non-BT Titan.
Up and down mountains for a good 400 miles.
Through rush hour in 3 of the largest cities in the US.
LOVED it! Far exceeded all expectations.

·
Premium Member
75,501 Posts
I towed a jeep on a uhaul trailer (total pain in the *** to set up right) about 150 miles, no issue.

I pull a 6x12 enclosed trailer weekly from april-november which weights 2000-2500 lbs loaded without issue.

I also move 14k twice a season, so far no issue.

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
No way.... If that's a Travel Trailer, I doubt it's as heavy as you think it is if the Durango handled it (I had a Durango SLT Plus 5.9 Magnum for awhile) and I think you'll want to keep it under 6,000-lbs actual weight on the scales fully loaded with a non-Big Tow package... IMHO, you should get the Big-Tow for anything between 6,200-7,000-lbs and forget towing over 7,000-lbs for over 500-miles with any Titan or any other 1/2-ton out on the market... Tundra guys will claim they're doing it, call them out, have them post their ACTUAL scale tickets and gas receipts with Trip-Odometer readings and the BS comes clear pretty quick.

At 7,000-lbs you're looking at about 150 miles per full tank of gas and for a tad over 7,000-lbs and the +1200-lbs actual Hitch Weight that comes with it, you'll be trying everything you can to Tame the Sway.

Read through NascarJody's recent threads... He hit the scales and posted his actual werights (I think around 7200-lbs) and soon found himself trading in for a Ram 3500 Cummins...

·
Super Moderator
37,150 Posts
No way.... If that's a Travel Trailer, I doubt it's as heavy as you think it is if the Durango handled it (I had a Durango SLT Plus 5.9 Magnum for awhile) and you'll want to keep it under 6,000-lbs actual weight on the scales fully loaded with a non-Big Tow package... You need the Big-Tow for anything between 6,000-7,000-lbs and forget towing over 7,000-lbs for over 500-miles with any Titan or any other 1/2-ton out on the market... Tundra guys will claim they're doing it, call them out, have them post their ACTUAL scale tickets and gas receipts with Trip-Odometer readings and the BS comes clear pretty quick.

At 7,000-lbs you're looking at about 150 miles per full tank of gas and for a tad over 7,000-lbs and the +1200-lbs actual Hitch Weight that comes with it, you'll be trying everything you can to Tame the Sway.
Pops, You have seen my weight slip and I am a tad over 8000. Granted I am setup as a train, with bags and hitch, but I have towed more then 500miles in one stretch without problems.
Would I do tow any more then that with the Titan? HELL no ... :)

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
Been doing it trouble-free for 7 years now. 7,000# on the wheels in my Arctic Fox 26J trailer, when loaded and ready to go. Have easily been 25, to 30,000 miles with this rig. .
Are you sure about the weight?? Finding real specs on that trailer is tough but I know my 30' TT is only around 6300-lbs on the scales, would the Arctic Fox 26J really be that much heavier?? :confused:

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
Pops, You have seen my weight slip and I am a tad over 8000. Granted I am setup as a train, with bags and hitch, but I have towed more then 500miles in one stretch without problems.
Would I do tow any more then that with the Titan? HELL no ... :)
Yea, I know and I'd do it too... Based on your info, I thought Jody and some others would be fine as well... Jody isn't the only one who's gotten himself in too heavy, there were a couple others on RV.net... Everyone is different, some of us can and some aren't comfortable, there's so many variables... I do think this guy will be fine with a Big Tow, but I really think we should get some actual facts before telling him he'll be fine with a 2005 little tow. Heck, we don't even know where he is yet, he could be driving up steep mountains everday for all we know so far.. :dunno:

Sorry, I'm still a little in the "WTF??" mode because there's a guy on a boat forum asking about towing, launching, and landing his 20' pontoon boat with a Honda CRV... With NO details other than what I've repeated here, there's a few replies telling him to ignore the naysayers and he'll be fine... :lol:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No way.... If that's a Travel Trailer, I doubt it's as heavy as you think it is if the Durango handled it (I had a Durango SLT Plus 5.9 Magnum for awhile) and I think you'll want to keep it under 6,000-lbs actual weight on the scales fully loaded with a non-Big Tow package... IMHO, you should get the Big-Tow for anything between 6,200-7,000-lbs and forget towing over 7,000-lbs for over 500-miles with any Titan or any other 1/2-ton out on the market... Tundra guys will claim they're doing it, call them out, have them post their ACTUAL scale tickets and gas receipts with Trip-Odometer readings and the BS comes clear pretty quick.

Read through NascarJody's recent threads... He hit the scales and posted his actual werights (I think around 7200-lbs) and soon found himself trading in for a Ram 3500 Cummins...

hey pops its 2006 sunnybrook 267rl on the scales its 6102lb 26 foot with slide out i have a 2005 le no big tow sorry posted it was a se but its a le had a 2007 durango towed it but not well

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks rob the trailer is a 2006 sunnbrook 267rl 26 foot got a 2005 le crew no big tow and i did tow it with a 2007 durango no hemi it towed it but not well thanks for anymore info you can give hope ill be ok cause the wife will kill me for tradeing in again to get a titan :bangit: on the scales the trailer is 6102 dry

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
You might be ok with that... Is it ready to tow or do you still need to install a hitch receiver, etc?? If you don't have a Transmission Temp Guage, I'd get one installed... Being a 2005, TruTrac might not be a bad idea to keep from blowing a rear diff spider gear. I think the only difference you'd likely notice might be some low end torque. Heck, I've sometimes wished I had the little tow gears to get better HWY MPG because I think my TT might still tow fine with the small gears.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts