Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '04 Titan with 316,000 miles on it. Back in 2013 I installed JBA long tube headers and the Cajun B-pipes with high flow cats. Easily one of the best upgrades I've done to the truck (along with the Uprev tuner).

So it's been about 200,000 miles since i did that install. I've been getting P0420 codes over the last three months. I was gong to switch out the downstream sensors; moving bank 1 over to bank 2 and vice versa. As luck would have it, I cannot get the O2 sensors out without removing the b-pipe altogether. So I've decided to remove the pipes this weekend and go ahead and replace the downstream sensors on both banks with brand new ones that I just ordered off of Rockauto.com, as well as replace the gaskets with new Nissan OEM replacements from Courtesyparts.com. There's no guarantee that replacing the downstream sensors will resolve my problem as the cats might just be worn out.

So here's my question: when i remove the b-pipes, assuming the honeycomb looking stuff inside is fully intact and there's no loose debris, should I try cleaning the cats via an overnight soaking in water and Dawn dish soap? Has anyone tried this on the Cajun catted b-pipes (I'm NOT looking for feedback on any other aftermarket brand)? If so, did it make a difference?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
1,315 Posts
does that work on cats? i have never heard of catalytic converter cleaning, is why i ask.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I googled it and read multiple pieces of content / YouTube videos where people soaked them in Dawn dish soap and water overnight. Some claimed it made a difference. Others not so much.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'd love to see a picture of your cats side by side.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
are you referring to wanting to see a before and after if i end up soaking them overnight?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just read the link you shared. No idea if the cats look the same. I haven't paid that close of attention to them since I installed the b-pipes in 2013. What I can tell you is the customer service Jeff provides at Cajun B-Pipes is fantastic! I'm sure he'll be more than happy to address any concerns you might have.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just read the link you shared. No idea if the cats look the same. I haven't paid that close of attention to them since I installed the b-pipes in 2013. What I can tell you is the customer service Jeff provides at Cajun B-Pipes is fantastic! I'm sure he'll be more than happy to address any concerns you might have.
I wish that I shared those same feelings. I'm not trying to be "that guy" but when I reached out to him about it he seemed uninterested in the issue and left me with a take it or leave it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Man, sorry to hear that. I'll take a picture of mine side by side after i pull them out on saturday and post it here for you

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you sir! I wish you a good outcome with your cleaning project too. I'd like to know how that turns out too.
So my curiosity was killing me. I just crawled under my truck and measured each cat. They are both ~8" in length from the O2 sensor bung to where the cat is welded to the pipe. The body of the cats themselves are identical in diameter and in length.

NOTE: My measurements are on the high flow cats, not the heavy metal cats.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So my curiosity was killing me. I just crawled under my truck and measured each cat. They are both ~8" in length from the O2 sensor bung to where the cat is welded to the pipe. The body of the cats themselves are identical in diameter and in length.

NOTE: My measurements are on the high flow cats, not the heavy metal cats.
Thanks for the update. Good luck this weekend.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts