Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings fellow Titan owners!
I have been here learning a lot from you all even before I took delivery of my Deepwater KC 4X4. Now I finally have a question that I would like your thoughts on.
I currently have 750 miles on my truck and I am thinking of switching to Amsoil at my first oil change. The main reason that I chose Amsoil in particular is due to the extended oil drain intervals. They claim that if you also use their oil filter that you can run the oil for 25,000 miles or change oil once a year. I am a firm believer in the superiority of synthetics over regular oil, but 25K miles without an oil change seems too good to be true.
Just wondering if any of you have used or are currently using Amsoil in any of your vehicles and if you plan to use it in your Titan.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am a true believer of Amsoil. It delivers superior protection, way better than anything else I have ever tried. I get mine from a local Amsoil rep named Jason. You can contact him at [email protected], he can have it shipped right to your door and might be able to offer a discount.

You can absolutely go with the longer oil change intervals with Amsoil but I usually go a little shorter just because I'm very particular and I drive in extreme conditions.

My Titan will only see Amsoil Synthetic oil while I own it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Titanic Tiff said:
Greetings fellow Titan owners!
I have been here learning a lot from you all even before I took delivery of my Deepwater KC 4X4. Now I finally have a question that I would like your thoughts on.
I currently have 750 miles on my truck and I am thinking of switching to Amsoil at my first oil change. The main reason that I chose Amsoil in particular is due to the extended oil drain intervals. They claim that if you also use their oil filter that you can run the oil for 25,000 miles or change oil once a year. I am a firm believer in the superiority of synthetics over regular oil, but 25K miles without an oil change seems too good to be true.
Just wondering if any of you have used or are currently using Amsoil in any of your vehicles and if you plan to use it in your Titan.
Considering that oils and lubes is my job on a research level I think I may be able to give you the info necessary for you to make an intelligent decision. Amsoil is a PAO basestock just like Mobil One. They use specifically basestocks from Mobil/Exxon. They buy their additive packages from Lubrizol. They are a blender, not a refiner. That is who Amsoil is. They claim to be the first with synthetics which is a blatant lie as synthetics origin goes back to 1928 by Standard Oil Co. Chevron made the synthetics a marketable option back in 1954 before Amsoil was a company. Their marketing sucks and usually their following act like brainwashed idiots. BUT, I would assume that the info that you want is: Is it any good? Yes. I would not suggest their XL 7500 as it is a Gp III dino oil that can be had for considerably less money in other brands. Their 100% synthetic (not true but is for the most part) is built for extended oil changes. Sounds great- right. Maybe- should you have engine or emmissions failure that is oil related, you are on your own as the oils are not API approved which is required to maintain your warranty. How often does this happen? Not with any regularity but it happens. And don't buy off on their claims that truck manufacturers and dealers don't analize oil, we do it about 20 times a week for my area alone. But, back to is it any good. It performs good for extended changes but I would suggest that you read further than you have. They recommend ( and rightfully so) that you have your oil analized at 5,000 miles and every 5,000 miles after that. So, for a 25,000 mile extended change, you are going to have the oil analized 4 times at a cost of around $20.each for a total of $80.00. Add this to the cost of the oil to begin with. I also would not suggest any other oil filter but theirs. It is designed to work for the long haul. I would also recommend a by-pass filtration system if you are going to get on the program. It will keep the oil cleaner longer. These by-pass filters can be had from them for about $250. and worth the bucks if using their oils. Amsoil also claims that they have never had to pay off on any engine/oil related failure. They are correct. If you have an engine/oil related failure, they aren't going to pay you one red cent. Also, don't buy off on superior protection that they want to feed you. It's bogus at best. Properly maintained engines with Wal-mart .89 dino go just as far as the engines using Amsoil or any other over priced boutique oil. The areas that synthetics excel are cold start pump rates (but not by a lot anymore), high stress and high heat (pulling a trailer with the ambient temp 110F+), and draining the unknowing purchasers pocketbook. It's your truck and your money, if it gives you a warm fuzzy, it won't hurt your baby but it also won't make it go any more miles either. There are no magic bullets in motor oils.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I use Amsoil motorcycle oil in all my bikes. I am VERY pleased with the product. I will more than likely give them a shot starting at 6k miles in the Titan, but if the valve train gets louder, I will go back to dino.

I've read a lot of unbias oil reviews for motorcycles, and Amsoil always has some of the absolute BEST results...

·
Registered
79 Posts
All I know about amsoil is that motorcycle consumer news (bike mag that has no advertising) rated them very highly in tests compared to other bike oils. Having said that, I would never run any vehicle close to 25K without an oil change. The oil may be OK, but there is still junk in it. With the quality of todays oils, I think changing oil every 3000 miles is excessive and a money maker for the oil companies and repair shops. I change mine every 5-7K and always use high quality synthetic. Exceptions might be extensive offroad or heavy pulling, then more frequent changes might make sense.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for the great information, especially Trapper L. It sure is nice to have access to someone who researches lubricants for a living and doesn't give you any BS. I will give Amsoil a try once I am sure that the engine is thoroughly broken in, but I now doubt that I will run it for 25k miles. I know that I wont send samples out every 5k miles, so I may change oil and filter every 10k miles.
I am also a motorcyclist and I have read the oil comparison tests in MCN and other publications. Amsoil does usually score very well which is why I wanted to use it. I currently use Mobil 1 MX4T in my bike and I run it for six or seven thousand miles before I change it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
AMSOIL and API

Trapper L said:
Considering that oils and lubes is my job on a research level I think I may be able to give you the info necessary for you to make an intelligent decision. Amsoil is a PAO basestock just like Mobil One. They use specifically basestocks from Mobil/Exxon. They buy their additive packages from Lubrizol. They are a blender, not a refiner.
These forms are nice for others to post their expert opinions unfortunately Trapper L does have a few “not so expert” statements in his reply. Maybe he does work in the oil research business but he is lacking in his knowledge of what AMSOIL products claim and how you apply them to each application you use them in. I am and have been one of their “quote (following act like brainwashed idiots) end quote” users and an AMSOIL dealer or over 20 years and have gained knowledge about synthetics in general by doing research like reading the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE on your oil bottle) papers published on the benefits of synthetics and researching web sites NOT related to AMSOIL about oils in general along with yes AMSOIL published information about synthetics.

In addition, as an FAA licensed Aircraft mechanic with over 15 years experience I have been exposed to the performance and benefits that come from synthetic oils. The first synthetic oils really where developed by the Germans for use in their first jet-powered aircraft. In addition, all jet aircraft use synthetic oils in the engine and most in the hydraulic systems. These oils are of a different Group of synthetics with different additives but they are the only oils that will work in turbine engines.

In mechanical sound engines, the oil change interval is either 25,000 miles or 1 year and you change the oil filter at 12,500 miles or 6 months (when using the AMSOIL Super Duty Oil filter) which does a much better job of filtration than a standard paper filter.

There is NO requirement to do oil analysis every 5,000 miles when using their full synthetic (100%) oils. The statement of AMSOIL not being the first to develop synthetic oils is correct but the claim is AMSOIL is the “First to develop in 1972 an API –rated 100% Synthetic Motor oil”, this was long before the other oil companies even made a synthetic oil. AMSOIL has over 30 years of synthetic product research and development, much longer then the ones that are now offering synthetic oils. His claim that motor oils have to be API approved to meet a warranty requirement is also not so correct. If he knows oils so well he should know that in order for any oil (petroleum or synthetics) to meet the API standards and be “API Approved/Licensed” and keep that approval ALL oils have to be tested to get the approval, which is very expensive. Along with the costs any changes require testing again to maintain the API Approval/License.

I doubt many of your oil products you find in Wal-Mart or many parts stores is API approved. API rated is the norm and this what you will see listed on most oils.

Some AMSOIL motor oils are API licensed the 5W-30 (XLF), 5W-20 (XLM) or 10W-30 (XLT) XL-7500 and the 15W-40 (PCO) are API licensed oils.

An API (American Petroleum Institute) license indicates that a specific motor oil formulation has passed the minimum performance standards as defined by a series of laboratory bench, physical, chemical and engine tests. These tests were selected and minimum performance standards were set by the API Lubricants Committee to address specific areas such as engine wear, deposits, fuel economy, emissions, etc. The committee is comprised of representatives from automobile, oil and additive companies. The current specification as of 2004 is SL/CI-4.

AMSOIL’s research and development lab subjects their oils to test that other oil companies do not even use. Longer drain intervals are the norm for Europe where they have more stringent testing of oils then the US has and they have been using synthetics for many years with drain intervals of 10,000 to 15,000 miles a year.

One thing about AMSOIL synthetic oils over other brands is the additive packages used to gain the performance AMSOIL has over other synthetic oils. This can account for the higher cost when comparing AMSOIL to other synthetic oils. These added performance additives are also what allow AMSOIL to go a longer distance then the rest.

To see some of the tests that show just how much better AMSOIL is than some other oils follow the link to the web site. http://www.amsoil.com/performancetests/g1971/index.html

If you would like more info on API Approved/Licensed procedures email me and I can send you some. [email protected]

·
Registered
530 Posts
My Titan's manual specifically recommends mineral oil, and not even Nissan mineral oil, so I will probably go with that. Nissan recommends mineral oil even for the new 350Z.

Interesting that SYNLUBEDEALER has just one post. If you try to find oil comparisons on the web using search engines, almost every link is to an Amsoil dealer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks all for Very interesting info

I tend to go with CaliforniaT on this one. My credential are simply common sense.

1. WHY skimp on prob the most important and least costly item of maint on your very expensive baby. Change 'em and often, c'mon we pay 30 plus dollars a fill up to drive this excellent ride and oil change cost pale in comparison.

2. Call your dealer and warranty holder and get in writing that this is an approved oil for their repairs. Heck dont give them your VIN even, but get the info!

3. Keep reading and placing these post because it inspires and reminds us to do the best for these mortgages we drive today ;-)

just my 2 cents to an excellent forum. :huh:

·
Registered
514 Posts
Ya, it seems every amsoil dealer will tell you the story and post the same links to the same tests.

Bottom line is being "first" doesn't mean you're the best. Otherwise we'd all be driving Fords.. (well, you get what I mean. LOL!)

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
bvstone1 said:
Ya, it seems every amsoil dealer will tell you the story and post the same links to the same tests.

Bottom line is being "first" doesn't mean you're the best. Otherwise we'd all be driving Fords.. (well, you get what I mean. LOL!)
God I just fell off my chair!!!!! You hit the nail on the head with that statement - Just because they are 'first in sales' does it necessairly mean its the best product?

I think everyone just has to go with what is best for them and thier thought process in all choices, not just vehicles etc. It wasn't too awful long ago that people in the 'market' had thier number one picks for long term continued growth etc etc in the tech stock area and we all know what happened there......

Chris

1 - 12 of 12 Posts