Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of quitting cable TV (ESPN 360 means I can watch sports on my 360 now- worse comes to worse I can just do cable those 3 months of the year).

But... My main concern, is being able to watch Modern Family, The Office, Family Guy... All the new shows.
I don't want to watch them on a 13" screen. I want them on my big screen HDTV with surround sound glory.

So who has heard of Roku/Boxee/Google TV, and used them?
If it can let me watch the new episodes (granted it might be a day later)- that's all I need it to do. My 360 will do Netflix. More features is a plus.
Preferably, I'd like to set it to "remember" the shows I watch, too. And say, "Hey! The new episode of this is up!".

Anyone use any of those?

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have used a Roku in the past for streaming Netflix and it worked great. No issues whatsoever. Only reason I'm not using it now is that Netflix can now be streamed via PS3 and Wii. I use PS3 almost exclusively with my big screen now. The other services you mentioned unfortunately I have no experience with.

·
Premium Member
17,038 Posts
I have a Vizio BluRay player that will also stream Netflix, Pandora, Vudu (HD movies on demand). I think best results are obtained with a high bandwidth connection, cuz I have Qwest DSL in the boonies and the quality ain't that great. Comcast has been threatening and has been accused of throttling Netflix also, because Netflix consumes alot of bandwidth and competes with Comcast cable TV. I have not paid much attention to that recently.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, not needing it for the Netflix (I have a 360). Just new network shows.

My internet connection is fat enough at 10MB

·
Registered
191 Posts
I just got the Roku XDS, and love it. You do lose out on some of the sports channels, but whatever you can get over the air using external HD antenna is fair game. It really depends on what you watch most, when, and how much you are trying to save. Netflix subscription $8 - $10, plus Huluplus $8 gives you all the shows you mentioned, versus $60+ for extended cable. And with Roku, you can get AmazonVideo, which allows you access to other TV episodes but have to pay. So depending on which shows you follow, how many, and if you can watch any from your computer, you still save a ton of $$$.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can't really pick up any HD channels OTA. Maybe 2 with one antenna. It's never been worth it to try again, I'd have to install like 3-4 antennas to get just the major networks. And what with ESPN being the only one broadcasting the college games anymore, even major networks suck for sports.

Problem with Hulu is it doesn't have some of the shows I watch, like CSI, Criminal Minds, Big Bang Theory (I think it's a CBS thing). So- I'd have to watch those online a different way anyway.
Don't get me wrong, $8/mo would probably be worth the ease, but when I have to defer to a browser for stuff it's pointless.

I'll be getting the Netflix BluRay Subscription, probably ($12 or 13 I think).
I'll be knocking $50 off my bill (The internet goes up when I remove the bundle). Minus Netflix = $38 or so a month saved. Not a whole lot but when I'll be getting the same stuff- no use paying $38/mo more.

·
Premium Member
37,152 Posts
I've been using Hulu for all the network shows, it's been great. I haven't had a need to even upgrade to Hulu Plus yet the commercials are so short. An hour long show on network tv only takes 45 minutes to get through on Hulu.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess I'll just share my current working plan...

Throw a PC under the TV. Install VNC on it... Remotely control it from my laptop. That way I can browse to the network sites, play videos full screen on my TV.

It's less than ideal because it's not as simple as using a remote, but it's entirely free.

I might buy a wireless keyboard with a mouse on it at some point, once I determine this is a setup I can live with. (like the dinovo edge or mini).

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've been using Hulu for all the network shows, it's been great. I haven't had a need to even upgrade to Hulu Plus yet the commercials are so short. An hour long show on network tv only takes 45 minutes to get through on Hulu.
Do you watch any CBS shows?

Also I thought Hulu Plus was the only way you get full episodes now? Is that not true?

Oh, and I just plug my laptop onto my TV through HDMI...
Yeah I considered doing that but sometimes I like to browse while watching TV.

·
Premium Member
37,152 Posts
Do you watch any CBS shows?

Also I thought Hulu Plus was the only way you get full episodes now? Is that not true?

Yeah I considered doing that but sometimes I like to browse while watching TV.
Honestly, I don't even know what shows are on what networks anymore :lol:

Regular Hulu gives you full episodes for the current season and commercials. But the commercials are literally 15 second breaks, they go just as fast as fast forwarding through them on a DVR.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Honestly, I don't even know what shows are on what networks anymore :lol:

Regular Hulu gives you full episodes for the current season and commercials. But the commercials are literally 15 second breaks, they go just as fast as fast forwarding through them on a DVR.
So Hulu Plus just gives you back season's episodes (who cares?) and less commercials?

·
Premium Member
37,152 Posts
So Hulu Plus just gives you back season's episodes (who cares?) and less commercials?
And the ability to watch on their mobile clients. But that's my sentiment...I still have DirecTV for the baseball package, but it's cheaper through MLB.tv to get games...so between Hulu, my 360, Netfilx and MLB.tv, there's pretty much no reason for me to have a cable or satellite provider...

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And the ability to watch on their mobile clients. But that's my sentiment...I still have DirecTV for the baseball package, but it's cheaper through MLB.tv to get games...so between Hulu, my 360, Netfilx and MLB.tv, there's pretty much no reason for me to have a cable or satellite provider...
Yea then I don't need Hulu Plus. I don't know why I was led to believe I had to have it :p

Then it actually makes sense to maybe get a Roku. If I could live without the CBS shows.... that way I don't need to do the whole web browser thing, I just need the Roku and it's sweet interface.

Decisions decisions...

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh. You've got to have Hulu Plus to use it on the Roku. LOL. Dangit.

(Does the Roku track new episodes? "Hey, new Episode of The Office is up on Hulu"???)

At first I thought the Roku connected to Hulu Free... I was thinking, "I could live without CBS"
But since you have to pay $8/mo to get Hulu working on the Roku and I STILL don't have CBS- that kindof sucks.

·
Banned
815 Posts
I've been thinking of doing this too. But like texus many of my favorite shows are on CBS, which doesn't go to HULU, though from what I understand you can watch at CBS.com. My question is can the ROKU get me to cbs' website to watch those shows, or do I have plug my computer into my tv? My other problem, is sports, I love football(which we may or may not get this year) and basketball, and if I were not able to get these especially NBA playoff's and finals, it's just not worth it for me. I know baseball has MLB.tv, but to be honest I watch more games in person than I do on tv so I don't really care about that, does the NFL and NBA offer anything like this? I'm also a Discovery, History, Food Network, and FNC junky, are all of those available on ROKU or boxee, I've hear the googletv thing has been kind of knocked out of contention by many major networks, tho it sounds pretty awesome. I have a 360 but I was looking at some of the tv programs on there and I'm just not willing to pay $1 an episode to watch tv. I want to get away from cable, especially since between my cable and internet I'm paying almost $150 a month, but the sports is actually enough to make me continue paying that, I'm just not ready to give up my sports. Anyone started using any of these since this thread died that has anymore input?

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
An update from me on this... I tried it and quickly, quit.

My TV is too big. Even hooking up a computer and going to say, CBS' main website and watching them that way... The resolution is not nearly as good as what comes from my cable provider. It looks like my cable provider's SD.
On a display as large as mine, it looks like crap.

So I went back, simply because of that. I did get $10-15 taken off per month though by threatening to quit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Selecting the best device for streaming is always good to access the top and entertaining channels such as Channels TV Live. If you prefer Roku, we have top streaming gadgets such as Roku express, Roku Ultra, Roku streaming stick and Roku premiere. Apart from Roku, we have other platforms that include Chrome cast, Fire stick, Apple TV. Check out the reviews; understand the features and specifications of these devices before you activate Channels TV Live

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
8 Participants
aragates
Nissan Titan Forum
Nissan Titan Talk Forum is a community for truck owners to discuss the Titan Cummins, Warrior, Midnight Edition and more!
Full Forum Listing