Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to just keep my stock 18's and spray them instead of buying new wheels as of right now. Was wondering out of all you guys that have done is there a how to and really just a recommendation on how much paint to get .... got a galaxy black cc 4x4 04.... want to paint wheels flat black and front grill flat black also stock side rail flat black and think it will really pop what you guys think .... thanks for the help

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am bedlinning my stock 18s right now as we speak. So if you wanted to do something like that I know about it. If you want to just straight paint them I am really not sure.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I bedlined my 18s--used 8 cans of rustoleum bedliner. sanded the finish down to the metal rim and primed and bedlined.

·
Premium Member
20,599 Posts
I painted a set of steel 16" wheels (non-Titan) and used four cans of paint. If my technique and paint was better I think I could have done it with three cans. I used the VHT wheel paint and it went on like crap (primer and clear went on fine) and was twice as expensive as the plain Rustoleum that came from Ace Hardware. I sprayed the Rustoleum on one wheel just for giggles and it went on just fine. Don't forget to put some clearcoat on after the paint. Be sure you allocate plenty of time for this. With the VHT it wasn't real clear from the instructions on how much time was necessary between the primer, paint and clearcoat. The instructions only addressed coats within each item (like just the paint). I think if you didn't get the next coat on within an hour then it was like days that you had to wait. VHT was hard to find also. I ordered twelve cans from Amazon.com (4 primer, 4 paint, 4 clearcoat).

Two points for the VHT: It is very run-resistant and each coat dried very fast. I could sand the primer after five minutes. As someone else said, you'll paint your first set of wheels and every set after that you'll powdercoat. I couldn't agree more. Never, ever again will I paint wheels. If you buy cheap paint and you don't like the look what's the worst that's going to happen? Sand it off a bit and spray something else on. No big deal.

The benefit of painting your wheels is if they get scratched up you just shoot more paint on them. After I mounted my (black) painted wheels the chrome lug nuts really stood out. So I sprayed those while they were holding the wheels on. Much better. I sort of felt like a redneck for painting them while they were on the vehicle but my Ranger is 20 years old and it's been rode hard and put up wet so a little overspray wasn't going to matter. I would have to spank myself if I got anywhere close to my Titan with a can of spray paint.

FWIW, I think the VHT and Duplicolor wheel paints are the same thing with different labels. Both went on like crap the exact same way. Duplicolor owns VHT.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bedlined my 18s--used 8 cans of rustoleum bedliner. sanded the finish down to the metal rim and primed and bedlined.
ok so how bad was it to sand all the way down to the metal? I did this once before on some old tuner 18's I had on my Scion and I just sanded the clear coat off thats not what you mean is it?????? also what did you use for primer? and what 2 cans of paint per wheel? you got any pics of just your wheels would love to see them

·
Registered
178 Posts
bedliner is easier to do than regular paint and will hold up better. just sanded the clear coat off-make sure you clean the wheels before and after sanding. used one can per wheel. also used a semi-gloss clear coat on top of bedliner. have a friend that used the flat black clearcoat on his fronty and he loves it. so far no chips except where i scratched them b/c it wasn't dry yet- make sure you let it dry all the way. but even if they do chip- its an easy cheap fix. plenty of info/instructions and pics on here- just do a search.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I bedlined the wheels on my 08. I just lightly sanded them all and wiped them down good with a prep spray. I bought 5 cans and used one per wheel. It held up good while I had it. I will probably go with powdercoating on the 2010 since I don't feel like doing the work again right now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts