Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if April 4 production date is still a go for installing the elocker? That was the original date given to me by Nissan for assembly line installation to begin.

·
Premium Member
17,240 Posts
barnold said:
Does anyone know if April 4 production date is still a go for installing the elocker? That was the original date given to me by Nissan for assembly line installation to begin.
Is this going to be available for dealer installation on existing trucks?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Is the e-locker only for 4x4? I asked my broker to see if he could squeeze in my order for the e-locker and he said its only slated for 4x4 not 4x2.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
4x4 only

Yes, it is designed for the 4x4's only and will only function in low range 4 wheel drive.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
barnold said:
Yes, it is designed for the 4x4's only and will only function in low range 4 wheel drive.
From my point of view if this is true, a standard locking diff/limited slip would be way better for me, then I could get the benefits everyday when I'm driving along in 2WD high.

·
Registered
27 Posts
barnold said:

I called Nissan on Monday and asked this question. All the guy knew was that April was supposed to be the production date, and he hasn't heard anything different. He also didn't know what the price increase will be.

·
Banned
1,451 Posts
moose44 said:
He also didn't know what the price increase will be.
When I ordered my truck, the dealer assured me that there will be no price increase with the inclusion of the rear e-locker in the off-road package. I paid $607 (invoice) for the off-road package.

Of course, because dealers aren't exactly on the leading edge of price determination, he could very well have been telling tales...

Wait'n'see...

·
Registered
212 Posts
Are you guys sure about the Electronic Locking diff being only on the 4x4? I thought it was also on the 4x2 w/offroad.

Nick

·
Registered
739 Posts
The reason the e-locker is only available in 4-low probably has to do with Nissan not wanting people to drive around at speeds with their rear wheels locked - especially on surfaces that aren't really slippery. When you lock the back tires, both wheels turn at the same speed. Going around corners is going to cause binding on sticky surfaces like pavement, or it is going to cause some loss of control on slippery surfaces. In effect, you don't want to be driving around corners on a snow or ice covered road with both your back tires locked together.

An e-locker is primarily for low speed situations where you need the extra traction; like in a mud bog or deep snow.

Because of this, I would assume it is only available in 4-low which means it is probably not available on 2wd as a 2wd doesn't have a low gear.

This is just my take so take it with a grain of salt, if you will! :cheers:

·
Registered
212 Posts
keane said:
The reason the e-locker is only available in 4-low probably has to do with Nissan not wanting people to drive around at speeds with their rear wheels locked - especially on surfaces that aren't really slippery. When you lock the back tires, both wheels turn at the same speed. Going around corners is going to cause binding on sticky surfaces like pavement, or it is going to cause some loss of control on slippery surfaces. In effect, you don't want to be driving around corners on a snow or ice covered road with both your back tires locked together.

An e-locker is primarily for low speed situations where you need the extra traction; like in a mud bog or deep snow.

Because of this, I would assume it is only available in 4-low which means it is probably not available on 2wd as a 2wd doesn't have a low gear.

This is just my take so take it with a grain of salt, if you will! :cheers:
That makes sence. Thanks for explaining it. I guess I'll just need a wench for next time I get stuck on the beach. LOL

Nick

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
4x2 maybe

Maybe it will be available on the 4x2. This is not what was explained to me but I will copy and paste an email that a friend received from Nissan...This sorta sounds like a yes for the 4x2. Nissan seems to have a new mystery answer daily.

This is his original message with his name omitted for privacy:

Gentlemen -
Your news release regarding the Nissan Titan mentions the
"Class-Exclusive Switch On Demand Electronically Controlled Locking Rear
Differential" will have "late availability". I am considering the
purchase of a new large pickup and have narrowed the choice between your
new Nissan Titan King Cab SE 4x2 and the 2004 Ford F-150 Supercab XLT
4x2.
When will the locking differential be made available for the SE two
wheel drive as an option? This is a major decision point for me and a
specific release date would make a decision favorable to the Titan much
more likely.
Thank you for your response.

This is Nissan's response:

Thank you for taking the time to personally contact us about your interest in Nissan products.
Currently, the Electronic Locking Differential is scheduled to begin production on April 4, 2004. For more information regarding the Nissan Titan, please visit the website listed below as it has the most up to date information.
We hope that this information answers your question, but if you need any additional information or have further questions, please let us know by reply e-mail or by calling 1-800-647-7263 and pressing "0" for a live operator.
Also, make sure to take a look at our website, www.NissanUSA.com, for the most up-to-date product information.
At Nissan, we are committed to a high level of customer service.
Sincerely,
Nissan North America

·
Registered
174 Posts
barnold said:
Nope, It is available in the 2x4. I emailed nissan about it here is the responce. Also i asked if you can use the locker in 4hi but they said
that info is not yet avaliable... :huh: they release it in 2 days but dont
know that....lame

Thank you for taking the time to personally contact us about your
interest in Nissan products.

The electronic locker, which will be offered for both 2X4 and 4X4, is
scheduled for production April 5, 2004. Also, technical information is
not available at this time.

We hope that this information answers your question, but if you need
any additional information or have further questions, please let us know
by reply e-mail or by calling 1-800-647-7263 and pressing "0" for a
live operator.

Also, make sure to take a look at our website, www.NissanUSA.com, for
the most up-to-date product information.

At Nissan, we are committed to a high level of customer service.

Sincerely,

Nissan North America

·
Registered
250 Posts
If the e-locker is indeed available in the 2WD truck, I am sure Nissan will limit its use to 1st gear. They are not going to leave themselves open to lawsuits that can result from accidents using a locked differential at highway speeds.

In the Toyota 2WD Tacoma Prerunner, the locker can not be engaged unless you are at 5mph or less. And even after engagement, Toyota recomends that you not exceed 5mph. Some owners of 4WD Tacomas have modified their wiring to allow engagement of the locker when in 2WD.

·
Banned
1,451 Posts
Titan Tech said:
Guys, I talked to the Dana rep. yesterday. He said we should receive our first shipments of e-diffs on Monday. I will give more details as I learn more.
Thanks for the post!

Do you officially represent Nissan in any capacity, or are you here unofficially?

Either is fine - glad you're here!

·
Registered
134 Posts
keane said:

yeah, this is how th e'95-'97 Toyota Landcruisers with the optional

front & rear lockers worked, only in 4-Lo

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
good news

Titan Tech said:
Guys, I talked to the Dana rep. yesterday. He said we should receive our first shipments of e-diffs on Monday. I will give more details as I learn more.
This sounds like good news for those of us with trucks on order for April build. Is there any way we can tell from order # etc. if our particular truck will get the elocker......thanks, Bill

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I have to say, this news about the e-locker has me contemplating not getting a Titan. I have got to have a posi-track or LSD in my truck. I have never owned a 4x4 that did not have this feature because it is too important in the snow. If Nissan is coming to market with no intention of developing a posi-track this is an oversight of huge proportions.

The more I learn about the Titan here the sadder I get...
:crying:

·
Registered
739 Posts
Quad T said:
I have to say, this news about the e-locker has me contemplating not getting a Titan. I have got to have a posi-track or LSD in my truck. I have never owned a 4x4 that did not have this feature because it is too important in the snow. If Nissan is coming to market with no intention of developing a posi-track this is an oversight of huge proportions.

The more I learn about the Titan here the sadder I get...
:crying:
Posi in a truck? What truck have you owned that has a true posi? As to LSD, nissan has a different form but it acts just like a LSD yet it is better in certain ways for the 4wd because it works on all 4 wheels. As I stated before, the e-locker(which is essentailly "posi") is for "mud bogging" and DEEEEEEP snow situations. I am not aware of any other pickup trucks having this feature without going aftermarket.

If you want a vehicle for true off-roading, that is what they make Jeeps and hummers for. The long wheelbase, wide trucks aren't made for this.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts